Rumour next Iphone to keep 3.5" screen but to have higher resolution screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Dec 7, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

2. superdudeo macrumors regular

No chance they'll keep the 3.5" display. They're most likely looking at increasing resolution to maintain the retina DPI for an increased size.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What advantage would there be to a higher resolution screen? The pixels are so small currently you can't see them. It's likely that a higher resolution screen would not actually be a noticeable change. But a more powerful GPU would be required just to keep the current frame rates.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

6. SurferMan, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Willing to bet cold hard cash the screen will be 4" maintaining same/similar resolution as current. Having another 3.5 with higher resolution would be pointless as though the human eye is actually capable of in the range of 470 ppi when converted to pixel measurement at around a ft away.... the retina at 326 ppi is already so good that you won't really tell a difference.

7. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

This is what most people were saying when it took a year and a half for the 4s to come out. As you're aware, it has a 3.5" screen.

Again, this is what people said before the 4s was released. Certainly you're aware, the 4s is doing quite nicely for Apple. Apple could sell snow to Antarctica, it's that simple.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I don't think they will do a 3.5", but then again, even if they do, their phones will still sell like crazy.

The reason i don't think they will is because even if they redo the outside design of the iPhone, but keep the 3.5" screen, its just going to seem like another spec bump and the press will try and just destroy the phone no matter whatever other new things they put in the phone.

I'm just trying to think what they could add to the next phone besides a bigger screen and redesigned exterior that will have everyone screaming its a revolutionary phone. Even though those 2 things aren't necessary for the next phone to be revolutionary.

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I personally don't like larger screens. When I was in verizon recently I checked out all of the new android surfboards and decided that I'd rather have a smaller screen (and a smaller overall phone) with better resolution than a huge screen/huge phone.

As such, I hope if they DO increase the screen size, they do so without drastic increase to the overall phone size.

10. kingdLo macrumors 6502

4in, Ipad resolution 1024x will still make the screen "retina" terms. And there will still only be 2 resolutions to make it easy on the devs.

*not that i know, but it makes sense to me

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

As long as the phone isn't any bigger. I don't want to have to start wearing a belt clip because my pockets start getting bulky.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That would be hot!

3.5" and the longer narrow 16:9 720p res and aspect ratio!

It might get back down to as small as my old KRZR was instead of the massive brick the iPhone4 is I had to get used to when I moved up to it's bulkyness.

13. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I don't get the size thing? My SGII has a 4.3" screen which takes up majority of the phone size, the phone itself is barely bigger then my 3GS or 4, and is a bit slimmer and a lot lighter. It fits better in my pocket then either one, the 4 feels like I have a bulky little brick in my pockets lol, even moreso with a case.

Now the bigger and bulkier phones I get, don't want those, but ones like the i777 version of the SGII is an excellent size.

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

So it's better....that's the point.

I don't even use the free bumper Apple gave me because it made the phone feels too big.

15. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Oh I agree, I have a case on it b/c my gf has dropped it a few times :D . I think Apple will do a 4" screen, I doubt they'll do a 4.3". The i777 SGII is the only Android device I liked a lot right now, spec wise and performance it's awesome, but it's the only one that felt good in my hands and in normal use. Some of the others are just too big and bulky for me. No way would I want the new Samsung Note, that thing is fricken huge for a phone.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It's amazing what just a fraction of an inch can feel like down there.

(that's what she said):p

17. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

18. RyanG macrumors 6502

Are you a midget?

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Are you a giant?

20. RyanG macrumors 6502

Nope, normal human height. The iPhone is an extremely small device, even with a case.

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Seriously? It's not small. It's one of the smaller current smartphones out there though. A palm pixie is a small device, a EVO is a large device. An iPhone is a medium sized smartphone.

22. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Jobs fought hard to keep the 3.5" screen on the 5 but I think pressure from everyone else will make sure we see a 4" screen at least with the same or better dpi. 4" would be 15% larger which would be the smallest acceptable size IMO>

23. nmork macrumors regular

3.5" was great until I subscribed to Netflix and learned I can watch it at work.

24. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

How about working? :D

25. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Blackberrys have even smaller screens than Iphone yet still sell well.

Those who want 4" screen should move to Android and no doubt they will miss the Iphone. :D