Rumors abound, ultimately I believe the 16” will be the MacBook Pro Plus and here’s why

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
For years now I feel like Apple was updating their product line by adding more products. When I first started following Apple it was just 1 iPhone model. After that they introduced black and white.

Then they started making different sizes, and the 5C which introduced new colors. We ultimately had SE models, 8, 8+, X and now even a XS Plus. Even with the iPhone 7, they had multiple options including jet black which was more exclusive to own.

And then came the Pro lineup of devices. The Mac Pro came from nowhere and I remember thinking hey this is kinda cool. So powerful, space grey everything, I’d love to get it but how much? $2000? $3000? Nope. 5000 bucks.

Then came the iPad Pro. Bezeless design, incredible power, great for using with a keyboard, pencil, and some say even a mouse through accessibility although I’ve heard it’s not too great. And now the new Mac Pro. Beautiful machine with a lot of power. Truly something special despite all the Cheese grater jokes lol. Again, how much? $3000? $4000? Wrong again.

Now, let’s take it back in time. We had the beautiful LG monitors albeit the ugly chin on top as a expensive but great monitor but of course we needed a “Pro” monitor so here came the $5000 pro monitor ($999 stand not included).

And today, the rumor mill was hot with people saying an iPhone Pro is coming. I would not be surprised. Which leads me to think, this mythical 16” machine we’re all pondering about seems to be a Pro Plus kind of device.

Combine that with the fact Apple seems love having many options of the same device available, it makes sense to think that Apple is adding a new product to its notebook computers. Something that’s truly a beast of a machine.

A thick, powerful, heat dissipating, 64GB RAM computing Goliath of a 16” machine starting at what? $3000? $4000? We’ve seen this before. My guess is $5,000 folks. That’s how I see it.

It’s all rumor right now. But this is what my mind is speaking to me. I don’t think the 15” will be replaced by this. And to those who say 15” and 16” are too close in size, that may be true but I believe what will differentiate it and keep both models around will be the design and power of this Pro Plus model.

The 15” will be for the consumer professional. The guy who makes YouTube videos and edits photos. The Pro Plus will be for the guy making professional movies. And editing photos for Vogue Magazine. That’s my guess.

Last edited:

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
For years now I feel like Apple was updating their product line by adding more products. When I first started following Apple it was just 1 iPhone model. After that they introduced black and white. Then they started making different sizes, and the 5C which introduced new colors. We ultimately had SE models, 8, 8+, X and now even a XS Plus. Even with the iPhone 7, they had multiple options including jet black which was more exclusive to own. And then came the Pro lineup of devices. The Mac Pro came from nowhere and I remember thinking hey this is kinda cool. So powerful, space grey everything, I’d love to get it but how much? $2000? $3000? Nope. 5000 bucks. Then came the iPad Pro. Bezeless design, incredible power, great for using with a keyboard, pencil, and some say even a mouse through accessibility although I’ve heard it’s not too great. And now the new Mac Pro. Beautiful machine with a lot of power. Truly something special despite all the Cheese grater jokes lol. Again, how much? $3000? $4000? Wrong again. Now, let’s take it back in time. We had the beautiful LG monitors albeit the ugly chin on top as a expensive but great monitor but of course we needed a “Pro” monitor so here came the $5000 pro monitor ($999 stand not included). And today, the rumor mill was hot with people saying an iPhone Pro is coming. I would not be surprised. Which leads me to think, this mythical 16” machine we’re all pondering about seems to be a Pro Plus kind of device. Combine that with the fact Apple seems love having many options of the same device available, it makes sense to think that Apple is adding a new product to its notebook computers. Something that’s truly a beast of a machine. A thick, powerful, heat dissipating, 64GB RAM computing Goliath of a 16” machine starting at what? $3000? $4000? We’ve seen this before. My guess is $5,000 folks. That’s how I see it. It’s all rumor right now. But this is what my mind is speaking to me. I don’t think the 15” will be replaced by this. And to those who say 15” and 16” are too close in size, that may be true but I believe what will differentiate it and keep both models around will be the design and power of this Pro Plus model. The 15” will be for the consumer professional. The guy who makes YouTube videos and edits photos. The Pro Plus will be for the guy making professional movies. And editing photos for Vogue Magazine. That’s my guess.
Take less. Use paragraphs.
The 16“ is .6 over the 15.4. hence this will start a transition from the 15.4 to the 16 display in the same chasis doing the same they did with the iPad Pros. But yes it will be expensive. The first round will be 4K I presume.
The guy making movies will use a real computer, because you need screensize for this kind of work. They will go for the Mac Pro and it’s new shiny Display.

ericwn

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2016
A top of the line fantasy price model computer for photo editing for a print magazine? Sorry but that’s nonsense.

You’re obviously suffering from too much coffee again.
Step away. Read up on how to use paragraphs to structure text and then try again. Maybe with a decaf.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
A top of the line fantasy price model computer for photo editing for a print magazine? Sorry but that’s nonsense.

You’re obviously suffering from too much coffee again.
Step away. Read up on how to use paragraphs to structure text and then try again. Maybe with a decaf.
I didn’t think about that but thanks for the advice. I think you’re right. I’ll cut the caffeine out, I had recently just got back on it a day or 2 ago.

And what I mean is that it’s a Pro Plus machine just meaning it’ll do MORE than the 15” in terms of capability.

I also think cooling will be better, which will make many professionals happy bc it will compete better in terms of performance against PCs with similar specs.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

The 15” will be for the consumer professional. The guy who makes YouTube videos and edits photos. The Pro Plus will be for the guy making professional movies. And editing photos for Vogue Magazine. That’s my guess.
The already have a system for professionals that make movies or do photo editing. it is called the Mac Pro. They want multiple calibrated monitors that are much bigger than a 16" display, and video cards that are much more powerful than can be housed in a portable system.

