Running over 90 for the sake of EVE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redshovel, Mar 24, 2013.

1. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I have recently started to play the MMORPG Eve Online again.
    When I launch the Eve client the temperature soon hits 75 to 85C

As I have a few Eve accounts I like to have at least two Eve clients running over different displays.

[​IMG]

However the macbook soon starts to hit temperatures of around 90C and stays there until I kill the Eve clients. If I also launch Safari and do a spot of surfing too temps can reach over 100c. Both clients run smooth enough but often I am playing for several hours.

Is it wise to be running that high a temperature for so long. Or can the macbook cope. I know all about SMC fan control but heard using it wears out the fans quicker.

Any views?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I play BF3 which is very graphics intensive. I would suggest elevating the MacBook on a stand and keeping it aside away from other stuff to help cooling.

3. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Unless you plan to place a cooling mat of some sort underneath the system, this seems like a bad idea. The system's fans won't be able to effectively move air from the front of the system with the base removed.

5. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

The MacBook already is raised up around 20mm using a cheap 4 point stand.

I assume u mean the lower part of the Speck black protective cover I have fitted. Removing that all the time would be a pain.... Plus would it really make that much difference as airflow seems to vent at the back.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Is that a hard case I see? There's a theory that those can interfere with cooling. Try it with that off and see what happens.

I play BF3 on an external monitor with a Retina 2.7. Temps don't generally go over 85 on the CPU and 81 on the GPU, and that's with the graphics overclocked to 1ghz. If I use it as a laptop it never gets beyond warm to the touch, except for the aluminum frame between the keys over the CPU and GPU.

7. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

Yes it's a hard case. I will take it off for a while and see what happens.

When running the above setup the aluminium above the keys on the left hand side get so hot u can't hold ur fingers on it.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The vent is at the back but theoretically the whole body of the MBP can dissipate heat since it's made of aluminum. It may be worth a shot to try it without the case.

Really I wouldn't be too concerned with the specific temperature. Yes that's pretty hot but that's to be expected with the load you're putting on it.

9. Asuriyan, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

10. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

Just after running a bit with the hard case off...... Makes no difference :(

I can get the temp down to around 70 if I up the fans using smc fan control. Just unsure what's best.....let it cook at 90 or run the fans into the ground :/

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'd say let it cook. The components are designed to run that hot, and are not going to break. 90˚C is not that bad.

Furthermore, as you are clearly using an external keyboard and mouse, a hot computer is not going to cause you discomfort. Therefore ramping the fans up simply results in having an annoyingly loud computer.

12. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

For notebook computers, anything up to about 95 Celsius when under heavy load is normal. It's only a problem if you start seeing problems (e.g. sudden shutdown or massive throttling of the CPU, maybe graphical glitches etc).