Running Out The Clock on responsibility.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FFTT, Jul 21, 2007.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

That's what we're looking at here.

Diversion, extension, manipulation, aggression, avoidance of evidence
    by any means possible.

They aggressively slap law in the face knowing that the legal system
    is too slow to have any impact on their current actions.

They are stalling, buying time and doing all they can to find any possible
    loophole to avoid exposure of the truth.

Running out the clock is not an option as far as I'm concerned and
    I've spent some time drafting letters to my congressman and senator.

Write, e-mail, snail mail, CALL, make your voice heard.

An impeachment is an investigation, AN OPEN INVESTIGATION
    and WE THE PEOPLE deserve that much.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Agreed.

Some argue it's so close to the end of Bush's term, why bother? Or that with a half-Republican Senate, it'll never be carried out.

But I believe the consequences of doing nothing would be worse -- would give an implicit stamp of, if not approval, at least indifference and passivity towards the illegal behavior of this administration.

The place to start is with an independent prosecutor. And let history take its course from there.

I know, I know -- an IP will be stonewalled. Bush, as FFTT says, will stall until he runs out his term. But at least we will have done something, instead of just sitting around complaining.

3. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Right now we have boots on the ground putting themselves in harms way while Iraqi government leaders plan their August vacation.

We also have a long list of private corporate contractors hell bent on riding
    the war gravy train as long as possible, then Bush and Co. will retire
    in lavish comfort leaving this nightmare war and the debt for all of it
    to the next administration to deal with.

The only people now saying stay the course are those who depend on
    the current situation for their livelihood.

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Reminds me of the good old days of 1999. :D

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Ahh, memories. :)

I didn't "write, email, or call" then and I probably won't now.

6. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Trying to hide a sexual encounter between two consenting adults hardly
    compares with what Bush and Co have done to this country.

Yeah all politicians are a piece of work, but this administration re-defines
    abuse of power on a historical level.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am in complete harmony with both of you. Last week I started a thread about the Moyer's discussion on Impeachment. For those who did not see it, a very conservative constitutional scholar and liberal counterpart, discussed whether Bush and Cheney should face impeachment. I was expecting a great deal of discord between, and barbs to be flying. It turned out to be quite the opposite.

Both men were in complete agreement for impeachment and the sooner the better. Moyer was playing devil's advocate against impeachment. He did not score a point. The part which really struck home with me was raised by the conservative. "We cannot pass this acceptance of abuse to future administrations" (paraphrased). As I considered that statement, I was reminded of something Senior Washington Post columnist Walter Pincus once said.

It was during an interview with Moyer in the documentary The Buying of the War. Moyer asked Pincus about the WH manipulating the media. Pincus replied, "I think that each administration learns from the others before it, and this is just the cleverest I have ever seen".

We cannot take a chance of the next administration continuing where this 'group' left off. :eek:

8. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Every time I've taken a moment to write my representatives, I have received
    a reply in the mail.

It all comes down to making your points clearly and it helps greatly
    when you offer solutions rather than just voicing a complaint.

I make a point to challenge their oath of office each time I write, but do so in a positive light perhaps suggesting that they reflect on how their actions
    will be reflected in history and that this is quite truly history in the making.

I ask personal questions like please tell me what I should be telling my kids
    about our local leadership and that gets results.

My representative told me that each personal letter they receive counts
    as 1000 opinions, so it does matter when numerous letters are received
    on the same issue.

My father always told me "Can't never did anything"

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, Clinton did it... so that makes it ok. :rolleyes:

That's the difference between us. If Clinton was pulling this bs, I'd feel the same way. I was mad enough at the lying about the bj, among other things, but the Bush administration takes the cake when it comes to incompetence AND corruption. Surrounded by their corrupt and incompetent cronies. And an ineffectual opposition stonewalled by their enabling counterparts. We can bring up the crap from 8 years ago, but that still doesn't compare to how much worse things are now. Please tell me you can see that.

10. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that no one makes it that high up the power ladder without stepping on a few toes along the way, but this is way
    way more extreme than any situation we've experienced.

I mean we have an open defiant, "You can't touch" me attitude with this administration.

They avoid paper trails and destroy documentation that could later be used as evidence against them.

They stack the courts with sympathetic judges knowing that if all hell breaks loose, their man will come to the rescue.

And worse yet, our esteemed congressional representatives did nothing to stop it.

You see the same Running Out The Clock attitude when it comes to any
    legislation that would dig into the pockets of Big business.

We've given this administration an unlimited revolving credit card that they will never ever have to repay from their own funds.

How dumb was that?