Runtastc PRO first HR/fitness/:apple:Watch App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Julien, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks like Runtastic PRO is the first native :apple:Watch fitness/HR app. I thought Nike+ would be first since it has a close relationship with Apple. Any runners going to give it a try and see how well it uses the HR monitor and if reports all Workout info to the Activity App?

I weight trained legs today and don't have time to test.

[​IMG]

2. mikero23 macrumors newbie

I've just tried it, HR monitoring works but can't get the app to quit. STOP just doesn't. Old way of killing an app doesn't seem to work. Am about to reboot phone :)

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Did you get it to work? Did it record a running Workout to the Activity App with all the info?

4. mikero23 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I couldn't actually end the exercise record so I ended up having to reboot the watch to kill the app (having nearly run out of battery over the course of leaving the app running for 3 hours accidentaly) so the exercise record didn't finish well. I'll try again when my watch is recharged :)

5. eboychik macrumors newbie

eboychik

I had the opposite problem - couldn't get the app to start from the watch. Tried deleting and reinstalling, and force quitting the watch, all to no avail.

6. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Still looking for something that will do this as well, WHY DOES APPLE NOT PUT MUSIC CONTROLS ON THEIRS?? Haha the struggle for the past few months..

7. vintimus macrumors regular

vintimus

Seeing the same thing, can't end from the watch. Uninstalled. Hopefully they get it fixed for an update, would be great for tracking weight lifting and yoga.

8. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

I cannot begin the app on my watch. Just spins

9. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Same issues here. Was able to start Runtastic Pro from the watch app, but it froze about 8 minutes into the run. From there it sporadically updated over the next 30 minutes (maybe twice). Tried to end the run from the app, but it was unresponsive. Ended the run from the phone app, but no HR data was saved. A waste of $4.99 and my time ... won't use it again.

10. ttforever macrumors newbie

I've just tried this, like others have said couldn't stop the activity from the watch, but stopped from the phone and heart rate data there. Not added to activity app, but added to health as a workout.

Annoyingly it adds a fake complication to the top of the watchface saying its recording an activity (green running man) but isn't interactive to take you to the app.

11. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds had baked and maybe even some wrong ingredients. Not updating to the Activity app is a non started for me. Was going to tap this morning (lad I didn't) but decided to wait until my Saturday run since I'm getting a 6S in the morning. Now I will just wait too see when the Nike+ comes out.

12. btownrunr, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

btownrunr macrumors member

I have used it twice since it's been updated to leverage the HR monitor. Yesterday, I ran 7+ miles...the app had the issue of not stopping, just like other people have experienced. I stopped the run from my iPhone and lost my HR data. After the run, I noticed that the app was updated in the app store again so I loaded it hoping it would resolve the issue. And it did for the most part. I just finished a 5 mile run and I was able to stop the run via the Apple Watch...it was definitely fiddly. I long pressed it, hit the stop button and it went back to the time/distance/pace screen. I long pressed it again and hit the pause button bc the run was still active. And sometime during that, the activity stopped and uploaded HR information to the app. I'm thinking when I hit the stop button, it starts uploading the HR data and it takes some time to finish uploading. Anyway, it's a little annoying but I'm happy I'm finally able to use the HR monitor function of the watch.

13. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Curious ... did you look at the watch screen during the run? Did you notice if it was freezing or not. On my run, it seemed to just get stuck at one point, and never updated again, although the phone app continued to work.

14. btownrunr macrumors member

Yes, I did and I did not experience the screen freezing. I was able to switched between the HR and time/distance/pace screens. There was the usual 1-2 sec data lag on the time/distance/pace screen. It was hard to tell if there was any lag on the HR screen.