Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
His comments were just that comments , and they were not racist. is it to a point you cant even use the word black anymore??? mcnabb is overrated, eagles defense is tough,and the media would love another tiger woods so come on and get off it. as far as the pills go he was screwing up big time.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Although I'm not a fan of Limbaugh at all, we need to wait until charges are brought up against him until we pillory him. The New York Daily News was quoting the National Inquirer. Also funny how this story came out today when Limbaugh is in the news for his stupid comments.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by pivo6
Although I'm not a fan of Limbaugh at all, we need to wait until charges are brought up against him until we pillory him. The New York Daily News was quoting the National Inquirer. Also funny how this story came out today when Limbaugh is in the news for his stupid comments.

I agree that we need to wait till the facts come out. In America we should still have the right to voice our opinon.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Look, I don't like Rush Limbaugh at all. I find him repellent in every way. But this whole thing about his comments was ridiculous - they were harmless and shouldn't be taken seriously. And this new issue is something he needs to take care of himself - it's no concern of any of ours. Despite my dislike for him, I wish him the best of luck.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Look, I don't like Rush Limbaugh at all. I find him repellent in every way. But this whole thing about his comments was ridiculous - they were harmless and shouldn't be taken seriously. And this new issue is something he needs to take care of himself - it's no concern of any of ours. Despite my dislike for him, I wish him the best of luck.

Well said, I agree with almost every point of your post. (Except I love Rush.:D )

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
as others have said...
I hate rush with a passion, but his comments weren't racist.

It's his opinion that McNabb is overrated. You can agree or disagree, but certainly that part of it isn't racist, right?

Then he offered an explanation for why this mediorce (in his opinion) QB gets so much hype - because the media wants a black QB to do well. Basically, he's saying that the media's evaluation of McNabb is based on race whereas his evaluation is based on McNabb's numbers.

It's fine to believe that McNabb isn't overrated, or that if he is, it's for some reason other than race. But all Rush said was that other people have judged McNabb differently than they otherwise would have due to his race.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Rush's comments were just plain stupid.

I didn't find them very racially biased.

I thought they were just idiotic, McNab aint overrated, he is a good QB.

But the whole 'being back' thing was totally his fault, he could have stated he was overrated, but he had to say that that was the reason that was he was black...

:eek:

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Here is what was said, from transcripts

Rush Limbaugh, ESPN, Sunday, September 28, assessing the talents of Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback Donovan McNabb:
I think the sum total of what you’re all saying is that Donovan McNabb is regressing, he’s going backwards. And . . . I’m sorry to say this, I don’t think he’s been that good from the get-go.

I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well; I think there is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.

I think he got a lot of credit for the defensive side of the ball winning games for this team.

McNabb responds (“McNabb Disregards Rush’s Idiocy,” Philadelphia Daily News):
It’s sad that you’ve got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal.

---------------------------------

From my read of Rush's comments, he was really more talking about the media's extreme desire for a good non-white quarterback. And it was McNabb who started it would the with skin color idea.

For people that think Rush is racist, if he is, why would he normally have Walter Williams to host his radio show when he's not there?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
His comments: inappropriate for a football commentator. Should have saved the media part of it for his talk show. That said, he was absolutely right.

The so-called "pain-killer abuse": This is the National Enquirer we're talking about. If, IF this is true, that makes only twice where the Enquirer published anything that could be called 'true'. That aside, the pain killers Rush takes (for chronic back and ear pain, the worst kinds) are quite addictive. however, there is no proof of the allegations at this point.

MacRumorSkeptic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
Southern California
Think what you will of Rush, his comments were aired on a Sunday show and it took until Wed. to make the news. Why did it take 3 days for people to realize they were outraged by it? Then we get the black market drug story right after. Could forces be conspiring to discredit him?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Had a Rado Talk Show Host get into trouble here in Boston. Our City Council also condemed the comment. What is unfair is that Mr. Callahan the co-host with Mr. Dennis is still working. They were both in on the joke. It should be what si good for the goose is good for the gander. I think that the apology should be accepted and move on. Our own governor had to apologize for a comment by an aide.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2532084/detail.html

Zion Grail

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Chicagoland
I personally despise Rush. I think he is an amazingly evil man.

