Rush has a freak-out over Stephen Colbert

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link

Oh. My. God. :rolleyes:

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Cannot wait till he finally kicks the bucket via a hate stroke.

Good god, the man is brilliant though, he has the meek eating out of his hand like a bunch of petting zoo animals.

Do people take this idiot seriously?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If Rush was upset that the job wasn't given to Jon Stewart, then I'd totally understand the freak-out.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I really like the first comment on that link.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Many may not like Rush Limbaugh but he generates a ton of revenue every year. Liberals tried their hand at talk radio and couldn't make it successful. Of course, had Air America been government funded it would still be running but it was forced to find its own sponsorship money. It failed.

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

How much revenue Rush Limbaugh makes is pretty irrelevant, it doesn't make him any less of a polarizing hate monger. And this is not just from centrists ( left wing people don't really exist in America in the mainstream ), I don't think lots of people really like him. Worshiping someone just because they are extremely wealthy is a bad idea, so is lumping the entire country into " liberals " and " conservative " is a great way to stereotype people, and it tends to not be true.

Now I think this could be that talk radio is mostly for the old crowd, and most young to middle aged folks dont even listen to the radio anymore, I know I don't. Which probably explains why things like Air America didn't work, people on the center and left just dont listen to talk radio. Hell, at my ripe old age of 30, I don't listen to radio at all, I just blast XM for music and get my news from the local TV station and internet. The only radio I listen to is NPR once a year for Cafe Live, which is just 3 days of music.

I don't see talk radio lasting much more than 10-15 years as the boomers die off.

8. Eraserhead, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Radio 4 gets loads of listeners here - and they aren't all old. That said radio in the US seems to often be pretty bad. I was listening to chart radio in the US and they played all the international artists they played here 6 months before plus a whole bunch of really bad stuff that is way worse than the non international British pop that's played here.

And there are always shoutout to Americans so there are plenty listening to UK radio.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You can't compare BBC Radio 4, the station that brings the world erudite gems such as In Our Time, to paranoid-schitzophrenic talk radio in the US.

Calling it "Pretty bad" is being kind. More like verbal diarrhea.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think part of it is that conservatives, defending what are almost always unpopular ideas, feel forced to retreat to guys like Rush, who provides them with succor and a world view, however distorted, that helps them support their ideas. Liberals know that however difficult it is now, the future is on their side, and probably feel less pressure.

Also, Air America ran it's most popular shows during the day. Well, contrary to popular GOP belief, blue collar people work during the day.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

As another poster said, American radio is pretty bad, esp on a national level.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe he'll have a fake stroke to go along with his fake outrage. This is a game to him.

13. G51989, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly.

I should rephrase this a little bit, young people don't seem to have latched onto national talk radio at all in America, but they do seem to latch onto local talk radio, not the crazy paranoid old retired tea party demographic that Rush caters to.

----------

I could see this, I don't think Rush Limbaugh is stupid or anything, I also don't think he really buys half of what he says, but he knows he can make a ton of money by catering to " Oh look at these kids today! Listening to Negro music and having pre material sex! " and the " THEY TOOK MAH JERB! " Crowd of angry people.

[​IMG]
    ----------

Oh, I should mention I do listen to UK radio from time to time, as well as NPR in the states.

If at all anyone is interested in a regional station, that does talk from 9am to 3PM, it would be this one

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/station/newsradio-1020-kdka/

I find the talk on this local/regional station a lot better than the crazy national shows.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I guess liberals decided they don't need an imaginary friend in a talking box to reassure them that they're right.

15. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I don't understand the commotion; Colbert won't be using his faux-O'Reilly persona on his "Late Night" show. Further, I'm sure that CBS won't be happy if he becomes overtly political since his new show will be appealing to a broad market, not just viewers from one side of the political spectrum. He's in a race for ratings now, and pissing on his conservative viewers isn't the way to boost those.

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Are you saying that liberals are so powerful they are a threat and so weak they can't even pull together a talk show?

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The Liberals attempted talk radio. Anyone remember Air America? That went down in flames so they tried to make radio stations have to GIVE them equal time to successful Conservative talk shows. They couldn't get any sponsorship because, face it most Liberals would rather be listening to music when they drive.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is an amusing classification, although I don't see what's wrong with listening to music. I typically keep the radio off, as I'm too easily distracted.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I listen to NPR instead. I don't need some weird liberal echo-chamber to tell me what I already know/believe. I tried and was instantly bored.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Personally, I listen to an XM/Sirus Station called POTUS. Unless my radio is taken over by DD11 or her 5-year-old sister. Then I'm forced to listen to Radio Disney or Kid's Bop. When I was a kid we rode in the very back of a station wagon and we listened to AM radio. Us kids wouldn't have dreamed of reaching for the radio controls.

POTUS is actually a pretty good station. It does tend to lean a bit left but it has a good mix. C-Span radio has a few good call in shows but listening to it often reminds me of how stupid the voters really are.

21. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Um, Rush's show is on from noon to 3 PM Eastern Time weekdays, and it has been highly successful. So it seems the show hours are not a determining factor in success.

Also, Rush is not just on the radio. He's got a newsletter in print and digital formats, his show is available as podcasts. Podcasts let anyone listen to the show at any time, so the fact that his actual show is on during a short period of the day drops out of the consideration when choosing material to listen to. In general, podcasts make listening to a show much more convenient because I can listen to it anywhere (at home or in my car) and on my own schedule. And that's attractive to many listeners.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Rush is putting on a schtick just as much as Colbert is. All of these talk show hosts are acting to get ratings. I doubt they think this way in their private lives.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The size of Rush Limbaugh's radio audience is a subject of some debate.

Short takeaway: Despite Limbaugh's claims to the contrary, its its almost certainly an exaggeration to claim that 15 million people listen to him each week. Most likely the real figure is between 10 and 20% of that number.

24. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Irrespective of whether you are correct, and I don't think you are, I was not referring to audience size as the sole measure of success. Obviously, audience size varies from day to day and even hour to hour as people tune in and out. Even the people in radio admit that. I'm measuring success by longevity, popularity, and influence, which Limbaugh certainly has. The trade publications for the industry provide an even broader measure of success, and he's still number 1. I'll believe them over the cherry-picked data from Media Matters.

http://www.talkers.com/heavy-hundred/

25. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I quit listening to him long ago ....bag of hot air..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.