Run out of HD space, how big of HD can macbook work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by apollosministry, Jan 7, 2011.

1. apollosministry macrumors newbie

Run out of hard drive space due to pictures, movies, and music in itunes. I have been searching the web to see whats the largest capacity internal hard drive I can purchase to upgrade from my 250GB thats full? I have a:

Late 2008 unibody Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 250 GB hard drive

Can I get a 1 TB? I appreciate your help in this matter!
    :D

2. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

Yes you can get 1 TB internal notebook hard drives. I like NewEgg, but you can get them elsewhere:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605 600030600&IsNodeId=1&name=1TB

Another option is to just move your large media to an external (portable) hard drive, and keep your internal drive for the OS, applications, and documents.

3. apollosministry thread starter macrumors newbie

Great idea, and I did attempt to move my 50 GB of itunes to my external but found the functionality of always having to hook up my external a pain, and thought just upgrading to 1TB hard drive solves all my issues. Or is there another easy way to "get at" my itunes/iphoto/imovie files? I am concerned that if everythings on external than I can't get to anything media wise if I am not home or don't have external. ?suggestions.

I already moved itunes to external but would like to move it back if I get an internal HD.

Is 7200 RPM better than 5400 RPM?

Thanks so much!

;)

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yes, 7200 is better than 5400 in terms of speed. However, it will put a damper on your battery life. Do you use the battery a lot? If you do, it might not be a good idea to make that upgrade. But if it's plugged in most of the time, you'll reap a nice speed benefit, as 7200 can load from the HD a bit faster than than 5400 :) just weigh your usage and make a decision. Cheers!

5. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

Speed of Drives

I CTO all of my MacBook Pros and always get 7200 RPM HDs. If battery life is essential to you, then 5400 RPM maybe the way to go. There will be a difference in battery life, but I have not found it to be very significant. There is a noticeable speed bump; there has to be when the HD is almost 75% faster. My boot time and application start up time is much faster than on other laptops that I have that have the 5400 RPM HD. This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

75% faster? Not sure what spec you are referring to, but in terms of rpm, 7200 is 33% faster than 5400. ;)

Not that that number translates directly into data throughput, but I also saw a slight bump in snappiness when I replaced my OEM MBP drive with a new 7200 rpm drive.

7. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

I thought the number sounded funny, that is what I get for using the calculator on my MacBook Pro!! Sorry for the misinformation. What did you notice in the way of battery life? I found a big difference in what you termed snappiness; I wish I could afford a 512GB SSD, now that would be "snappy"!!

8. apollosministry thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your input!

Thanks for the discussion on 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm, has anyone found an internal HD 1 TB with 7200 rpm?

Also, if you are wise (and i know you are) how do i move my itunes library back off the external so i don't have to carry that external around anymore?

thanks all!:)

9. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I haven't noticed a huge change, if anything. At this point I have had the new drive for 6+ months and I'm desensitized to any changes in battery or speed either way.

+1,000,000.

10. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I dunno about a TB i have a 500 gb 7200 rpm hdd and it works fine and i have an external TB for all my data.

11. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info and the correction.

12. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

You can get a 640GB 7200RPM HD, that is the biggest I have found. I have seen 1TB configurations on an HP, but that two 500GB config. I just got back from the Apple store today, had to pick up the wife's MacBook Pro from repair, and had a chance to run some of the Mac laptops with SSDs and WOW there is a huge difference. Can't afford it now, but I think in the next year they will come down to a sane level. The popularity of smart phones and tablets will drive down the prices on SSDs. I hope this helps ;)!

13. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

Lastly, I cannot help you with the iTunes question. You may try syncing only the checked music. I have almost 40GBs in my library and had to chose some to trim to transfer to my 32GB iPhone4.

14. mikedgolf40505 macrumors newbie

Sorry to keep posting you to death, on the iTunes I was not quite clear. Go into your library and select to check all, then un-check the ones you do not with to sync. This will buy you some time until you get your new HD. Also PowerMax, Gainsaver, and Ebay are great sources for used Macs. One of them, either Powermax or Gainsaver will let you CTO your Mac, so you can get a large HD.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1 TB drives fit into the MacBook Pro, but not into any MacBook. The largest at the moment that will fit is 750 GB.

To the OP: Read the specs for the hard drive carefully. It has to be 2.5 inch, and it has to be 9 mm high. The 1 TB drives are 12 mm high, and they don't fit into the MacBook, only the MacBook Pro.

16. heliocentric Guest

They fit I into any unibody MacBook / MacBook pro

17. apollosministry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, I am definitely gonna just get the 640 GB 7200RPM as this seems like ample space and its like $99. Thanks for your help! :)

18. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I noticed a big difference with 7200 and it's very quiet, just as quite or even more silent than the default Apple HD I had.

19. dreddell macrumors newbie

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (White-08)

i was think of upgrading my macbook to a 480 gb solid state drive and bumping up to 4 gb ram. can anyone assist me on what to do????

Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (White - early 08)
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz
    Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 250 gb

20. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

what is the largest hard drive a MBP

I have a mid 2009 MBP and I want to put the largest hard drive this machine can handle . I seen 500,and 750 last year or so. Has there been any change is there a 1 or 2 terabyte hard drive in 2.5 size that will fit in this MBP 13inch mid 2009? I have tons of photo's in raw format that take a lot of space so need to upgrade . Currently upgraded a year and a half ago to the 750 gig drive and that is full so need to either dump all the pics onto the external to free up space and maybe add another ssd drive to the optical bay or another 750 gig 2.5 hard drive.
    What is the current limit this MBP will take in A 2.5 hard drive 1terabyte ?
    any input is appreciated..