Routers not just for the faint of heart....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AFPoster, Jan 17, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Don't ask about the title I was just trying to be clever, which probably I am not.
    To my question: I have an Airport, but my friend (a loser) does not because he thinks Windows is way better. I know I know, we should feed him to the fish and claim that he is a witch, but Mac users are better than these people and we can show them by our helpfulness which can sometimes (hopefully all the time) sway these people in our direction.

The problem: He has a Linksys router and for some reason he gets internet from the Modem only and when he hooks up his Linksys router he loses internet, and can only access the Routing Preferences. He has 3 computers total but none will work. The router worked 2 days ago and then he changed some settings and he said the network just stopped working.

I went to his house and reset his router and modem, still nothing worked. I know that you have to restart computers on the network, restart the modem and router several times, but outside of that what can I do to try and fix this problem instead of spending money at the moment? Is it possible the router is just fried? Or is it a simple fix that I am not thinking of.

Thanks for the help team,

AFPoster

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: He doesn't happen to remember what those settings were, does he? Can he check to see if the DHCP lease needs to be renewed, or if the router even registers as connected?

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

What does routers have to do with OS? Absolutely nothing.

When you said reset, did you mean you reset to factory default or just resetting the power?

Did he update the firmware or just change some setting? It is possible the mac address of the router has changed and therefore the ISP will not allow the router to access the internet. The best way to know if you go to the router's status page and look at the IP that was given, if it is 192.x.x.x range, that's the problem, the router isn't permitted to access the internet as part of the security policy at many ISPs. Easiest solution is to copy the computer's mac address (the one that's connected to the modem) and put it in the router's mac address field.

If that doesn't solve the problem, make sure you reset the router to default factory settings. Go to the status and make sure the modem's IP is listed, if it is, that it should be working right out of the box.

You'll need to let us know which ISP and which router before we can help you further.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

When you change computers [and a router is a computer] connected to a broadband modem, you often must reset the modem. Power-off the modem for 30 seconds. Power it back on and you are set.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

Dude, did you skip the rest of the thread and not read my post in full?

First, there's a huge difference between resetting the router to default factory settings and turning it on and off (which is recycling the power, not resetting it but most people just say reset instead).

Secondly, he already stated that he reset both his modem and router. He did not say clearly if he was recycling the router or reset it to default factory. That's why he created this thread because it did not work.

6. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Use the software disk that came with it and redo the setup unless your friend really broke it.

besides operating systems are about choice and really i prefer this small group of mac users then a giant raging one.

7. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    This is why I don't let people who haven't had any experience with whatever they want to play with touch my stuff.

They tend to F **** up.

This does not apply to girls, if you get my drift.
    I'm all for that. :rolleyes:

8. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

He is using a Linksys SpeedBooster router and his computer is a brand new Alienware. Modem is from Verizon DSL. He doesn't know his DHCP settings and I couldn't figure it out when I was at his house. Also when I say reset I mean reset to factory settings on the router. I powered down the modem for over a minute same with the router and I would bring them both up individually, still nothing worked. I also would type in CMD ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew none of which worked. On a Windows computer how do you find the Mac address and alter it? His settings can be accessed by 192.168.1.1 if this helps you with his style of router. That IP is also what comes up as his default gateway I believe it was, but don't hold me to it.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no reason to reset the router to factory default settings if the settings were not changed. To do this, the user must log into the router's administration web pages and muck around them. Nothing in the OP indicated that anyone had changed anything. Therefore, there was no reason to change them back.

As a general principle, you should try the simplest remedy first. In this case, the simplest remedy is to reset the modem. It can't do any harm and it may solve the OP's problem.

10. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

At this point you better make sure that the router is reseted to factory settings. To do that use a clip on the small pin hole in the back for 15 seconds then turn off both modem and router wait a minute then turn them back on starting with the modem. Speedbooster is not a model for the router. After having everything on connect your pc with an Ethernet cable to one of the ports in the router and open explored and type 192.168.1.1 that will open a login window use user blank and password admin
    Now go to basic settings and set the connection type to dsl or ppoe and usually DSL connections have User name and password provided by the ISP there boxes for this information below connection type.
    Leave dhcp on and set up wireless network and security. Don't use a passphrase instead asign a 10 digit password in line 1. Use the phone number with area code is 10 digits and easy to remember. You should be done. Also don't mess with the cd that came with the router is crap.