Rubber gasket came out of my Digital Crown today.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AmazingGraceTx, Nov 15, 2015.

1. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

The Digital Crown worked fine this morning when I put it on. Then a couple of hours later, I went to change the color on my face and the crown wouldn't turn. I got it to turn a little and next thing I know, there's a rubber ring hanging out of it. I made an apple genius appointment. Soonest I can get there is Friday. The crown is as smooth as butter now. Is there any danger in using the watch until my appointment? Is this something that they'll fix? My son didn't get apple care.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Commom sense says keep it dry. They will replace it.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

they would probably cover it as that seems like a manufacture defect, and you are within 1 year. The problem with in store (your only option since you do not have AC+) is they will send it off for repair.

4. AmazingGraceTx thread starter macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

Yeah, I realize they're going to send it out. The good thing is, I don't have work that whole following week, so I won't miss it too much. Hopefully it won't take too long.

5. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

Just curious - Sport or Stainless?

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Are you supposed to get something different with AC+? Because I have it, and when I had a defect with my watch, they still told me to come in so they could ship it off, and I had to wait for a week before receiving a replacement watch.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yes. Applecare+ has express replacement if you call the applecare+ number. They will overnight you a new watch and let you send the old one back.

8. AmazingGraceTx thread starter macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

Sport

9. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

is there any truth that innards of the crown are different between sport and stainless?

10. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Yes. The mounting brackets for each are different with the one for the Steel version being out of a stronger material.

11. AmazingGraceTx thread starter macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

Update…Appointment went as well as expected. Rubber ring coming out was definitely a bad thing. They shipped it off tonight for either a repair or replacement. I'm so glad I'm off work this week coming up. Hopefully, I'll get my baby back soon. I miss it.

12. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

Why couldn't they just give you a replacement right there??

13. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

It's ridiculous that they can't replace that on the spot

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Just a theory but I'm guessing it's to create a barrier that only those really needing something would go through. Those with issues that could be ignored by most people are less likely to game the system if effort is required.

15. AmazingGraceTx thread starter macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

Apple man kept telling me I could just ignore it for now. I was like, no. This isn't what my watch is supposed to be doing. I want it the way it was paid for. I feel like they could have just replaced it, but apparently that's not a thing.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think anyone apart from people who read websites like MR are going to know whether it will be replaced on the spot or not, so I doubt it's to stop people wanting excessive replacements.

Just seems like poor customer service to me.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple have treated the watch differently to their other products.

No in-store repairs are attempted, replacements are not held in store and the watch must be sent back before a decision is made. The only exceptions seem to be if it is still in the initial 14 day return period when it will be exchanged for a new watch or the money offered back or if you have got AppleCare+ when they will ship a replacement before you return the broken watch.

18. AmazingGraceTx thread starter macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

I miss my watch. I'm wearing my pebble, trying to use the touch screen and there is no touch screen. Total pettiness on my part, but I miss my watch!

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

And this is why Apple doesn't rate their watches for water resistance beyond IPX7.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, this is simply a case of manufacturing defect. A defective watch will fail regardless of the water resistance rating.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

This isn't the first gasket that's reportedly popped out, and what about all the ones that aren't properly set, but don't pop out? What it suggests to me is a lack of focus on the manufacturing side. There's also crowns and backs coming off where the glue is failing. Apple is having enough trouble getting the watches out the door at volume to worry about random water tests the line, to ensure every watch is assembled to protect against whatever IPX8 rating they might want to certify for. And that's why I'm suggesting they backed off the rating and played it safe for this first gen launch. Obviously if the gasket popped out and the watch were rated for 300m, this would still be a manufacturing defect. The question I'm posing is how sure is Apple that this gasket popping out is a very rare occurrence, of no real concern, and not part of a larger manufacturing problem that they didn't have time to address?

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

When you sell a product in the millions, there's liable to be many thousands of units with some sort of manufacturing defects and they'll of course be overrepresented on this forum. If it were a widespread issue, we can usually tell from the many more posts reporting it like the crescent moon camera issue on the iPhone 6/6+, the iPhone 5 units arriving from factory full of nicks and scratches, and Antennagate. The number of posts reporting defective rubber gaskets and the back of the Watch case falling off hasn't quite reached that level.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Let me put it to you this way ...

I had a friend who bought one of the first Mercedes SUVs off the assembly line. He had a few warranty issues for which he took his truck in, and every time, they did about 2 or 3 other things he had reported no problems with. One time, they replaced the entire transmission under warranty, which he was having no trouble with, and which was totally unexpected. If he hadn't closely reviewed his work order, he would have never known, because they didn't tell him. This is not uncommon behavior for an auto maker. They issue internal recalls, which are quietly handled under the radar, before they become an issue, to avoid unfavorable public impressions during a product launch. And I make specific mention that it was a Mercedes due to the reputation of quality, reliability, and integrity, it shares along with Apple. That truck in particular is an apt comparison as it was a brand new first year, unique model, assembled at a brand new dedicated plant, using local labor. And I know Apple does this as well, addressing internal recalls when a unit is sent in for repair. The original Macintosh had one such recall which added a resistor array to the logic board, but only if a customer brought it in for other service, there were no customer notices otherwise.

My point is, where there's smoke there's fire. Who knows what other sorts of problems Apple may be aware of with the watch that may or may not appear over time? And who knows if Apple intended to original give it an IPX8 300m rating or not, but these manufacturing defects were too common to risk it? To me, this particular problem, isolated though it may be now, suggests yet another reason Apple may have given the watch a much more conservative IPX7 rating despite the fact in many casual anecdotal tests, the watch seemingly performs quite well. Yes only a few are coming out, and that may be all that ever do pop out. But how many would pop out, or otherwise fail if subjected to greater pressure from wearing in the water?

As for reported defects, while we don't know how many watches have been sold to date, we can be sure it took about 3 months before any significant volume were in circulation, and even now, it's unlikely the number of watches in circulation is any more than a small percentage of new iPhones sold. So I would argue there hasn't really been enough watches sold for any problem "gates" to materialize. Let's see where we are after the holidays (but even then, I would still assert, most of the likely potential problems have been mitigated by limiting its abilities).

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But we already know what a widespread issue looks like when it comes to the AW, namely the numerous posts from members expressing shock that Apple isn't stocking white box replacements for the Watch (unlike other iDevices to date) and that they have to send their Watches off for repair. It's in fact consistent with the level of reports we get regarding widespread issues with other iDevices, and the number of posts reporting the rubber gasket coming out of the digital crown pales in comparison to that.

25. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Again, the rubber gasket coming out is the worst case scenario. Let's say in all failures of the gasket, only 2% come out. But that doesn't mean it isn't otherwise compromised, or prone to it. If the gasket doesn't come out, and the customer doesn't get the watch wet, then the consumer may never know they have defective gasket.