Ron Paul on the bailout plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by madfresh, Sep 23, 2008.

1. madfresh macrumors regular

From CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/paul.bailout/index.html

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think he's right. We need to let people fail if they make stupid decisions.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Letting the market self-adjust without the strong hand of government over-regulating, manipulating, and federalizing the financial system. What an amazing concept! :D

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Very interesting articles. The more I read about Ron Paul and Bob Barr the more I like. Sometimes it's a breath of fresh air compared to the bickering of our other two parties.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you really wanna get the creeps, go to Paul's site and read the whole thing. It's like a horror show for the most part. But on this, he's pretty much right. I like what Mac said.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Days when I agree with Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich at the same time make me keep my eyes on the sky for falling amphibians...

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well I certainly don't like all the things Ron Paul proposes. There are many things we would disagree on, especially since he seems to be more religious than I am.

On the flip side though if I was to add up everything I like and dislike about Obama, McCain and Barr I know who would come out on top for me.

But your right, I still need to do some more reading on him. I have a whole month to cram as much info on each party as I can.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm curious whether any of you have seen any type of simple list of where various people stand on the pending bill and/or the concept of this bailout. I realize it is early in the process, and many people want more information, but the thing is otherwise moving at the speed of light, so I'd imagine more and more people - like Ron Paul of this thread - are surely making his/her opinion known.

Although this will be a horrid example of what I'm looking for, this is what I have in mind:

AT&T CEO no
    Opec president yes
    Ben Stein yes
    Bill Gates no
    Steel Workers Union head yes
    French President no
    Ford CEO no
    National Teachers Ass'n head yes

Again, that is a terrible example, but I'd like to find a "down and dirty" list of where various individuals stand who have come out with a simple yes or no so far. If anyone has seen anything like that, perhaps you could provide a link. Thanks.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

Ron Paul = good.

Bob Barr = Ron Paul wannabe.

Bobb Barr flip flops on issues way too many times and even Ron Paul is against him because of it. Ron Paul truly is the best candidate in my opinion because 1, he doesn't flip flop on issues like both the mainstream democrats and republicans, he has predicted almost all the issues for a LONG time and had plans to fix them but unfortunately America is always going to be media run. Sad, but true.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This is true. Fortunately though Bob Barr has flipped on issues that work in my favor. Either way they are both a team and will probably get my vote this November.

12. TSE macrumors 68030

I agree, Bob Barr would get my vote over anyone even though he is not as straightforward as Paul, especially if he picked Ron Paul as his vice president candidate.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ron Paul all the way!

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Keep looking. Something tells you by the time you dig into him, he'll be much further down on your list. I used to think he might be OK too for a while, then I read his site and it scared the living s*** out of me.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL... sure seems like McCain's support among conservatives is pretty weak. Gonna be a lot of holding of noses come election time...

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless it's a 24hr clock...:D

Lethal

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The problem is that the more I read about any candidate the more dirt I will find. Eventually I have to come to a common ground and figure out which issues I think are most important and which issues that I think a candidate could actually change or would change if he was elected. Most candidates are all talk and never live up to what they claimed they would deliver.

Either way I don't live in a swing state so my vote will be primarily for my own conscience.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im sure with Millions and millions of $$$ from Lobbyist and the corporations McCain & Obama will come around and continue the screw job of the American Worker that Bushco, the Republicans and the Democrats have been working on for years.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

While I disagree with his "let the market run its course" plan, at least his plan would be a long term solution.

This bailout seems like without good regulations, the same thing could happen again.

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I mean if you want the entire U.S. economy to fail...

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a shaft job, the U.S. worker gets the Bill, Filthy CEO's make millions even when leaving destroyed companys and again not one person is accountable for anything but that seems to be Bush"s operating mode in everything he and his goosesteppers have been involved with. Iraq,Katrina,and now this so called Fiscal crisis. Is there anything Bush and his team have done that wasnt a big freaking mess.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of letting all these elitist going down with the ship. Let the market make its own correction isnt that the mantra of Bushco for 8 years? just a week ago they were saying everything was great.

22. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I think Ron Paul misses the point. It's the sheer unsustainability of our suburban sprawl economy that plays a larger role in the matter than mere government subsidization of home loans. Ron Paul's argument strikes me as a kind of right-wing "blame the poor" excuse that Libertarians or most of the Republican shills are currently espousing.

When we decided to pin the health of our economy on the construction and maintenance of low-density car-dependent tract housing and strip malls in suburbia, we set ourselves up for this.

And the fact that the polls are still so evenly split in this election campaign completely astonishes me.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Our economy is based on credit, has been since the 1700s.

Want to get a student loan? Let these institutions fail and forget about it.

Want to buy a house? Go ahead and let your "rich cronies" fail and forget about it.

Want to start paying 35% on your credit cards?

This doesn't go through and banks will stop lending money, people will not be able to borrow, and then things will really go to *****.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20. The Fed effed up and now we have a mess...

This isn't a bailout of the banks, this is a bailout of the economy.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's either the most naive or funniest statement I've heard all week. I can't decide which.