Rose Gold Retina MacBook — It doesn't look pink

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Admiral, May 25, 2016.

1. Admiral, May 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Mine has arrived today and having unwrapped the device, I can report that "rose gold" on the MacBook is more of a lustrous coppertone than pink (alas). It definitely looks professional and classy.

Performance-wise, it does feel faster all around. Video plays back considerably more smoothly, windows resize faster, and under heavy load it does respond better. I think the much faster SSD really makes a difference.

2. Bananas Ananas macrumors member

Bananas Ananas

3. yngrshr macrumors regular

Well, rose gold is generally not pink. The actual material, that is.

The Apple products are much more pink than, say, a real rose gold watch.

4. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Disagree. It is totally pink :p

Wikipedia:

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

5. yngrshr macrumors regular

Rose gold is really not pink. I actually own watches with rose gold on them (not PVD-plated, either). Your typical rose gold may have a pink-ish hue to it, but it is certainly not pink.

Here's a rose gold Rolex Sky Dweller (not mine).

[​IMG]

As you can see, the pink, while there, is very subdued. It's a pink-ish hued gold.

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I had your same mindset with the 6s, my friend. Until I visited the Apple Store to see it in person; maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I could not convince myself to see the copper.

To each his/her own though. I couldn't pull it off, so I'm still on my 2015 gold rMB, and will probably get the same color the next time.

7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I think both gold options look different in different lighting. My gold model sometimes looks silver in low artificial light, and more gold in brighter natural light. I've seen the same with the rose gold. To me, it looks copper-ish in enough lighting to maintain a classy, and still masculine look and feel. Enjoy.

8. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

--- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    I love the rose gold on the MacBook but it looks nothing like the 'proper' rose gold on say a Tiffany ring or my cufflinks and tie bridge - which is definitely not pink, more warm, copper - really classy. I think Apple need to work a little harder on the colour as to me, it's definitely not rose gold and rather pinky!

9. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

No, it looks pink. Nothing close to "Rose Gold".

Funny thing is the 2015 model in gold actually looked a bit Rose Gold (true Rose Gold) in certain lighting. I wonder if they have altered the 2016 gold color in order to make it look less "Rose Gold"?

Does anybody know if the 2015 gold and 2016 gold are exactly the same shade? Thanks! :)

10. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Saw them both side by side in the Apple Store when they were putting out the 2016 models. They are the same.

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I see the copper tones in that watch and on my iPhone 6s depending on the light. I love copper tones myself. I'd be curious to see the Rose Gold Macbook. I just didn't have the heart to look at one while at the Apple store recently (actually more like my tuition fees yelling at me saying don't you dare!)

12. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Seconding this. ^

Would want to see those pics.

13. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Pictures and video are the worst way to judge the color IMO. I'm not a fan of the fluorescent lighting in Apple stores either. It makes it very hard to judge what it looks like in more natural lighting.

14. Biggie Robs macrumors member

Right, because fluorescent lighting is so rare these days.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s all good, Pink is the new Black :)

Q-6

16. Norachu macrumors newbie

Norachu

I was offered rose gold at the sprint store when I got my 6S (I was upgrading from a pink 5C) but I declined and went with space gray. It doesn't matter though because I have a purple Speck case.

17. Serban Suspended

Basics for colours. A red steel will not look exactly like a red plastic that doesnt mean is not red
    So visual effect come from two things the paint but also the material
    Rose gold watch will always look different from rose gold macbook etc because one is rose solid gold material and the other is rose gold brushed aluminum and so on..its chemistry

18. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

LOL

I think the OP is in denial :)

Besides did we not have the same conversation back a year with the gold

19. februarian macrumors 6502

februarian

How bout some pics to support that sentiment?

20. BarmyGnome macrumors 6502

BarmyGnome

Looks pink to me and am I the only one who thinks the dark keys clash horribly with the pink colour?

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

True, equally as the coloration is just a surface treatment, a little less pink I feel would appeal to a larger audience. That said Apple is targeting some demographic, somewhere :)

Personally I could live with a rMB in Rose Gold (Pink), equally if your judging people by the colour of their notebook, you have bigger issues o_O

Q-6

22. Dunbar macrumors 6502

It's pretty rare in my apartment where I use my computer most of the time.

23. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Maybe :)

I like the contrast on the gold and to a lesser degree on the pink

I think the white on the pink IPhone is dreadful and makes it look like a kids toy or a Barbie accessory