Rupert Murdoch apologizes for saying that President Obama isn't really black.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Oct 8, 2015.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You'd think he'd apologise for not quite being human.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Faux pas, my ass. When did say bat **** crazy and racist things become OK when they "walk it back"?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I really don't care about RM's opinion.

What I'm amazed about is how things could be said so publicly in the first place only to be so quickly apologized for.

Was he drunk? Should someone take away his phone privileges for a week? Because it looks like he has trouble handling the responsibility of owning one.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Excellent point. We see the truth, and then we see the hiding of the truth when the person realizes they exposed themselves.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

as usual only sorry because he was called out on it.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to give Murdoch a pass but isn't it technically true. Obama is half white. Of course that isn't the context that he was going for.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Trying to quibble about percentages is a highly questionable way to look at it.

Who is 100% pure black (or white)?

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Murdoch is 84 years old. And Twitter is not really the platform for issuing well-thought opinion pieces. I'm not going to lose much sleep over it, and I doubt President Obama cares too much either.

Personally I wonder if Murdoch's Twitter feed isn't actually written by some half-wit Ivy League intern looking to score a full-time Fox News gig before going on to make his millions on selling dodgy securities on Wall Street.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'm sure you could find some close to 100% people in the deepest heart of Africa, the densest parts of South America, or the coldest, most isolated parts of eastern Europe and Russia.

You know, places people generally don't go.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

How would you quantify that? You are still likely to encounter a high level of genetic diversity even between isolated tribes. You would have to define some kind of basis to even determine such a thing.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There will be plenty of genetic diversity, but we're talking about the haplotypes. the more isolated they are, the more likely they are to have a straight, unbroken line of racial characteristics that can be sourced to one common group of ancestors, without any inherited traits from the others running around the world.

Though an absolute, 100% pure bred blah is practically an impossibility these days. The closest you'd probably get would be some South American tribes in the deepest, thickest parts of the Amazon, but even they have had some contact with outside races recently.

12. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Maybe Murdock meant the following:

Obama is a real black President who can't properly address the racial divide. Carson, on the other hand, is (or would be) a real black President who can properly address the racial divide.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I haven't seen any evidence to base that assumption.

I'll chalk it up to wishful thinking.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

When I read Murdoch’s comment my first wonderment was about who’d be Murdoch’s example of a real white President. Let’s see... maybe John Tyler?

My second, lingering reaction is that Murdoch’s remark was just another slur, followed by just another half-baked qualification, retraction or explanation. It’s reminiscent of the juvenile schtick of calling a colleague some epithet and then (under duress, and in front of the colleague, one’s manager and the colleague’s manager and possibly the Human Resources manager) appearing to stumble through an apology that goes something like “I’m sorry you’re an [expletive]” and only then finally saying “I mean, I’m sorry I said you’re an [expletive].” Great fun. You get to call the other guy an [expletive] even more times and with a bigger audience each time.

Throw in a Twitter account and an understanding of US libel laws and you get to call the President of the USA whatever you like before you get to say it five more times while “walking it back” and meanwhile enjoying all the retweets.

Bottom line, any slur says way more about the sayer than about the recipient of the slur. It’s all too clever by half and all so small minded and petty that it beggars belief we have corporate magnates engaging in such behavior in public all the time now. It’s not about how old Murdoch is. It’s that he does this stuff, and that other honchos and their operatives do this stuff. It’s juvenile. Fifth graders tire of the gig before Christmas every year, yet these corporate honchos and pols and their PR flacks keep rolling it out.

Sometimes I really hope there’s a hell somewhere after life as we know it, and that some deity is taking names for the waiting list. /rant

15. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

While we might not always agree, love the phrasing. A consummate iconoclast. :)