Ron Paul raises over $4M in one day!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cursor, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-paul6nov06,1,4487583.story

I'm shocked the mainstream media picked this piece up. All this press Ron Paul is getting is great for him. It's helping get his name out there and make more people aware of his message. I think this country could use a level-headed president that could take us in a different direction.

Our founders were revolutionary geniuses. It baffles me why we don't follow our constitution more closely. Don't all elected officials swear an oath to uphold our constitution? So why don't they?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

What's so wrong about the separation of Church and State? I find some of his other views far more disturbing.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Separation of church and state is a good thing- Paul doesn't seem to think it is and seems to be against it. And yes, his other views are quite frightening as well.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Maybe I got it wrong but I actually thought he was against forcing someone to pray or follow a certain religion.
    But yeah, the disturbing outweigh the valid points by far.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope you can see what is scary about that.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, it seems like some of his views regarding this issue contradict themselves.

8. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

I think he's great choice because he wants to change this country for the better, instead of pander to corrupt lobbies like the other candidates, ie Clinton, Guliani, Romney. There is very little differnece between Republicans and Democrats–they all flip-flop worse than a salmon in Alaska. And they also don't present much change from the present course, with the exception of Healthcare. We have very few choices that speak their minds and are consistent. Paul, Gravel, Kucinich are bout the only candidates that are consistent with their message. I don't agree with every issue presented by these candidates, but they seem to genuinly belive their message, and aren't just spewing niceties to get elected.

The fact is that this country was founded by people who believed in god. There are references to god in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I do, however believe that religion should not be taught in public school. But, I don't think that references to god (especially around holiday seasons) should be totally dropped either.

9. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Just curious, other than religion, what "other views" are so disturbing. Especially compared to other candidates, who I think are disturbing. For example, no other candidate will take "military action off the table" concerning Iran.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There are few things I don't find disturbing about Paul. But I find his views regarding the separation of church and state to be very frightening, as well as his views on abortion, equal marriage rights, don't ask don't tell, and affirmative action to name a few.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If I was forced to pick a Republican candidate, this is who I'd pick. Then I'd move to Connecticut or some other similarly liberal state.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He can raise all the money he wants, but he will always be a nut.

He is completely anti-environment, he has voted for some of the most anti-gay legislation in the House, he has voted against the separation of church and state, he is pro-life. Those are just some of my complaints about him.
    Drilling in ANWR, what a great idea. Right? Right?

Oh, he is against net neutrality, and he voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (now I know why the skinheads love him so much).

No ****ing thanks. Keep him contained in his little district in Texas (or better yet get him the hell out of office). The country doesn't need him, now or ever.

13. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Let's have a discussion without name calling, please, since that really goes nowhere and erodes general discussion.

Also, Ron Paul doesn't support racists, and isn't one himself. He talks about equal rights for all americans, which means that minorities should not have more rights than anyone else. We should all be on equal footing.

Just curious, who do you support?

14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

He's not against any of those ideas, he's against the federal government controlling everything and spending all the money for these ideas. He wants it to be up to the states. He wants states to decide whether abortion should be legal, whether gays can marry, etc. Not the federal government. That is why he votes no on so much.

15. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

Exactly, He wants to get rid of the department of education not because he wants kids to be stupid but he thinks that the federal government does a horrible job and it should be up to the states.

While I don't agree with him on some things I think he can help America suck less.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Minorities shouldn't have more rights than anyone else"? Huh? Please explain that extremely paranoid statement, because minorities are hardly on the same level with everyone else.

And given his stance on church/state issues, I wonder how long it would be before he OK'd teaching religion in schools as long as a state wanted it?

17. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Exactly. The federal government screws up almost everything it touches, with the exception of a few things. Downsizing/cutting a lot of the programs the federal government stinks at doing, would help reduce costs, which, in turn would help cut taxes, while cutting the deficit and still spend money to help rebuild N.O., etc.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why should someone be denied the right to an abortion or marriage because of the state they live in? Everyone in America deserves those rights.

19. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

For Ron Paul, everything boils down to the gold standard. I'm no sure if he's wrong or modern economics is. :D

20. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

One, I'm not paranoid. Two, yes, I believe everyone should be treated equally and have the SAME rights, no matter what their race. No group of people should have more rights than any other. Hell, their shouldn't even be "groups of people", we are all americans.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My point was that you seem to think that some minorities have more "rights" than you. That is hardly true. Please explain why you believe this to be true and what minorities you think have more "rights" than you.

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

********, ********, ********. He voted against the renewal of the Civil Rights Act. Pure and simple. He values unrestricted free-market capitalism above all else, especially how minorities are treated. And the nazi's love him for it (see stormfront.org , they love Ron Paul).

FYI, the Civil Rights Act didn't give minorities "more rights". It bought them to this equal footing you so desire. The Civil Rights Act was a landmark in ending segregation and Jim Crow. Seems like you'd be okay with "colored only" restrooms, restaurants, schools, drinking fountains, waiting rooms, etc..

I support Kucinich. He isn't my 100% ideal candidate, but he's the closet to what I would like.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't believe there has ever been a vote to renew the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Are you thinking of the National Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was renewed in 2006, and which Ron Paul did vote against?

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

we tried that whole state are more powerful then the federal government... Articles of Confederation?

How did that work out?

(I don't understand why people like him so much, all he does is say nothing about issues, and say "lets states decide")

Kuchinich...now there is a man of the people!

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He voted against the Voting Rights Act and opposes the Civil Rights Act. I think that should tell you everything you need to know.