Rosa Parks Has Passed Away

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Rosa Parks dead at age 92

Just heard that Rosa Parks died today at age 92.

Moderator's note: I merged two threads, which is why this looks out of place. I kept this post here due to it linking to a separate article.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
She was a really amazing woman. Although she deserves her rest in a much better place than this one, and we have been greatly blessed with her presence, we will be less for her absence.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I was just about to create the same thread. I wish I could have as much of a positive influence on society, but that's not going to happen. She was an amazing woman. :(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
While it is saddening that she passed, I think it will only maker her and her actions more immortal, and create a moment for many people to think about where the U.S. has come from, and where it is going today.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
She was a real pioneer in civil rights. We owe her a debt of gratitude. Thank you Rosa, may you now rest in peace. My prayers go out to her family and friends.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
While she was a great woman, she wasn't the first to refuse to give up a seat on the bus. She was just the first who got a whole lot of publicity about it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
How sad, she was a great woman who has helped changed the U.S. for the better. May she rest in peace.

My heart and prayers go out to her family.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I hope that she is remembered as a woman who lead an impeccable life, during which, she set an impeccable example of what can be achieved by those who dare to try.

More like her are needed, more than ever in these times.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I am so happy someone took the time to create a post about Rosa Parks. She was a great woman who helped open the eyes of America.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Xtremehkr said:
I hope that she is remembered as a woman who lead an impeccable life, during which, she set an impeccable example of what can be achieved by those who dare to try.

More like her are needed, more than ever in these times.
No kidding. I wonder if Bush will even acknowledge her death in some way.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
leekohler said:
I wonder if Bush will even acknowledge her death in some way.
yeah, the WH will have to issue some kind of statement. if they don't, well.... then we should all be horribly worried that no one's minding the store.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
zimv20 said:
yeah, the WH will have to issue some kind of statement. if they don't, well.... then we should all be horribly worried that no one's minding the store.

$40 of not real money says the white house says NOTHING this week.

ok, maybe I'm a little bitter. :eek:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
There are people in high places celebrating. You will not see it on TV however.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
leekohler said:
Pessimistically, not in the way that we would hope. Which would be to acknowledge and further her example. There is always hope though.

That is what I hope for at least.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
leekohler said:
Okay, I can't resist. Whatever he does, the fewer big words he tries to use, the more palatable it will be.

Regardless, I would like to leave everything aside and say that I really am appreciative of what Rosa Parks did. While it may not have directly benefited me. The continued establishment of Civil Rights is a boon for the vast majority of people. Rosa was the catalyst, and deserves recognition for what she did, but people from many sides worked with her to ensure that her effort was rewarded. It is another reason to be appreciative of both her and those who worked with her to effect positive change. Change which ultimately all can benefit from, should we choose to further her example.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Rosa Parks wasn't the first person to take a stand against institutionalized racism, and she was by no means the last, but she did become one of the iconic figures in the struggle. Her life should be taken as an example to everyone who wonders about what kind of difference one person can make. That is how I think she should be remembered.