His comments on that show were only borderline racist. However, to say that the man has not made racist comment is BS. He has, in fact, made a list of hugely racist comments over the years. Some so bad that I will not repeat them here for fear of banning.

I'm not surprised he is back on the pills. He was there before, remember? That's why he went almost totally deaf and had to have surgery - one of the pills he was hooked on has that side-effect for abusers.

Something tells me that had this been some person off the street with this habit, he would have no sympathy for that person and would even go so far as to ridicule him or her. I'm sorry, but I cannot have sympathy for a man who is this vile.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Zion, I am sorry, but you really have no idea what you are talking about. His ear problem had nothing to do with drug addiction, and as pointed out above, why would a racist person, as you think Rush is, allow a proud, intelligent black man like Wlater Williams host his nationally syndicated talk show? They are best friends. You really don't seem to know anything about the man, you just think you know what he's like because you hear other people say things about him.

Regards,
Gus

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Is Rush racist? I don't think so. I just think the man is tremendously insensitive. Sensitivity doesn't make you popular on the radio airwaves, which is why liberals haven't been able to pull it off like Rush has. Liberals are all *about* sensitivity, and that's something I respect them for. Unfortunately, it doesn't make them nearly as fun on the airwaves.

Regarding his comments about McNabb, I think he could have been more tactful. I also think he's wrong. Whether or not McNabb is overrated, it has nothing to do with his race. Superstars get overrated all the time, black and white. Quite simply, black quarterbacks are no big deal in the NFL anymore. They exist, and there's no need to support them, because some of them do quite well. Some black quarterbacks are good while other black quarterbacks aren't so good. Some white quarterbacks are good while other white quarterbacks aren't so good. In other terms: the position of quarterback has reached almost an ideal level of racial equality. It's not even something you see mentioned anymore, not even when Michael Vick excited everyone last season by being not only an incredibly effective passer but also, ironically in tune with the "black quarterback" stereotype, a potent runner as well.

If you watch the segment of the ESPN program, it's pretty clear that the other analysts reacted to Rush's comments not with outrage at him for being such a racist, but with incredulous shock because Rush made a comment that was stupid and ignorant--not for racial reasons, but for football reasons.

As for his painkiller addiction, I feel sorry for Rush like I feel sorry for all drug addicts. Rush may have had harsh words for drug addicts before, but I can only hope that this experience can give him a better perspective on the issue. I often disagree with the man and consider him ignorant and abrasive, but on some levels I do respect him and, of course, I hope for the best in terms of his recovery from this drug addiction.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
As for his painkiller addiction, I feel sorry for Rush like I feel sorry for all drug addicts. Rush may have had harsh words for drug addicts before, but I can only hope that this experience can give him a better perspective on the issue. I often disagree with the man and consider him ignorant and abrasive, but on some levels I do respect him and, of course, I hope for the best in terms of his recovery from this drug addiction.

I don't respect him at all. Rush Limbaugh has openly admitted to being addicted to and abusing prescription painkillers. For most of his pseudo-political-pundit career, Rush has derided drug users, advocated their imprisonment, and has fully supported the ill-conceived War on Drugs. Thousands, perhaps millions, tune into his show each day and have their views shaped by his words: Drug users are a menace to society. Drug users should be locked up. More police are needed, more search warrants issued. Drug users are dangerous.

He is, at best, a world-class hypocrite.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I want to hear all the facts. Do feel that there is a Rush is a different case because he started out with needed to treat pain due to surgery. His medication came from prescriptions. Narcotics are very addictive. I give him credit for coming out and admitting that he made a mistake. Just wish him success with the treatment.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by wdlove
I want to hear all the facts. Do feel that there is a Rush is a different case because he started out with needed to treat pain due to surgery. His medication came from prescriptions. Narcotics are very addictive. I give him credit for coming out and admitting that he made a mistake. Just wish him success with the treatment.

I think there's a big difference between just using drugs recreationally and using them because you're addicted to them due to a valid medical exposure to them. Face it: narcotic addiction is something we're all vulnerable to, and if we end up addicted due to using them for legitimate purposes, that's different from just getting high recreationally.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I think there's a big difference between just using drugs recreationally and using them because you're addicted to them due to a valid medical exposure to them. Face it: narcotic addiction is something we're all vulnerable to, and if we end up addicted due to using them for legitimate purposes, that's different from just getting high recreationally.

