Running two monitor displays, suddenly this new whirring sound.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sandock, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Sandock macrumors member

Hi all. I have the early 2008 mac pro, standard configuration. I run a 30" ACD and recently added a second monitor. Ever since then I have been hearing this faint whirring sound, as if something in the machine is starting/reving up and then whirring down. It's audible to me because I have my machine sitting on top of a pedestal desk right beside my table.

Does running two monitors make something inside, maybe a fan, run wierd? Could it be the fan of the video card? I am just curious, as I had not heard the sound before when I was running just one monitor. Oh, and the second monitor in question is a Wacom Cintiq. Video card is the stock ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. I dare not open the side panel when the machine is running to check what's causing it lest I mess something up.

It's like, rrrrrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrr, like a miniature reving sound. LOL, that's the best I can do to imitate the sound. It's as audible as the sound of the regular fans.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's more than likely the fan of the graphics card, if I'm playing something which really pushes the card, the fans spin up.