Running a PC trough iMac, is it still the 4890 and 5970 the only cards that work?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henrikrox, May 5, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Hello

So back in the days, if u had windows based computer and wanted to use the imac screen with that computer, u could get 4890 (which is out of stock) or the 5970 which is pretty expensive.

So im wondering if this has been solved by ati in newer driver updates, and im wondering if anyone with a radeon 5870/5850 dekstop gpu and confirm this working with a imac 27" screen.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

U should read about the million posts back in the past, when the only card that worked with the imac27 was the 4890 with a dp to mdp cable. The whole 5xxx series expect the 5970 didnt work.

So read up on that.

And i aint spending 150 dollars on a converter which cant even support imac native res. just a measly 1920x1200

Im just asking cause i remember it was just a driver problem. And since its been many months, maybe the 5870 etc works now with a mini dp to dp cable

Edit; **** it, i just orderd the radeon 5970 gpu, atleast i know that works (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost.php?p=1526374&postcount=112)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, thanks for the heads up. So one can't even use MBPs or MPs or Mac Minis with the "new" 27" iMac? Or is it only not compatible with other computers and only compatible with a handful of GPUs?

I know, you just ask the same in some way, but I haven't come upon any of those issues in threads. Hm.

5. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

U can use apple computers ofcourse, many of them have mdp ports anyways, and as i said it seems to be driver related (aka ati problem).

But anyways the wallet took a beating, and the ati 5970 is heading my way. Really really expensive, but beats buying a new monitor