Running out of space to store iPhone photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by piatti, May 3, 2013.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

If I upload them on Facebook (no photo storage limit as I understand) does it resize them all to a certain size? Or does it store the photos as is?

I have barely any space on my Laptop (Windows).

So the only way to free up more space I believe is to send them to online storage. I guess I could create 3 different Photobucket accounts and use them to upload my pictures and videos for now?

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Get Dropbox...I upload all Photo's and video's to my dropbox.

Also I got Two Android smartphones in the past year (Samsung and HTC) and they all come with Dropbox Free Storage (I got 25GB Free from HTC and 50GB free from Samsung for 2 years) currently sitting at 87GB (Thanks to all the referring I did amongst family & friends).

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Thank you for the suggestion.

How much does Dropbox cost for how much storage?

I just read this article about online storage sites: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...ng-the-best-ways-to-store-your-photos-online/
    Picasa:
    Does a picture taken with iPhone 4 or 5 come out to be within that 2,048x2,048 pixel range? Because if it does then that means you can store unlimited amount of pictures taken with the iPhone on Picasa!

Photobucket:
    Does a picture taken with iPhone 4 or 5 come out to be within the 5mb limit?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This would be my recommendation too. 2-3TB external drives can be found easily for $100 or so. I partitioned one and now I even do backups of y hard drives since I have so much surplus space.

As far as the question about Facebook, I don't know official numbers, but I imagine the pics are downsized. I know for a fact location data is wiped from them. Even photo storage services like photobucket downsize pictures.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

2GB of free space
    https://www.dropbox.com/help#article:73

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

seriously, just get an external as others have mentioned.

8. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Externals are subject to getting destroyed or lost though.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well sure. But so is your iPhone and your computer internal hard drive where you are currently keeping the pics. An external is going to be the best option. If you don't like that, there are a plethora of cloud services available. It's a matter of where and how much money you want to spend.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Dropbox or whoever, do they guarantee u failsafe?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Some companies do (I don't believe drop box is one of them), however the OP likely isn't going to want to pay the premiums. In any case, such a service is not meant for storing pics, rather storing important business documents and info.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Cloud services for the consumer, to me, are so that one can access data anywhere there is an Internet connection.

Very handy, but I personally don't trust anything that's not under my direct control, as far as privacy and expect they always be there.

Cloud services for business, yes they would included backup service.

13. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i would rather trust my most important documents and pictures to my own external and backup than rely on someone else's backup. beyond that, you are subject to security and privacy concerns. i personally, use an external, another external to back that up and i subscribe to an online service. you can never be too safe i guess.

14. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I don't have any money to buy an external, because I don't have a job and live off of parents.

I told mom that we need to buy another external but she won't listen and tells me to delete movies from my laptop. But it's kind of hard to delete things. I've already deleted a lot but somehow don't have a lot of space left.

15. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest either get DropBox or get a job :p

If you have a lot of music on your computer Id suggest Google Music, 20k song storage for free, and they upgrade your songs to the highest quality if they have them on their servers.

16. scaredpoet, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

17. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Don't take this the wrong way...

You need to have enough physical store (on a hard drive, external or built-in) first. Otherwise you're going to be constantly chasing your tail, looking for more cloud space from various services.

I think you'll find that most people use physical space as their primary store, with cloud services as a secondary backup.

I've never considered the iPhone a photo storage device. I dump all the pics I take once a month or so onto my PC. Facebook isn't for storage either -- it's for sharing.

Burn some movies to DVD if you have to clear up space. Or go buy a freakin hard drive. Seriously. If you live at home, I imagine there's some chores you can do, some dogs to walk, or babys to sit to get enough to buy a hard drive.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They have 32GB USB jump drives for, like, $20 these days. 16GB for probably $10 tops. I doubt you would need more than 16GB of space so I would buy two of them (the second for a backup drive) and put the photos on that.

I wouldn't upload all my photos online because 1) privacy concerns 2) hassle to upload 3) more time 4) resized 5) etc. Seriously if you can find $10 bucks somewhere ($20 to be safe - so you can buy a second drive for backup) you should be good.

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Running out of space to store iPhone photos

Get a NAS (network attached storage) drive i have a 2TB drive and i can access it anywhere with internet.
    Try running phoneclean to clear up some space.
    http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

20. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I use SkyDrive. When SkyDrive launched they gave extra space to anyone with a hotmail or Windows Live e-mail address, so I have 25 GB of free storage. I use it temporarily for files I'm using often, then I usually swap them out to my external HDD on my home wireless network after I get home.

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

With all due respect, free online storage is a shirt term temporary solution. WTH is 3 or 25 GB? You'll be looking for more space next month. I'm currently looking for 4+TB now which hopefully lasts me a year or two.

22. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If the OP can't afford an external drive then a NAS is definitely out.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

Get a used Android that comes with 25GB of free Dropbox space and then sell it. You still get to keep the storage space. That's what I did and all of my photos are automatically uploaded.

25. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Which android would that be? Android phone? Does all android phones have that? What about android pmp?

----------

Unfortunately they gave 25gb when they first came out only and now they only give 7GB.