Round 2 - Immigration Reform

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
This will likely be as ugly as Health Insurance reform.

Link

President Barack Obama, facing criticism from advocates of immigration reform, pledged Thursday "to do everything in my power" to get immigration legislation moving in Congress this year.

Obama said work on an immigration bill should move forward based on an outline released Thursday by Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.

"A critical next step will be to translate their framework into a legislative proposal, and for Congress to act at the earliest possible opportunity," Obama said.

The outline calls for illegal immigrants to admit they broke the law, pay a fine and back taxes, and perform community service if they want to get on a pathway to legal status. They would also be required to pass background checks and be proficient in English.

"I congratulate Sens. Schumer and Graham for their leadership, and pledge to do everything in my power to forge a bipartisan consensus this year on this important issue so we can continue to move forward on comprehensive immigration reform," Obama said.

Other parts of the Schumer-Graham outline include:

—Giving legal permanent residence to people who graduate with doctoral or master's degrees from U.S. universities.

—Adopting zero tolerance for illegal immigrants who commit crimes and expanding enforcement of immigration laws.

—Creating a flexible legal immigration system that brings in more low-skilled workers when jobs are available and fewer in a recession.

—Requiring all U.S. workers — citizens and legal immigrants — to get fraud-proof Social Security cards with a biometric identifier.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm glad to see he's not backing down in actually bringing these major issues to spotlight (healthcare, financial reform, immigration, education). That said, these will continue to be just like the healthcare bill.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Implement the new SS biometric measures, and then pass a law penalizing employers who knowingly hire illegals with mandatory jail time no probation. Our typical immigration policies aren't a problem at all, illegals is what the issue is about.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Implement the new SS biometric measures, and then pass a law penalizing employers who knowingly hire illegals with jail time.
Ok, so you've destroyed small business, what about the massive corporations that supply our food (most of USA meat anyway) through almost exclusive use of immigrant labor?

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, so you've destroyed small business, what about the massive corporations that supply our food (most of USA meat anyway) through almost exclusive use of immigrant labor?
if its illegal immigrant labor then they are breaking the law anyways aren't they? I think we may be forgetting we have 10% unemployment right now, I am fairly sure someone would rather butcher cows than watch their family go without dinner.

In the UK you are required to show that you can't find qualified candidates in the Uk before you can use immigrant labor.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
if its illegal immigrant labor then they are breaking the law anyways aren't they? I think we may be forgetting we have 10% unemployment right now, I am fairly sure someone would rather butcher cows than watch their family go without dinner.

In the UK you are required to show that you can't find qualified candidates in the Uk before you can use immigrant labor.
I'm just saying that your policy would really only apply to small business, as massive corporations (especially in the meat industry) have a deal where they shed a few dozen illegal immigrants a year for PR, while their plants are never raided.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm just saying that your policy would really only apply to small business, as massive corporations (especially in the meat industry) have a deal where they shed a few dozen illegal immigrants a year for PR, while their plants are never raided.
All deals are off, if one illegal is found to be willingly hired after new SS measures have been implemented the employer serves mandatory jail time. For a big corporation the CEO can go to jail and use his/her newly found time to figure out how to hire legal work and stay competitive.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
All deals are off, if one illegal is found to be willingly hired after new SS measures have been implemented the employer serves mandatory jail time. For a big corporation the CEO can go to jail and use his/her newly found time to figure out how to hire legal work and stay competitive.
Yea, good luck getting that kind of bill passed in ANY country.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yea, good luck getting that kind of bill passed in ANY country.
I think you underestimate the dislike of illegal immigrant labor in the US. If dems propose any type of amnesty for illegals all the republicans have to do is rally against it and they will gain seats assuredly.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Anything that does not include a trip back for the ILLEGAL to their home county to await the decision should fail.

I'm sure that Barry Soetoro needs this to pass before the November election...if they have a hope of keeping the House. Seems crazy, but I think its even money for the Republicans to take over the Senate as well.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think you underestimate the dislike of illegal immigrant labor in the US. If dems propose any type of amnesty for illegals all the republicans have to do is rally against it and they will gain seats assuredly.
As long as big business can buy our politicians (which will actually accelerate, thanks supreme court :rolleyes:) there will never be a full out assault on immigrants like the one you imagine.

I think you also overestimate the dislike for the people themselves. Many hate the situation, but don't have any actual ill will towards illegal immigrants just trying to make a better living for their families.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Even though the CEO of a big corporation might have absolutely no freakin' idea that an illegal immigrant was hired way the hell down on the chain of command?

Barry Soetoro
:rolleyes:

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
—Creating a flexible legal immigration system that brings in more low-skilled workers when jobs are available and fewer in a recession.

—Requiring all U.S. workers — citizens and legal immigrants — to get fraud-proof Social Security cards with a biometric identifier.
Obama has lost his mind (assuming he ever had one, big assumption).

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
if its illegal immigrant labor then they are breaking the law anyways aren't they? I think we may be forgetting we have 10% unemployment right now, I am fairly sure someone would rather butcher cows than watch their family go without dinner
nothing is stopping the unemployed from getting in line with the immigrants. Im 99% sure an employer would choose a legal over an illegal any day at those wages.

Why dont we see the unemployed asking for those jobs?

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
nothing is stopping the unemployed from getting in line with the immigrants. Im 99% sure an employer would choose a legal over an illegal any day at those wages.

Why dont we see the unemployed asking for those jobs?
Because our government has decided its okay to put all unemployed people on a 2 year paid vacation via unemployment benefits?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Obama has lost his mind (assuming he ever had one, big assumption).
Barry Soetoro is losing it or smoking it (as he has before); but here is is doing what he has to keep power. Its simple, the American public sees Barry Soetoro for the man he is, and he knows the democrats will lose big in eight months. California is in play, and the Majority Leader will likely get the boot!

The only way to get power back it for Barry Soetoro to make these illegals into voting citizens, thereby cementing his power base.

This is a TAKE OVER by Barry Soetoro everyone. Pure and simple.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Its cheaper to send them back than it is to give the FREE medical care, FREE food, and FREE housing.

Not really free - the bill will be sent to our children and grandchildren. :mad::mad::mad:
Link?

You go ahead and figure out how to move tens of millions of people all over the world at once on the cheap, I'd really love to see that.

It'd be nice if you guys would consider reality to go with your ideologies.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Because our government has decided its okay to put all unemployed people on a 2 year paid vacation via unemployment benefits?
Correction: Because our government has decided its okay to <put us and our children into debt slavery to give> all unemployed people on a 2 year paid vacation via unemployment benefits?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Go ahead and try to live on unemployment for 2 years with the benefits you get, I ****ing dare you. :mad:

My uncle lost his low paying job just under a year ago and he's already starting to wonder if they'll be able to keep the house. Unemployment absolutely shreds personal savings.

Again, take a dose of reality when talking out of your orifices. :mad:

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Correction: Because our government has decided its okay to <put us and our children into debt slavery to give> all unemployed people on a 2 year paid vacation via unemployment benefits?

You can thank Reagen for starting the debt disaster.

Oh and on that note, how many people did he give Amnesty to?