Running Macbook Pro at high CPU for long periods of time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funnyent, Dec 11, 2011.

1. funnyent macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm going out of town soon, and want to leave my 2007 MacBook Pro monitoring my house using EvoCam. I have two cameras set up and when evocam is running the MacBook Pro is running at about 80% CPU and the fans are quite loud. Is this bad for the computer? It would be running like this non stop for about 2 weeks.

Thanks!
    TIM

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While the MBP may handle it without a hitch, I would recommend against running at that level non stop for more than a day. One alternative, if you have a computer you can take with you or access while you're out of town, is to use a remote desktop app like TeamViewer or LogMeIn to remotely access your MBP and check on things, then shut down the app until the next time you check in.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

A newer machine yes, yours will have several years of dust reducing cooling efficiency and the fans equally will have an element of wear, and clearly the CPU is heavily loaded. This is something that you would definitely have to trail, as temperatures may raise over an extended period of time. I would certainly recommend a stand such as Rain`a iLap or Mstand to help the MBP dissipate heat

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't see what good that would do. If there's a problem it'll more than likely shut down the machine or make it inaccessible by a remote desktop program.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, if you remotely turn on the cams for a short period of time to check things out, then turn them off, there is little chance of overheating.

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I'm not familiar with that software, but it seems odd that it normally runs with 80% of your CPU activity. I'd investigate different app settings or emailing support to check if this is normal behavior.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

MBPs were not designed to run under load nonstop for several days. It's hard to predict if there will be a problem, but it seems like this setup is not an optimal solution.

Off topic: Why do you need to monitor your house?

9. funnyent thread starter macrumors regular

The cameras are actually monitoring the outside, I have a computerized Christmas lightshow and have many people that drive by each night, I want to be able to keep an eye on it and remotely shut it off if something bad were to happen.

Thanks for the replys everyone! I'm testing it tonight overnight and seeing just how hot the computer gets.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You might run into a problem considering the machine is a few years old. did you mean the program uses 80% of the CPU? I know in istat it shows the percentage that is idle.

11. hotgrease macrumors regular

Can you put the computer in a cooler place (garage?) with a cooling pad or something? That might help.

12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I just did a google search on the OP's app and high CPU usage and I only saw a a guy in a 2006 post complaining that his CPU usage was high at 8.5%.

I seriously doubt that a well written surveillance program would intentionally use 80% of the CPU constantly.

I would still make sure the app is the most recent version and email their support for suggestions.

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I have a feeling the OP is misinterpreting the CPU info

14. funnyent thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Here's what it is showing. (See attachment)

Attached Files:

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

looks like you're running around 95% in use... wow. that app needs to be shown who is it's boss.