Running Unibody Fans RPM Consistently @ 3000?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omegasyn, Nov 24, 2008.

1. omegasyn macrumors regular

I was wondering if it would be safe to run the MBP fans at 3000RPM consistently using smcFanControl to keep the MBP even cooler?

Another reason is that the left side of my late 08 mbp is making some awkward grinding noise at 2000 RPM and running it at 3000 masks the noise. Plus I can't afford not having my MBP for a week or so :/

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you introduce too much air without added fuel, it may run lean which will cause the knock sensors to retard timing, causing lower performance.

oh, wait! Wrong forum..

Yes you should be fine. The fans a are designed to run much faster for prolonged periods of time to keep the system cool during processor or graphics intensive work. Keeping them at 3000 RPM is obviously within spec. Just remember that faster fan speeds also pull in more air contaminants (dust etc), so over time your system will have more dirt in the internals, than a system with fans running at slower continuous speeds.

[​IMG]

3. yoavcs macrumors regular

More wear and tear on the fan bearings. Significant? Don't think so, and I doubt it would make a noticeable difference.

Probably shorten the fan's life from 10 years to 8... Not something to worry you.

Then again, I am pulling this out of my arse since I didn't design the fans.

Only thing is, why try to mask something which might be a problem?
    That kind of logic never ceases to amaze me.

I'm in the med field, and I always ponder at those patients with terminal cancer who could've been diagnosed years earlier but thought that they'd just take cough syrup and make that annoying 6-month cough with blood go away. "Because I didn't want to think there was something wrong with me"...

4. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

Well obviously my problem is a lot less serious than cancer.

The only time I notice the sound is when the room is completely silent or if I put my ear right on the left speaker when the room has some sort of ambient noise.

We'll see if the problem escalates before I go all ape-**** like most novelty mac owners.

5. belvdr macrumors 601

I think you should do it now... You know, just because.... ;) :D