Running with an external monitor (17 mbook pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keerf, Jun 29, 2009.

1. keerf macrumors member

Hi All,

I just hooked up my 24" samsung to my macbook pro, and it is very nice. I have a few questions which may have been answered but perhaps I wasn't searching right. Since the thread titles didn't seem to match right.

First question, what kind of life does the macbook pro ( june 09 model)display have if I don't run the computer in clamshell mode. Just curious if I will burn it out quicker just running it like this.

Now on to clamshell mode, is that the preferred mode to run? Or does the laptop get to hot. Once again just not sure on that one.

Last question would be with regards to the graphics adapter. Typically unless I am playing a game I run with the 9400m. With the monitor connected, should I switch to the 9600m? I don't know if it would yield any different results.

Thanks all for any help!

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I always run my laptop in clamshell and it doesn't get any hotter running it that way, its designed to be run like that. It should last just as long whatever way you run it.

I think windows automatically runs the 9600 but I could be wrong.....

3. Lounge Deluxe macrumors regular

I always run my uMBP 17" in clamshell mode and have a 21" screen connected to it. I do not see any difference in 2D speed between the 9400M and the 9600GT when running apps like safari and Office 2008, so I usually stick with the 9400M because it runs the MBP about 8 to 10 degrees celsius cooler.