Running out of space on start up disc - recovered on reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myotis, May 28, 2009.

1. myotis macrumors member

On my Macbook Pro (Tiger) I suddenly got an error message about running out of space on the start up disc (woking on a word 2008 document). Checking suggested I had only 124MB left.

A couple of days earlier I had 60gb free. Deleting a few gb of programs reduced the space to zero!!

I couldn't work out were the space was being used but as most programs were now refusing to work. I just shut down.

On switching back on, the HD space had come back and I had my 60gb of free space back.

Has anyone any idea what migh have happened and whether its a sign of a problem I should try and sort out, or is it just "one of those things".

Many thanks

Graham

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Could be one of those things where a log file or temporary file got out of hand. It happens.

If the shutdown/restart worked for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again, then you should poke around to find out what's using up all the space.

3. myotis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that was my instinct, but being newish to Macs, I didn't want to risk ignoring a well known warning sign.

Graham