Romney seeks to lower debate expectations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Sep 28, 2012.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/27/first-on-cnn-romney-memo-seeks-to-lower-debate-expectations/

Why in the world would this seem like a good idea?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just answer every question and redirect at the state of the economy and unemployment 4 years later. Win.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

This is not a new strategy. The lower you set the expectations for a candidates performance, the easier it is for the candidate to meet those expectations and "win" the debate.

If the Romney campaigns comes out and says that he is an excellent debater and will excel at the debates, then if he subsequently falters the media will jump all over it as a loss.

But if the Romney campaign lowers everyones expectations and leaks out memos like this one that predict that Romney doesn't stand a chance, then if Romney manages to hold is own (no gaffes, etc.) then the story becomes "Romney did better than expected.

Whether this ends up swaying voters is a different question, but it at least keeps the media from declaring him DOA and discouraging voters from coming out on election day.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Exactly what he said. Romney is playing the underdog.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh come on, everyone knows that Romney's going to be far more prepared than President Obama. First of all, the President is the President, and he has to actually run the country. He won't have nearly the free time Romney has to get ready. In addition, President Obama has been working for four years, not campaining or running in a primary where it seemed like there there debates every few days. Not to mention, Romney debated big thinkers like Gingrich, Santorum, Pawlenty, Cain, Perry and Paul and came out on top. He's prepared! Obama on the other hand probably won't have more than a few days to get ready. I'd be surprised if Romney didn't wipe the floor with Obama, at least at the first debate or two. :rolleyes:

If it were possible for both sides to concede in advance of the debates, it wouldn't surprise me. The "lowering expectations game" is in full swing by both sides.

A quote from a quote so no link...

6. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Exactly. Very nice post.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My expectations for him weren't that high to begin with...

8. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Buuuuut.... he has time to go on the View and Letterman? I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't appear, but he obviously has some time away from this "presidential" duties.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You did see the eye roll at the end. It's called lowering expectations, and the method is to use silly statements like the ones I chose.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

My apologies. I thought the eye roll was for the last sentence only.