Running fans at 3000 RPM all the time using SMC fan control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kitrak, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kitrak macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have a 2011 13” base model ( upgraded to 8GB RAM) which I use at work. I use win7 with parallels 6 at my work (I configured parallels to use 3GB of RAM and 2 processors and it is a boot camp partition).
    The temperature idles at 70C with default fan speeds and when set default to 3000 using smc fan control it idles at 60C.
    So my question is : what are the effects of running fans at minimum 3000 rpm all the time(8-10hrs a day), I am sure It won’t damage anything besides the fan , but inputs are appreciated.
    Or Should I just leave at default fan speeds.
    If I leave it at default speeds it is warm to touch on the left side of the keyboard.
    And what is the lifespan of fans in these notebooks?

Thanks..

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Running it at a higher fan speed shouldn't be an issue. They are designed to handle the load and I used to have my MacBook at 3000 or 3500 rpms for days and didn't have a problem. Don't worry about putting stress on the fans, but I would suggest opening up the computer and using compressed air to blow some of the dust out like once a year. It really helped with the temperature in my MacBook pro. Just be careful not to damage anything when you do so

3. xDC macrumors member

When connected to my external monitor in clamshell mode, I set my fans at about 3k-4k rpm. I never had a problem and my macbook is more then a year old. Like mentioned above, a good cleaning while putting the fans higher is always recommended.

4. s2ksleepy macrumors newbie

i think your fans should last a few years spinning at that speed at all times. if you have apple care i wouldnt worry about it.

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Most mechanical things have a better life when they are run at a constant speed rather than changing speeds all the time. I wouldn't worry about it and they might even last longer.

6. kitrak thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks guys... i am planning to get an incase case and will set it to 3000 rpm by default just to make sure it doesn't get hot.