Rosetta Project Plasma Physicist Crucified by Forces of Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronvan, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is unbelievable. Some nerd wears a funny shirt and suddenly women all over the world are oppressed and prevented from careers in science. Solution? A humiliating session in self-criticism, just like in the old days Chairman Mao .

The guy has a Ph.D in physics, is into Death Metal, and is tattooed like a biker. Frankly, I'd like to drink a tall one with him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-row-shirt-featuring-scantily-clad-women.html

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like he doesn't know how to dress himself and has a childish view of women.

And for that he "came under fire" [encountered criticism] online.

Poor baby.

Caption says he almost cried.

:(

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

And has no class.

Brilliant people are often demented ****s. Look at Tesla and his eugenics craziness.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

He's an über-nerd; he doesn't know anything about women. :D

Still, it's sad to see so many people feeding their innate self-righteousness by piling on this poor guy on the biggest day of his life. He career is shot.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

His career as a spokesperson perhaps.

I think he'll still find his knowledge of physics has some value.

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Perhaps, but this experience is ruined for him and his family. Management could have taken him aside and made an on-the-spot correction. There was no reason for a public trial and execution. However, it sounds like he was considered a bit of an outlier given his penchant for body art, too.

The nail that sticks out always gets hammered down.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Remember what I said in another post about social media tending towards mob rule? This is one of those moments.

Okay, so some people find the shirt rather tasteless. Just because it offends you personally doesn't mean you have to shame the guy in front of the entire world to get your point across. That's bullying, plan and simple.

It's like that big hooplah over that woman who got offended at that programmers convention, and ended up getting a bunch of people fired because they were joking about dongles, and slots, and whatnot. Yeah, nerd fields tend to be male dominated, and there more than likely is some cruel sexism going on behind the scenes most of us aren't aware of. But that wasn't blatantly sexist so much as juvenile horsecrap, and all those guys deserved was a slap to the back of the head or a withering stare. It didn't have to be stoked into a huge social media storm.

Same with this. Fight the fights that deserve to be fought. And more importantly, have the wisdom to know what deserves a fight, and what doesn't.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

True. I don't know his position in the pecking order, but someone should have pulled him aside and told him he can't represent the mission wearing that shirt.

It's amazing how such smart people can be so stupid.

There's no reason for people to react to things on the internet?

I don't know if you've noticed lately, but that's exactly what happens every day.

And it isn't going to end.

This nail deserved it.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your comment is almost as ridiculous as his shirt. It's unlikely that the shirt is to make a statement about women. It's just a cheesy shirt. Let the guy be himself when this isn't something that has any tangible effect on women or their ability to be taken seriously in the scientific community.

Okay that may have been a good idea.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nothing denigrates women more than other women. Wonder how those who complained feel about Kim Crapdashian & her recent pic ?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I disagree. If he wants to "be himself" then he can feel free to do so after work. When you are representing the mission, then it should be done in a reasonably professional manner.

It's really pretty simple.

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

This is not about the Internet. This is about one individual being attacked by his peers and his superiors--the gutless ESA management--throwing him to the wolves.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

His superiors are exactly the people who should be condemning his actions, especially if those actions were unprofessional and embarrassed the organization when it should have been enjoying a triumphant achievement.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is like a lot of things today on the social media, to many people with FAR to much time on their hands.:p

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

See #7. A public humiliation is not good leadership. It's toxic leadership. Perhaps my military career gave me a different perspective on leadership and taking care of people.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I re-read your linked article and couldn't find any mention of public humiliation by leadership or signs of toxic leadership.

If you know of a source to verify such claims, could you share them with me?

18. aaronvan, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Not a public humiliation? I don't know what to say to that.

I believe his apology was directed by ESA management. I can't prove it but it's a pretty good assumption. Whether or not it was directed, they still stood by while he twisted in the wind. Good leadership is disciplining your people in private, praising them in public, and stepping-up when they are in trouble. I saw none of that from ESA management. That's toxic leadership.

19. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

If the shirt was covered in naked men what would the response had been, I wonder?

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It isn't what I would wear in front of the international press, but, that's just me.

If he is in the habit of wearing such clothing to work, I would have expected management to put a stop to it. I forget the exact term, but, something like "creating a hostile working environment".

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Wow, what a load of ****.

The mob-mentality social justice warriors who try to ruin people's lives by railing on them on Twitter because they are "offended" really should just find the nearest bridge and jump. They set their causes back even farther by pulling this ****.

It's funny too because they piss and moan that a cartoon shirt is why there are so few women in STEM. More like there are so few women in STEM because they care more about the cartoon shirt some guy is wearing than humans landing a space probe on a damn comet.

Now in my opinion, when you're about to land a space probe in this huge mission, and you're probably going to be on TV, I'd probably dress up a bit in a nice shirt and tie and save that shirt for the afterparty. But this twitter-justice mob has gone out of control. It's just too bad so many people lack balls now and give in and apologize to appease these social media mob whiners.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I saw him wearing that shirt when he was being interview early in the morning. I thought, well that is a weird choice of shirt to wear. Then I thought well, the dude is a nerd and there was nothing wrong with it. I guess it would be like wearing a t-shirt to a wedding. Nothing wrong with the shirt per-say just not the proper occasion.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

I didn't read this article. Just saw a guy with a colorfull shirt smiling and later with a hoody crying.
    What's going on here?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Poor taste.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

He does look like a bum. But that's not a reason to cry. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.