Run your finger along the black hinge of your Alum Macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by james948, Dec 23, 2008.

?

Does your hinge creak when you run your finger along it?

1. YES it does and it bothers me. Makes me wish I had on that didn't.

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Nope. Solid as a rock.

56 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. YES but it doesn't bother me at all. You're crazy.

22 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. james948 macrumors 6502

Does it creak at all?
    When I press down on the left hand side of my hinge it makes a cracking sound and pushes down at least two mm. Since it doesn't do that on the right side it makes me think the plastic is not properly connected on the left side.

It's not when I close the macbook. It's when it's open. It's the part of the hinge on the inside, under the macbook lettering.

Does yours?

I've got a date with a genius tomorrow. I want to know how widespread this problem is and whether I've got a chance of having it replaced.

2. kolax macrumors G3

You really are just wasting a Genius's time.

Can't believe you even think that is an issue.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, that's it.

Know the big "too picky" thread? Yeah, well, it's perfectly fine for someone to return a product for a scratch that they didn't do and all that, but when you ACTIVELY GO LOOKING for problems, then it gets to be a little bit on the jerky side.

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Another non-existent problem... to the wasteland plz.

5. therealdt macrumors regular

LOL. this is what happens when someone spend thousands on a laptop

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I ran my finger along the back and it gave me sexual shivers of electronic joy. Will definitely do it again.

7. macmike22 macrumors regular

snap.. me too

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

No problem here with the good old brand new AMB.

9. morphalex macrumors member

Why do people constantly find stupid things to complain about the aluminum macbook? Fine you paid 1700-1800-2000! for this laptop, what happens if you bought a $4000 laptop?! You wouldn't use it would you because your fingers will leave grease marks on the keys...get a life...seriously, I don't know how frustrated you guys are about these threads but I'm tired of seeing these inconspicuous titled threads popping up to waste forum space. It's a laptop, it's from Apple, so what? It's a computer! Use it like one and stop trying to find stupid things to annoy the geniuses at Apple. I honestly think some users take their replacement warranty for granted, and when they make it strict, you'll be the same person coming back and crying about them ripping you off for not replacing your laptop due to a minor scratch or dent, but instead just replacing that one part or repairing it.

There's no such thing as perfect, quit looking...

Sorry for my rant, but that's my .02cents

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Come on now don't be haters.. :eek:

It might be a valid problem, he was just making sure his macbook screen wasn't going to fall off or something.. I have the same issue on mine: the plastic back there snaps and moves everytime i touch it or open the screen... I haven't called Apple, and decided I was going to live with it and if it ever develops into a problem deal with it then.
    But I don't think the OP was trying to be extra picky... just concerned :confused:

I'm curious what the Genius tells him...

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

ultra ditto to the 10th power.

OP, be prepared for eye rolling and possible laughter @ the genius bar. you certainly deserve both.

12. gothamm macrumors 6502a

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When you refer to a genius appointment as "having a date", me thinks you need to put the computer away and go out.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I never thought I'd see a post like this! Hilarious!

This is just ridiculous! It doesnt change the performance of the computer. Just deal with it!

16. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

The OP is right to be concerned. He/She is obviously off their meds.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I dont have that problem, but for some reason when i close my computer the sleep light is a little too intense and it bothers my eyes. I went ahead and made a genius appointment to see if they will replace it and possibly cut me a check in case any future problems should arise with my vision. :rolleyes:

18. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Where's the option: "You're just incredibly picky AND crazy"?

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

(To the tune of Yellow Submarine)
    We all post in a trolling wasteland thread, trolling wasteland thread, trolling wasteland thread

Seriously OP, your claim is ridiculous. These threads need to take a break, people think these laptops are made of gold, hand crafted by Steve himself.

20. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over these threads. Maybe the guy is new and just wanted to know if it was a legitimate problem. I knew what the thread was about when I clicked on it, I think it was pretty obvious. I cant stand people reading threads they don't want to read just so they have something to go off on someone about... almost as annoying as people looking for problems with their perfect apple laptops and posting about it. I know I'll probably get flamed for defending this guy but whatever.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I bet if you ask nice, they'll replace it with an energy efficient CFC bulb.

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You guys are being way too rude.. I don't think the OP was trying to be extra picky. Maybe he's a newbie and wanted to make sure that the issue with the hinge is not something that would affect the screen ...
    Give it a rest already :cool:

23. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow.
    C'mon guys, you're all being very harsh.

As with any new product I'm concerned about build quality and I've discovered that my hinge has a certain amount of looseness. I didn't go looking for it but I now I've found it I'm just concerned it's not as tight as it should be. Rather than running to Apple right away I wanted to get your opinion on it first.

My original post was a little self-parodic anyway so please don't take the piss out of it (the wording etc).

24. kolax macrumors G3

Well, in all fairness, let us know what the Genius says.

Maybe we are being harsh and because of your wording, your hinge is loose due to a manufacture mishap. Who knows.

25. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Re-reading my initial post I think I mis-communicated the 'problem.'

When I press down on the left hand side of my hinge it makes a cracking sound and pushes down at least two mm. Since it doesn't do that on the right side it makes me think the plastic is not properly connected on the left side.