Romney flip-flops on abortion...again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vega07, Oct 9, 2012.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

Link

Says the guy who promised to overturn Roe v. Wade, and cut funding to Planned Parenthood, declaring that tax-payer money funds abortions (even though we all know it's against the law).

His own campaign then has to backtrack for him with a statement two hours later:
    Jeez Romney, why don't you just go the entire mile and say you'll fund abortions with your own money to win over women?

This man is ****ing scary.

How do you debate a psychopath?

Best of luck to Obama and Biden in the upcoming debates because given the recent poll numbers, American is in deep s***.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Obama can't debate where he needs to speak extemporaneously. He's not capable of independent thought and his handlers cannot prepare him in depth enough to do so.

He won't perform well in any of the debates. Hasn't yet. No reason to think that will change unless the format changes and they get to prepare statements to read off a TelePrompTer ahead of time.

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks so much for a good laugh at 1 AM.

On a more serious note, I also read Romney flip-flopped on his apology about the 47%. He said to CNN that "the words that came out were not what I meant."

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Judging by the tings he used to say in the past, I believe Romney is more centrist than he could admit to with the GOP breathing down his neck. Since he is supposed to represent their views - which we all know are so far beyond realistic - he will make these blurts to get people leaning towards Obama('s views) to sympathize with and vote for him - whatever he will actually do when elected is relative to how well he can convince his "peers" to meet the opposition halfway in the middle.

If you take the Republican platform out of the equation, I think he's an OK guy.

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

1) Who's to say we won't have conservatives breathing down his neck when he becomes POTUS? I mean, he does have the (R) next to his name, and we all know very well the unrealistic views the Republican party has written on its platform.

2) Romney has taken sleazy to so many new levels I never thought existed. I want someone with more integrity as my President.

6. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Even Obama has conservatives breathing down his neck now and he's got a big, fat (D) next to his name. I'm not saying Romney is better but he doesn't really fit the Republican formula, he's just a good debater and happens to be a better business man - the only thing the GOP is interested in.

But with Romney in office and his more "liberal" views on certain issues, even the average Republican might flip in the next four years and will be more open-minded, helping American society move forward than holding it back in 1955.

With four more years of Obama, the same nonsense will continue and nothing will get done - ever. Unless he'll put his foot down for once.

And Obama has been doing a much better job at that? Compared to what he promised five years ago, he's been a coward for the most time.

I secretly wish for Obama (or the next POTUS) to lose it and tell congress to ****ing fly right and do something productive for once or face immediate re-election before the term's end.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's not what Hillary and McCain told me.

I think much of the DNC's next two years is going to revolve around getting a Congress in place that Obama can actually work with -- or who actually want to work. The t.p.-ers have got to go.

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Squawk, partisan line, squawk!

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I still love that Obama's use of a teleprompter is one of the biggest issues with the RiGhTiEs.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

LOL...that's funny. The entire Republican party is not capable of independent thought. Look at the votes on the floor of the House. It's like the Borg.

And Romney capable of independent thought? Please. He might form a thought on an issue, but the problem is he forms another, and another and another on said issue until you do not know where he stands. Why would you want someone like that in office?

If he is so great, how come he isn't winning his home state where he lives now or the state where he grew up? How come he isn't winning the state that he has won in before? Why don't they want him back?

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the problem is that you won't be able to take the GOP out of the equation. if he gets elected he will just be rubber-stamping whatever the GOP says, no matter how wacky they are.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's one of the things that bothers me about Romney, I don't believe the man will act independently from the House GOP members.

Of course, who knows what Romney will do once elected. At this point, I think he'd blow a goat on public access television if someone convinced him that would get him elected.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I think you need to be careful with how you interpret what he said. He said, “There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda.” While most media outlets seem to take that to mean that Romney has no intention of banning abortion, I view it differently. That sentence is vague about future intentions, and represents a perfectly neutral sentence that won't set anyone off.

I interpret it more literally. There is no legislation currently in Congress that would become a part of his agenda. He's not currently pushing for it. Yet, by now he's made a lot of statements against abortion. If he's elected and Congress suddenly produces a bill outlawing abortion or severely restricting it, what do you think he would do? My guess is that it would certainly become part of his agenda then.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There's a difference between saying you would back legislation and having something be part of your agenda.

Not really a flip flop. I can decide that taxes on sugary drinks is not part of my agenda and at the same time vote for a bill that taxes them without being a hypocrite. Its not the same as saying you won't vote for taxes on sugary drinks.

15. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

So far you and i disagree on about 99% of things when it comes to politics. But when you make a topic about Mitt Romney "flip flopping" You should be a little careful since Obama is just as bad if not worse. Just saying.....

Obama disagreed with the Supreme Court decision upholding a ban on partial birth abortion and had a 100% NARAL rating in 2006, 2007 and 2008, but while being interviewed by a Christian magazine Obama said that “mental distress” should not count as a “health of the mother” exception to a ban.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Glad you brought that up. What do the RiGhTiEs prefer, anyway? Inquiring minds want to know. Notes written on parchment using quills? Speaking of which, I hope everyone caught Boehner's teleprompter performance during the voice votes at the RNC. Now that was perfection itself.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not even close. You live in a totally distorted reality. In additional to his previous major flip flops on everything from gay rights to abortion, to gun rights, in just the last year Romney has had numerous positions on numerous issues, often reversing what he said SAME DAY. Obama does not have a bunch of those issues. He just doesn't. For the Romney campaign, the flip flops are SOP, and just another day at the office.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

So you’re telling me Mr. Perfect Obama has never flip flop? Please stop justifying for obama by pinning everything on Romney.

Obama on gay rights: Obama’s position on this issue is constantly changing. President Obama openly opposed gay marriage during the 2008 election. Obama also supported states deciding the issue at that point. However, later on Obama opposed California’s ban on gay marriage and has said his views on the issue are “evolving.”

19. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

MadeTheSwitch did not say Obama never flip-flopped.

I guarantee you for every flip-flop you claim Obama to have, I can list three Romney flip-flops. If you think Obama is on the same realm of flip-flopping as Romney, you're just in denial.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. I have never ever stated that Obama has never flip flopped on anything. Specifically this issue especially. However when one states he is "evolving" on something, he has already let you know there is a change coming. Unlike Romney who seems to have some sort of evolution every single day. Saying what the people want to hear, pandering away the entire day.

It's amusing that you think you know the details of this better than a gay man who lives in California, not too far from the church where the evolving statement was made. I know Obama's evolution on gay rights well. Do you know Romney's??

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think this was Obama's only problem in the first debate, but I think it was the biggest one. Obama came to debate certain Romney positions, and Romney disavowed them. How do you debate someone like that?

Getting a solid, debatable point out of Romney is like trying to screw fog.