Running out of Macbook HD space - what's the best internal HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowboarder943, Jun 23, 2010.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

My early is very close to running out of internal hard drive space. It came with only 120 GB which is insanely low nowadays. I've had very good experience so far with my My Passport for Mac 500GB HD by Western Digital. What are some recommendations for internal hard drives? Thank You!!:D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've always liked Western Digital, they make drives up to 750GB that fit in your MacBook

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would go with a 500GB WD scorpio blue. I have heard quite good things about them, as well as most WD drives.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I've owned both the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400RPM and the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 7200RPM - both are excellent drives. I'd recommend them both highly.

The Hitachi is a little bit faster, while the WD a tiny bit cheaper, and both in my experience both have been quiet and vibration-free.

500GB Scorpio Blue @ Amazon - $60

500GB 7200RPM Hitachi @ Amazon - $70

5. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! I think I'll stick with the Scorpio Blue just because it's Western Digital and it's what I'm used to. So since I backup my current internal 120gb HD to my external 500gb western digital using Time Machine. When I get the new one, I just replace it, the restore from the latest time machine backup?? Thanks!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, just put it in, reinstall OS X from the install disk and at the end of installation it'll ask you if you want to migrate from a TM backup

7. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

And then everything will look exactly the same right? Dock, settings, file structure in Finder, everything? haha it's very nerve-wracking.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Everything. From settings to files, all will remain the same

9. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty! Thanks! There's actually a sale at best buy for the 500GB blue scorpio for only $54 I think so I'm going to get that!

10. gaps macrumors member

gaps

I highly recommend the Hitachi Travel Star 500GB @7200RPM or the brand new Seagate Momentus XT 500GB @7200RPM. I had the Hitachi for about 6 months and I just installed the XT a day ago. So far both drives are silent, cool, and quick!!!

11. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know though because 1. I have the old white non unibody macbook, so faster spinning platter I'm sure would be heard, and still be hot because of the macbook not being aluminum. 2. The scorpio black has been around awhile with amazing reviews and I found one at Best Buy on sale for like $54.

If I had the extra money I probably would, unless I splurge and get it, use my $25 best buy gift card. What ya think?

12. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I think the 500GB Scorpio Blue will suit you just fine. Stick with that.

Good luck.

13. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Hahh alright man I think I will. Thanks!!

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

15. reubs macrumors 68000

Did you end up going with the Scorpio Blue? I'm thinking of upgrading my own HDD, and the Blue is what I'm thinking about (or the black; not sure if the 5400 vs 7200 will make a difference for my needs). So, got any feedback?

16. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

I got the 640 gig Scorpio Blue a couple of months ago. It went in my pre unibody polycarb MacBook just fine. I do not notice any extra noise or heat, it just works. Replaced a 320 gig Seagate Momentus that replaced the stock 120 gig.

Chef Jay

17. microcolt macrumors regular

If you want something extremely fast and expensive you could always get a 512GB SSD. Although I think that might be a little out of range of your budget(from $999 and up).

Although for some people they really need speed and capacity. :p

Oh and another thing to look into if you want speed and a much lower price are the Hybrid drives. I personally don't have any experience with them but check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST95005620AS-Bare/dp/B003NSBF32

18. DragonJade macrumors 6502

I got a WD6400BPVT a few weeks ago. Works great. Not problem with vibrations, and I've sorted out the energy saving clicking problem/irritation.

It's a lot faster than the stock hard disk that came with my unibody. Boot time has dropped to about 41s from 1m.

19. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

I got the Scorpio Blue 500gb model. Just restarted from restore right now! Time Machine backup worked perfectly!

Attached Files:

20. reubs macrumors 68000

Awesome. I picked up the same one today. Great deal, too, since they are $90 in store and $55 online. I got the online price in store with no problems, and I'm staring the restore process now.

Thanks for the heads up!