Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hi everyone,

in February, the iMac Pro was just released and reduced by 20% in Germany, so it was a no-brainer to buy it to replace an 7y.o. Windows Dell machine. The iMac Pro works fantastic, but there are still some Apps not optimized for the chipset and even contacting the App's support, they told us they need much more time to update the App. So we are still running two computer in order to use all apps. Is there any possibility to create an environment to run those apps (i.e. simulate a Core i5 or so?)?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hi everyone,

in February, the iMac Pro was just released and reduced by 20% in Germany, so it was a no-brainer to buy it to replace an 7y.o. Windows Dell machine. The iMac Pro works fantastic, but there are still some Apps not optimized for the chipset

Which apps? It's just an Intel Skylake chipset and Radeon graphics.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
The only software that has a small chance - I mean very small - of being optimised would be Final Cut. The custom OSX build they shipped with possibly, nothing more.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hi everyone,

in February, the iMac Pro was just released and reduced by 20% in Germany, so it was a no-brainer to buy it to replace an 7y.o. Windows Dell machine. The iMac Pro works fantastic, but there are still some Apps not optimized for the chipset and even contacting the App's support, they told us they need much more time to update the App. So we are still running two computer in order to use all apps. Is there any possibility to create an environment to run those apps (i.e. simulate a Core i5 or so?)?
If you are responding to the 32 Bit warning, you can safely ignore that for this and the next OS release.
For most apps the negative performance impact is highly overstated.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hi! Thanks everyone for your recommendations. The specific Apps are some online banking Apps and specific Apps of small Developers. FCPX runs perfectly. The mentioned apps crash at the start, because they can't handle the chipset. These are non-appstore Apps.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Mac OS X doesn't really care about the chipset it's running on, that's really a transparent thing to the OS and apps.

I think you may mean the CPU itself, rather than the chipset. Most chipset features are handled by the boot rom, tho some poorly code apps may do a CPU check and unexpectedly quit if they don't find a CPU they are looking for.

I've seen this with Adobe CC under the macOS with an AMD Ryzen cpu, CC just quits when it doesn't find an Intel CPU, even tho the Ryzen supports everything as far as instruction sets.

It maybe the app you are trying to run does a CPU check as different Apple shipped cpus would, or may support more advanced instructions/features in the app.

These type of cpu checks are really poor coding, and can lead to the app just quitting/crashing when it encounters a newer CPU. Really and app should only check for advanced feature set, rather than the CPUID.

Without the crash report it's hard to say what is going wrong, but it's likely just poor coding practices by the developer, or just the newer CPU in the iMac Pro doesn't support a CPU feature or instruction that an older CPU did, or doesn't support it in the same way, tho I highly doubt it.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hi! Thanks everyone for your recommendations. The specific Apps are some online banking Apps and specific Apps of small Developers. FCPX runs perfectly. The mentioned apps crash at the start, because they can't handle the chipset. These are non-appstore Apps.
Do you know, it's the chipset or the GPU?

You might try running them under VMware. I have some older OS X guests for outdated software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.