Runing steam account from external ssd in bootcamp, is there a way to make it invisble when in osx?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iemcj, Jul 11, 2017.

1. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Hey all! I recently updated my computer, to save space on the internal drive I moved all my steam library, mods, and quickbooks account to an external ssd. That way I have as much space as possible for my OSX partition.

The question is, is there a way to encrypt said external drive so it's not visible from osx? There's nothing bad in there......... but it's a shared computer and I don't want people digging in there and seeing a game called "Genital Jousting" lol.

I know I can format the drive as NTSF and then it won't be editable when in OSX but is there a way to make it encrypted or hidden or something? I'm not trying to keep out secret agents, just some rather interesting game titles lol

2. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

3. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Oh, that's the first time you mentioned that it's to be used with Windows (Steam and Quickbooks are also available for Mac OS).

Microsoft has encryption as well: BitLocker. So under Windows, encrypt it. Only you will have the key to unlock it. So under OS X when you or other people are using it, no drive access. When you reboot to Windows, unlock it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...c-f03d-20cfdf54202f/turn-on-device-encryption

4. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Ok awesome I'll try that! And sorry for the confusion, I re read it and I can see how you wouldn't realize I meant from windows, my apologies.

5. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

No worries. We're all here to help (actually many people are here to troll, but I'm not one of them LOL)