Run Police Departments Like Fire Departments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-m...artments-like-fire-departments_b_7871434.html
    interesting, but how will the city raise revenue?

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not even going to give Huff Po the click. Last time I checked, fire didn't suddenly run when a fire truck approached.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That would lead to a lot more DWI and other crimes.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ridiculous idea.

We need to end cities that use their PDs as revenue generators primarily against black and poor people. Was certainly one of the underlying causes of Ferguson.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Real life example from today. This terrible tragedy happened a few miles from me:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/crime/officer-shot-in-ballwin/267805180 (warning: autoplay video)

The scene of the crime was right around here. As you can see, Manchester Road is a main road through the area. I was a bit further east on Manchester when all of this unfolded and saw a dozen cop cars from various jurisdictions flying past me towards the scene. But then there's a suburb east of there called Des Peres. They are not black, nor poor, it is very white and very affluent. However, Des Peres is also home to a piece of Manchester Road where it goes from a 45mph divided road, to a 35mph undivided road. This is an ATM machine for the city. I've nearly been caught there several times as I drive past this section of road all the time.

So, while cops from many jurisdictions further east of Des Peres are headed west, lights and sirens blazing to join the manhunt for this piece of garbage, what is a Des Peres cop doing? Yup, parked at the point where the speed limit drops with radar out. Gotta keep up that ticket revenue. And it's not like they don't even get sales tax revenue, they're home to the busiest shopping mall in the STL area, a Sams Club, the flagship stores of both our major grocery chains and many restaurants and shops. But nope, they still need to collect every last penny they possibly can even when a fellow officer is in need.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If I go by local experiences, speed cameras have a tendency to cause more accidents than prevent them. Sounds counter intuitive, I know, but what happened here is that people will go along speeding as usual until they see the cameras, then decide to slam on their breaks to keep from getting a ticket.

Accidents ensue.

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

That explains why collision shops are promoting the use of speed cameras. Always an angle to everything. You want the truth, follow the money.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    This idea has some merit. Once you get past the knee jerk reaction against it. If I think outside the box, I too have come to think of the police as a revenue enhancement tool of the state. I'm white, don't usually commit crimes, thinking about speeding at times here. I carry concealed, and in all my years have not has any crime perpetraited against me, save for an attempted petty theft from my garage that I thwarted by just yelling at the kid.

I do recall being harassed by police, riding my bicycle in street told by cop to ride on sidewalk. Then days later being told by police to not ride on sidewalk, to ride in street. I do find myself in fear of receiving a ticket as I pass police on side of road, driving safely with traffic all doing 5 miles over.

We have all become accustomed to police being everywhere. This was historically not the case as was pointed out. And if you think about it, with the recent police shootings in Dallas. Even the large presence of police they can not protect even themselves.

So is the over abundance of police prescience in reality offering real protections? Or is it like the TSA just an illusion of protection. Again I say if you want some truth, follow the money. Consider the huge investment made by policing organization on the war on drugs. Has it been effective? I would say NO. But the revenue generated going to police departments has been huge.

I have of late been very disturbed by the seizure laws in most states. Police hav e the legal right to seize property and money based on possibility of a crime. No evidence, no warrant, no probable cause. Have seen this happen in my community to law abiding citizens and store owners. You could be going to buy a car and have cash on you. If stopped by police they can seize the money saying it could be drug money. No proof needed. Can take years to get it back if at all. This is blatant leagalized robbery by the police.

So there certainly is a trust issue raised in my mind when dealing with police on any matter. Do you realize a police officer has the legal right to lie to you when asking questions. But if you lie to the police that is a crime in and of itself. Something is way wrong here. So when someone makes the suggestion that policing should be more like firefighters I don't think it's such a crazy idea after thinking about it for a few minutes.

For all the noise some people make about 2nd amendment rights, they sure seem to not worry about our other rights.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly. And the same with red light cameras.

NYC was sued several years ago, cause a group found that yellow lights lasted much shorter where red light cameras were placed compared to where they weren't placed.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Easy: Going after jaywalkers and other pedestrians breaking traffic laws instead of giving them the right to jaywalk at every conceivable inch of road. The police would be awash in cash in no time at all and maybe pedestrians would stop thinking they're better than everyone else or are the only people on the road, pay more attention to the roads, signs, lights, and traffic...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    Non-sequitur regarding truth and money, or else there wouldn't be as much hubbub about corrupt financial industry. Though you might have been speaking in metaphor, in which case I apologize for ignorance.

I've seen some inconsistencies there as well. Presumably based on hyper-focused perception of importance and many people - everyone, it's part of being human - have preferences to various issues, sometimes missing other reasons.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its interesting. But not practical at all. And, most importantly, it fails on a purely mathematical basis.

Fires happen, statistically, extremely infrequently. The average modern structure or dwelling will have an event requiring the fire department probably once every hundred years or so. The chances of a patrolling fire truck passing by a building the moment a fire breaks out are infinitesimally small.

But crime, or at least criminal behavior, happens pretty much constantly. Most of it is of the trivial nature: littering, jaywalking, minor traffic infractions. And therefore the chances of such events being witnessed by a patrolling police vehicle are much higher. So much so that most ordinary people are deterred from littering, jaywalking, and running red lights.

Thats not to say that some police departments might do a better job if they changed their patrol strategies. In many urban neighborhoods, for example, I think the cops would do well to institute more foot patrols. A police officer, out of his armored battle cruiser, is a much more human figure. Moving at a walking pace, an officer can observe a lot more of the little details about a neighborhood - litter, graffiti. But also the efforts that residents make to beautify and improve their environment. A walking police officer is far more approachable for merchants and residents to talk about gang activity, shoplifting, homelessness, etc. And police officers who take the time to talk to civilians in a non-confrontational setting do a tremendous amount to foster trust and respect from the community they serve.

The reality, though, is that most of us don't really live in "walkable" communities any more. Not for us, and not for the cops. Which is a bit of a shame, for more than a few reasons.