Romney Opposes Marriage Equality in Speech to NAACP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 11, 2012.

1. leekohler, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, Obama needn't worry about losing the black vote over gay marriage.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/election/2012/07/11/romney-opposes-marriage-equality-speech-naacp

2. Queso macrumors G4

So the GOP haven't yet got the message that they've been rumbled on this score then. Sorry Mitt, playing minorities against each other isn't going to work now.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Such irony in this election. The person who introduced the U.S. to both healthcare and gay marriage wants to strike both down now. :rolleyes:

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought this was just crazy. How could he not know that the NAACP had endorsed marriage equality?

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

What a state can do is different than what the federal government is allowed to do. He can support something on the state level and not support it federally. :rolleyes:

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Mitt Romney continues to do an amazing job campaigning for Obama's re-election.

----------

Seriously? Do you actually believe that's what he means when he says,
    Head. Sand.

Carry on.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I'd prefer to have Mitt translate it instead of you.:rolleyes:

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so he should repeal DOMA then, right? federal government shouldn't be involved in marriages after all.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Of course you would. Because blind loyalty is blind.

Exactly.

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Trying to play minorities against gays isn't going to work anymore, the tide has shifted. As lee mentioned, the NAACP supports marriage equality, and many other black churches and organizations have followed suit.

If anything, I think Romney has helped open the eyes of many of the non-wealthy citizens of this country. The GOP isn't going to do anything to make sure you get affordable health care, access to education, and a chance to buy a home and better yourself. They'll protect the millionaires and billionaires until their last breath, and hoodwink middle and lower class Republicans with the "small" government garbage that only applies to taxing the rich.

Nice try, ******, we're not going to be divided and conquered so easily anymore.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Maybe he has a better plan in place. If you ask me the 14th Amendment already covers what DOMA covers.

To me the 14th Amendment says the states can't discriminate. So gay folks should protest their states for gay marriage rights based on the 14th Amendment.

----------

Blind loyalty? Isn't that what you have to the democratic party?:rolleyes:

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

On health care, Republican leaders have already said they want to have legislation in place that limits insurers ability to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions and also allow "kids" to stay on their parents plans until 26. The only thing they want to axe is the government forcing you to buy into a private market and using the IRS as the enforcer.

How are Republicans trying to limit the access to education?

And why exactly is it the federal government's job to help facilitate the purchase of a home? Some people should not own a home. There is no shame in being a renter. Not really sure why home ownership is symbolic of a better life. Plenty of people out there who are in a tough spot because they're in a house they couldn't fully afford the day they bought it.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Not even close. I am all for holding politicians accountable for broken promises and empty rhetoric - financially and in the voting booth.

We've been promised many things over the years by both Democrats and Republicans and once elected they forget about what got them there. I've never voted blindly Democratic - and I never will.

I'm just so sick of this bi-partisan tunnel vision. I get you're a Republican, but the fact that you refuse to see what a self-serving hypocrite Romney is tells me that you don't care - you see red, you agree with red, you vote red. This type of thinking is only serving to tear this country apart.

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I am not a huge fan of Romney, though I prefer him over Obama. Mainly because I am a huge fan of the 10th amendment. I haven't been a huge fan of many republicans out there lately.

You have attacked me many times in the past and accused me of hating gays. It's far from the truth. I have no problems with gay people what so ever. I have no problem with States allowing gay marriage, but he love twisting what I say and make it sound like I said something completely different.

Maybe Mitt does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he'll explain himself here soon enough.

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yeah, they have a really fantastic alternative waiting in the wings. They seem more concerned with stopping anything Obama tries to do than presenting their own solutions to an obvious social problem. Breaking your leg or getting a random cyst should not sentence you to financial ruin.

By proposing a budget that cuts Pell Grant funding, for one. You know who needs that program to attend college? Poor and middle class kids. Of course, the simple answer from the GOP is just to work three jobs.

Or by attempting to block a bill that would extend the interest rate of Stafford loans, instead of seeing them double.

And that's not all of it, by a longshot.

If you fail to see how advancing the lower and middle class is good for the country's economics, then I don't know what else to say. And no, there is no shame in being a renter, but the idea that "some people" shouldn't own a home is wrong. I guess "some people" should be happy making an unlivable minimum wage that Republicans would rather die than raise, and "some people" should be happy being taxed at a higher percentage than billionaires, and "some people" should be happy for whatever meager rights they're afforded, even if they're not equal to heterosexuals.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I agree that going to college is advantageous, but I don't see why it is the place of the federal government to subsidize it. That said, the cuts to Pell never happened and the interest rate reduction was renewed last week. Kind of hard to call them Ebenezer Scrooge in the aftermath.

I do think that advancing the lower and middle class is good for the country's economics, I just don't think the federal government should be the one trying to facilitate it. And you have hit on several different issues there, so I'll touch on them one at a time.

A.) I don't agree that I'm wrong in saying "some people" (not sure why that is in quotation marks, but I'll go with it) should not own a home. I personally don't own one. My wife and I have some debt that we need to pay off and until we do so we're not in a place to buy a home. We're not in that boat alone, but I still see people all the time who pile a house on top of a bunch of other debt and completely cripple themselves financially. I'm not a proponent of having the federal government make it easier for people to get mortgages. We tried that once and it didn't turn out so well.

B.) No one should be happy making an unlivable wage. In fact anyone in a job that pays that should be motivated as hell to find something better. Raising the minimum wage is a good idea on face value, but it's not like you can do it in a vacuum. Raising the minimum wage would do one of two things: 1.) raise the cost of goods or 2.) increase unemployment even higher than it already is. Not totally out of the realm to think both couldn't happen. Companies aren't going to cut profits or hire people at the same clip just because the feds raise the minimum wage. That cost will be passed along.

C.) I agree that lower income families should not be taxed at a rate higher than families that make significantly more. And the funny thing about that is....a lot of Republicans are in agreement with you too. A flat tax would solve all of these disparity issues and make things even across the board. Set the rate at 15% and let everyone pay in their fare share. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have never, ever accused you of hating gays. And for what it's worth, I don't believe you do. I do, however, challenge you on your blind loyalty to all things red. Just because someone is republican, or a conservative, doesn't mean you have agree with them - or defend them in the face of logic.

Your defense of Rush in an earlier thread and the defense of Mitt Romney here are two examples. As a Republican you should be challenging your candidates, and not settling for anything and everything they say just because of their political affiliation.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I saw it and it didn't get that much applause. I think the applause was probably from the most religious of those present. Relative to the 30 seconds of healthcare BOOOOOOs... I'm actually surprised he addressed the NAACP because, as others have said, many of his political positions are in opposition to theirs. Marriage equality is slowly being accepted in all communities, including the black community. Recent NAACP endorsement as well as a few major christian organizations has helped it, and it will continue to as more community leaders step up to endorse equal marriage rights.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Romney is a very disgusting human being. I'm not saying that out of anger, I truly believe that.

Anyone who wants to oppress the rights of others is not fit to lead a nation.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

OK I am sorry, you didn't say I "hate" gays. You said I have no respect for gay people and women.

Either way, a terrible accusation that offends me. :rolleyes:

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you able to post examples of Moyank24 accusing you of "hating gays"?

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Perspective eric, and context.

I was referring to your blind defense of those who feel that way - including Rush Limbaugh - who we know has no respect for women and is against equal rights. And you did it in this very thread as well. The over dramatics and martyrdom don't become you. :D

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Oh BS, you clearly stated that any conservative has no respect for gays, women and single mothers. Try to twist is any way you want, but it's what you said.

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Easy guys.. he might be headed for another emotional breakdown.. :D

*cough Canada thread*