Running Call of Duty Modern Warfare (for Mac) on MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by castingshade, Jan 29, 2010.

1. castingshade macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 13" with 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,
    4 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3. Would I have any problems running Call of Duty Modern Warfare (for Mac)? And how would the quality be?

-I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Runs fine. Quality is not going to be stellar, but it's very playable.

3. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

coming from a avid CoD player, it's very well playable at native res.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Runs great on a MacBook Air @ 1280x800 and auto textures... why would the 13" MBP be worse then this?

5. bsblvnv macrumors regular

I have the MB that is basically the same as your MBP and COD runs great on mine even at max resolution with 4gb, when I just had 2 gb it wasn't quite as good.

6. stanny macrumors 6502

7. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

I'm quite certain they are talking about COD4.
    Modern Warfare 2 is more taxing on the processor and video aspect.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

9. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

They are most likely talking about running it VIA Boot Camp

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"Would I have any problems running Call of Duty Modern Warfare (for Mac)? "

11. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Yes, the topic is about COD4 on Mac but the question of the previous poster, I replied in terms of using it VIA Bootcamp.

12. castingshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, couldn't I just buy the COD4 made FOR Mac instead of getting the Windows version, in which case I would have to use the BootCamp program..

Question 2: What is this BootCamp Program, what does it do, so on and so forth.. I am new to Apple/Mac. I just got this machine this past Christmas, so I'm still learning. Thanks!

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

BootCamp is an included OSX utility that lets you add a Windows partition to your Mac. You buy and install Windows XP or Windows 7. When you start the computer up, holding down the Option key allows you to get your Mac to boot up into Windows. It runs natively, and in fact runs Windows as fast or faster than any other PC laptop..at least according to PC magazine a year or so ago.

The problem is that many/most games (certainly true of Modern Warfare) for Mac OSX are only ports and don't run at all well natively under OSX. They will run much better and faster under Windows, the OS for which they were actually written.

14. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

You'll only lose about 5 FPS in the Mac version of COD4 though, not worth booting into Windows to play it, especially considering it's the kind of game you might play multiple times a day, sometimes for only 20 or so minutes.

15. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Not to mention Tiger/Leopard compatibility issues with older games.

Also, many/most games that are released for Windows aren't even released for OSX. Thank God (aka Steve Jobs) for Boot Camp.

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

I lose over 50 FPS on my 1,1 Mac Pro with 4870. I get well over 100 FPS average minimum playing the game on XP (according to FRAPS) compared to 50-60 FPS typical on OSX version of COD4 -- all graphics settings the same and on the same map.

For me, it is absolutely worth booting into Windows to play the game. Maybe it's less of a differential if you play at low resolutions on a laptop with many/most graphics doodads turned off.

17. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Wow, I see. I guess the better it is, the more FPS you lose. Some comparison had 7 FPS on average lost in Mac OS X, and another had the Mac version running better.

18. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've been paying attention to this exact FPS issue recently because I just upgraded from 8800GT to 4870. Huge difference between those two GPU's. When I went to the 4870, I was finally able to max all the graphics settings and take the resolution up to 2560 x 1600 and still maintain FPS over 100. With the 8800GT, it wasn't even worth trying to play under OSX, but the 4870 prompted me to give it another shot. It works, and is playable now, but it doesn't work as well at 50-60 FPS.