Running 3.1.2 with BB 05.11.07 On 3G & Trying to Up to 4.2.1 Without Bricking It??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marcbkk, Apr 16, 2011.

1. marcbkk macrumors member

I am running firmware 3.1.2 with baseband 05.11.07 on my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G

I am trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware to 4.2.1 without bricking it. I downloaded the 4.2.1 IPSW file and I have Redsn0w _0.9.6rc12, but I can't figure out how to install the 4.2.1 firmware from the IPSW file.

I thought the way to do it is to go into iTunes and have iTunes do it using the 4.2.1 IPSW file by clicking on Restore. But when I do that iTunes says it will download and install the latest version of the Firmware. So I did not proceed thinking I would not have the option at this point to direct iTunes towards the IPSW file saved on my computer.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I had forgotten to hold down the shift key on the PC to force iTunes to request the IPSW file. It is upgrading now. Thanks. I want IOS 4 on there because there are some Apps I want to install on it. I know it will be slower, but that is OK. Thanks.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah I know some Dev's are not supporting 3.1.3 etc. and that sucks having to figure out the lessor evil.

5. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am not really using the 3G anymore as I got an iPhone 4 now. But I want to install FindiPhone on it so that I can use the 3G to track my Iphone 4 if it gets lost.

Anyway, I have installed 4.2.1 no problem, jailbroken it, and installed Ultrasn0w. All is working except the phone still seems to be locked.

The baseband is still 05.11.07. Is that a problem possibly?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Disable 3G if you are using T-Mobile.

7. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

I am in Asia using a local carrier, but I disabled it anyway. Under General settings I can see it sees my local carrier. Still the phone says "searching". SO it still seems locked.

8. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

After I loaded FW 4.2.1 in there I inserted the original AT&T sim to activate the phone in iTunes. Is that possibly causing a problem and after the firmware installs should I just immediately jailbreak and unlock and skip that step with iTunes? If so, maybe I should just do a whole new reinstall.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Ultrasn0w should work for the baseband you currently have on the phone. Why don't you try to reinstall ultrasn0w and see if it fix the problem.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its better to activate with the original AT&T sim so your push, youtube app and everything else works fine.
    Also if you're not using Tmobile USA then enable 3G in settings.
    And make sure you install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock, I assume you already did that right?
    Try a reset network settings and restart the phone a few times. Remove and reinsert the sim etc...

11. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Did that, still no love :(

12. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Tried all that too. Still no love for some reason :(

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, make sure your modem firmware its still 05.11.07 and reinstall ultrasnow, reboot, reset network again.
    It should work, it does with everyone else.

14. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yup, firmware is still the same at 05.11.07.

DOne all the other stuff.

What it does is says "searching" for a while and eventually it goes to "No Service". SOmetimes it throws a message up saying it is registering with the network and this could take a while.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You made sure the sim is ok and active right?
    Maybe try another sim also to make sure its not a simcard fault?

16. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yes, I already had swapped the sim out into a cheapo phone and made a call with it and it works fine to make sure it wasn't a bad sim problem. I tried both calling in and calling out of the sim just to be sure. Also, this sim was working in the phone before I updated the firmware so shouldn't be the sim at this point.

By the way, I made a mistake on the error message the phone is giving me. Sometimes it throws a message up saying "Waiting For Activation - This May Take Some Time".

17. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Uh, oh. No, I just realized the firmware is 05.15.04. Somehow I missed that, sorry

Not sure how that happened. I guess it got upgraded from the IPSW file I put in somehow. Is it bricked now?

18. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Just read a link. I forgot to put in the iPad baseband during the redsn0w jailbreak. Gonna do that now :)

19. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Ah, relief, as soon as Redsn0w put in the iPad baseband then the phone rebooted and the cell network signal is there. Didn't need to do anything else. Thanks you all for your great efforts to hep me, especially Applejuiced for being so patient with me.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Im glad you made sure:D
    But good thing you figured it out in the end.

21. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Yes, many thanks to you, I persisted!

By the way, is there any way I could have updated the firmware from 3.1.2 to 4.2.1 without updating the baseband? I thought when I used that 4.2.1 IPSW restore file I downloaded that it would have left the baseband alone. It doesn't really matter since it is running now and I wont be doing any further upgrades on that phone probably ever, but it is just good to know for future reference. Cheers.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you probably didnt download a custom JB 4.2.1 IPSW but a stock 4.2.1 firmware.
    Where did you get it from?
    You could have created one with pwnage tool.

23. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha. You are probably right. I just downloaded from the first link I found. I wasn't aware there was any difference in IPSW files. I thought they were all jigged by hackers already. My ignorance obviously. I am PC based so I can't use pwnage, but good to know. Cheers.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's probably why.
    The custom JB ipsw's are alot harder to find on the net. The stock ones are all over the place:)