Rumors on iPhone 6/6 Plus chargers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markyr17, Sep 10, 2014.

1. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Have there been any rumors on the iPhone 6/6+ chargers?

I am going to speculate that the iPhone 6+ will use a 10 watt charger, same as the iPad, versus the 5 watt charger that has traditionally been provided with iPhones. The reason for the higher capacity charger is the larger battery that is required to power the large screen. It would take a hell of a long time to charge a 2900+ mah battery with a 5 watt charger

Anybody else have thoughts on this? Of course everything I've said is pure speculation, but I think it's what we will see happen.

2. mojito macrumors member

It's very possible that you're correct. I can see them releasing a new charger altogether or just going with the iPad charger for the Plus. No way to really know as of yet, but I think you make a good point. Which of course is going to make a lot of people mad that they need to buy a new charger (if they don't already own an iPad.)

3. markyr17 thread starter macrumors 65816

markyr17

To be fair, nobody would "have" to buy a new charger for 2 reasons

1. The charger comes with the new phone
    2. If it's anything like the iPad, any Apple charger will charge it. However using the less powerful charger just takes longer.

4. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I always use my iPad charger for my iPhone. You get a faster charge with the current battery.

I imagine the iPad charger will be included to charge much larger batteries.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It wouldn't surprise me if it uses the iPad charger as the 6+ is essentially a smaller tablet that happens to contain a phone.

6. dgreene196 macrumors member

Apple's website http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone6 suggests that both of the new phones continue to come with a 5W charger.

7. markyr17 thread starter macrumors 65816

markyr17

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is why I am glad we have 2 iPads in our household. The charger for my Air being the strongest, the charger for my wife's rMini still being better than the iPhone charger. I'm thinking we'll use the iPad chargers more often we we get the 6's.

9. markyr17 thread starter macrumors 65816

markyr17

As far as I'm aware, the 10W iPad charger throttles itself down to 5W when charging an iPhone. Am I wrong about this? My iPad charger seems to take the same amount of time to charge my iPhone 5s than the charger that came with the phone.