Romney shoots himself in foot, again.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Aug 16, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Recently Romney (with Ryan) campaigned about ending renewable energy subsidies, specifically WIND, touting the Republican beltway (Washington) chorus against Obama's policies (which, ironically, some come from Bush).

Well, a lot of right leaning states and Republican constituents actually LOVE the wind subsidies, saying it is producing a vibrant economic sector and reducing cost of energy.

At the same time Romney is talking about extending various subsidies for the Oil sector (while at the same time no matter who you ask they will say we are too dependent on Oil and oil exporting countries).

IMHO, unless Romeny stops being a megaphone for Beltway ultra-conservative sound bites and makes his own path, he will lose the race.

Like this show or not, some good points made:
    http://www.edutopia.org/blog/one-to-one-program-rollout-jac-de-haan

2. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Damn. You were speaking metophorically. I was so hoping you were being literal.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What bothers me is that the GOP keeps promising that more cheap natural gas will somehow create jobs. Right now, we have incredibly cheap natural gas right now, yet, jobs aren't being unleashed.

We also have more oil production than we have ever had, and yet, oil prices are still set on a worldwide market, and in fact, we are exporting our oil. It's about profit, not jobs.

Wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, etc... those are all renewable. In other words, they don't run out, and the resulting energy is used here. Plus, the jobs related to those sources of energy are jobs created here. (That is why I think Romney and the GOP oppose them).

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

LMAO. Would be interesting.

I think its becuase NG uses mostly existing petroleum industry infrastructure, so very little is needed to adapt.

Everything else (wind, solar, tidal, geothermal,) needs to be built from almost scratch, naturally lots of work there.

Their might have been genuine concern about the benefit of renewable, but now I think Republicans are just sticking their head in ground over a successful program (which was actually started by Bush, ironically).

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

In New Zealand we are presently developing wind farms and this will continue to be more and more a source of power generation. We have utilised hydro electric power as well as geothermal generation. However we are still quite dependent on coal fired as well as oil fired power stations as a back up and and when our hydro lakes and dams are at a low level. Tidal generation is still experimental and solar is only used individually.

Fortunately there is no nuclear on our horizon.

KGB:cool:

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

New Zealand has a surplus of Natural Gas (It gets burned off in construction because its cheaper than tanking it and shipping it), so by GOP logic we must have plenty of jobs. :(

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Being against wind farms isn't going to win him many votes in the midwest.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It's going to cost him almost all of the votes he could have gained.

There is a huge anti-Obama voter block who is influencing the fence sitters, but when those fence sitters see Romeny wanting to shut down one of the only industries that is doing really good, guess what.

It is very ironic this huge surge toward NG and related, however for some reason the consumer industry is not taking advantage of it.

In Pakistan CNG vehicles are as common as gas vehicles, or about equal. Pakistan has extensive network of NG pipes for home use.
    Local gas stations simply tap into a line, install a compressor, and one has a station capable of filling CNG vehicles!

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The only group I see getting excited about oil subsides is the politically motivated "drill baby drill" crowd. I agree that most think we are too dependent on oil and welcome alternate energy sources. This just reconfirms that Romney is either not very smart or continues to peddle whatever message he thinks he'll get the most traction with.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I think its BOTH! :p

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

How many oil executives do you think he is getting money from??? While some of it may be pandering for votes, I think most of it is pandering to big donors.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

All of them? lol. :)