Queen6

macrumors 604
The already have a system for professionals that make movies or do photo editing. it is called the Mac Pro. They want multiple calibrated monitors that are much bigger than a 16" display, and video cards that are much more powerful than can be housed in a portable system.
True, however Mac Pro isn't remotely portable and there's definitely an audience for powerful notebooks that offer a good balance of usability and portability.

Q-6

Reactions: Hieveryone

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
True, however Mac Pro isn't remotely portable and there's definitely an audience for powerful notebooks that offer a good balance of usability and portability.

Q-6
I would argue the existing MacBook Pros meet those requirements, and more importantly believe Apple believes so also. I don't think we will see a bulkier notebook in the fall with a 16", like the Dell 15 & 17" workstations.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Q-6
This is exactly what I meant.

Comprabably PCs have better performance because it can manage heat better and so on.

I’m thinking maybe Tim Cook sees there’s a demand for a really high end notebook from Apple that can compete with the Goliath performers of the PCs.

Think about it - that’s why it’s also 16”

Meant to be a work station kinda thing rather than for more regular stuff

Queen6

macrumors 604
I would argue the existing MacBook Pros meet those requirements, and more importantly believe Apple believes so also. I don't think we will see a bulkier notebook in the fall with a 16", like the Dell 15 & 17" workstations.
TBH nor do I, it will simply be a larger display little if anything else. The demand for a more capable, more diversifiable MBP is likely far too small for Apple's liking. Apple will do what it does best upsell; 16" MBP will be what the 15" should have been in the first place, no need for a high level of excitement.

Under Tim Cook the path is clear and the magic all but gone; incremental updates with sustained prices, new product with higher price points offering limited advancement in order to maintain the consumer/appliance cycle.

Q-6

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't think the 16" will be a bigger device, so that means reduced bezels. We've seen how reduced bezels on a TV make the old models look dated. We've seen how reduced bezels on a mobile phone make the old models look dated. Apple cannot afford to make their volume sellers look dated by an unaffordable top end model. Therefore I think it most likely to be a replacement, although there may be a low end model sticking around, as Apple has been doing since they made everything new so much more expensive.

Reactions: jerryk

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014
TBH nor do I, it will simply be a larger display little if anything else. The demand for a more capable, more diversifiable MBP is likely far too small for Apple's liking. Apple will do what it does best upsell; 16" MBP will be what the 15" should have been in the first place, no need for a high level of excitement.

Under Tim Cook the path is clear and the magic all but gone; incremental updates with sustained prices, new product with higher price points offering limited advancement in order to maintain the consumer/appliance cycle.

Q-6
Totally agree.
I am expecting a similar chassis size & design with reduced bezels and similar specs to the current models.

Apple will not be making a true mobile workstation as the market is small. I work in an area where you would think they would be popular but laptops such as the surface book. Dell XPS 15 and also gaming laptops are the ones you see. I think the days of the chunky workstation are disappearing except for a select few.

And as others have said, a desktop is always the preferred option if the role requires power, with a lighter laptop for on the go.

Obviously some truly need a lot of power on the road, but I see this less and less.

Reactions: jerryk and Queen6

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Take less. Use paragraphs.
The 16“ is .6 over the 15.4. hence this will start a transition from the 15.4 to the 16 display in the same chasis doing the same they did with the iPad Pros. But yes it will be expensive. The first round will be 4K I presume.
The guy making movies will use a real computer, because you need screensize for this kind of work. They will go for the Mac Pro and it’s new shiny Display.
I don’t think you can assume it will be 16” on the dot since the MBP 15” is 15.4” as you said. I will be very disappointed if it is only 0.6” bigger.

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014
I don’t think you can assume it will be 16” on the dot since the MBP 15” is 15.4” as you said. I will be very disappointed if it is only 0.6” bigger.
No one assumes as we don’t know. It’s all speculation based upon knowledge of Apple and the markets they supply to.
I agree with @iPhysicist

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes based on scaling and resolution the display will be around 16.38"
I’m thinking maybe Tim Cook sees there’s a demand for a really high end notebook from Apple that can compete with the Goliath performers of the PCs.
To do that, this one should not be thiner or have the same thickness to the current line up....it needs to go back to the first retina MBP body or even thicker than that...but again it cannot have 15mm thickness to compete with "goliath perfromens"

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014
Yes based on scaling and resolution the display will be around 16.38"

To do that, this one should not be thiner or have the same thickness to the current line up....it needs to go back to the first retina MBP body or even thicker than that...but again it cannot have 15mm thickness to compete with "goliath perfromens"
Can you guys list these Goliath performers that are in such hot demand please, and not the computer you want.

Apple simply needs a better gpu - cpu, ram, ssd are all good.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
who cares lol just buy a computer and use it.

It seems like you're just trying to justify your recent purchase.

No laptop will ever be "Pro" anyway. Desktop will always be faster.

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014

Some are fast but it depends what you call a ‘laptop’......
The MBP with a reduced bezel, improved keyboard and better GPU will be an awesome laptop.

It still wont compete with my imac pro though.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Well yes if the 16” comes out thinner, lighter, but the same foot print as the 15” AND it is the same price with similar specs I would not be too happy.

BUT

if it’s something I wouldn’t have bought anyway then who cares lol.

But I will say, I am genuinely curious about this machine. But fear of having bought a device right before a new one comes out is def there.

jardinager

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
NC
Just use your laptop and get your work done.

You are seemingly obsessed by a fear that you will not have the latest and greatest once a new model is released. There will always be new models.

Just use your laptop and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hieveryone