Ahh where was this comment when we were having the "is it ok to steal to survive, and is that different from stealing for pleasure or gain" argument....

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
That's entirely different. Rush's case is one of accidental addiction. If you deliberately take addictive, recreational drugs, that's different. It's more like the distinction between running someone over accidentally when swerving from an oncoming vehicle in your lane, and deliberately hitting your ex-husband with your car.

Zion Grail

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Chicagoland
A few points.

- He played a lot of golf these last six years despite his "horrible back pain".

- He got the drugs from his maid, not a prescription.

- He committed felonies.

- He has fought tooth and nail against social funding for drug addicts and has said they should all just be jailed.

- Studies of Vicodin has shown that one of it's active components causes hearing loss when abused. The drug Rush was taking has that drug... in quantities 80 to 160 times that of what was in the Vicodin in most of those studies.

- He has been in rehab for painkillers before.

- The irony here is delicious.

- Rush has said a lot of racist things. One of them was to a female black caller. I believe it was something along the lines of (not an exact quote): "Call back when you get the bone out of your nose so we can hear you better."

- A few quotes from Rush:

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentleman, a worthless shred of human
debris.”_ Rush Limbaugh the day after the lead singer of Nirvana
committed suicide due to a drug problem.

“Why should blacks be heard? They’re 12% of the population. Who the
hell cares.”_ Rush Limbaugh

“Have you ever noticed that all newspaper composite drawings of wanted
criminals look like Jesse Jackson?” Rush Limbaugh.

"They vote with their vaginas!" Rush Limbaugh on women

“Women were doing quite well in this country before feminism came
along.” Rush Limbaugh forgetting that before feminism, women were not
only denied the vote but considered property.

“It’s not my fault! I was telling an innocent story about a White House dog, when an unnamed staffer put Chelsea’s picture on the screen against my will!” Big lie by big liar Rush Limbaugh -
hint1 - There was no dog in the White House at that time -_
hint2 - After the unattractive shot of 13 old Chelsea with a big mouth full of braces hit the screen, Rush and his tv audience laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed...Snotsnorting laughter.

"Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. ... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up," Limbaugh said on his short-lived television show on Oct. 5, 1995.

RUSH ON LEGALIZING DRUGS, IN 1993: "I'm appalled at people who simply want to look at all this abhorrent behavior and say, 'People are going to drugs anyway - lets legalize it.' It's a dumb idea. It's a rotten idea, and those who are for it are purely, 100 percent selfish."

RUSH ON EQUAL OPPORTUNITY IN SENDING DRUGGIES TO PRISON: "What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with traficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river, too."

RUSH LIMBAUGH ON SENDING DRUGGIES TO JAIL: "There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborheads which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."

IMBAUGH ON JERRY GARCIA'S DEATH: When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he is being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks."

And you want me, a liberal, to have compassion for this man.

I'm a really nice guy. I'm a huge liberal - what conservatives call a "bleeding heart liberal". And it's true, I am.

However, after all this man has done... I'm sorry, but there's no compassion here for this man. If he straightens himself out and then actually comes out and vigorously supports public measures to help treat addiction, then I'll have some compassion for him.

Until then, no.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by Zion Grail
However, after all this man has done... I'm sorry, but there's no compassion here for this man. If he straightens himself out and then actually comes out and vigorously supports public measures to help treat addiction, then I'll have some compassion for him.

For God's sakes why? Limbaugh's not asking for the government to treat his addiction, and rightly so. Legalization, you might have a point for.

("Have you ever noticed that all newspaper composite drawings of wanted criminals look like Jesse Jackson?” Rush Limbaugh.) I don't think this is a racist remark, I just think he's making fun of Jesse Jackson and implying in a humorous fashion that he's responsible for a one-man crime wave. It was insensitive, I'll give you that. But hell, my father can be just as insensitive, and I know for a fact he's no racist.

("It’s not my fault! I was telling an innocent story about a White House dog, when an unnamed staffer put Chelsea’s picture on the screen against my will!" Big lie by big liar Rush Limbaugh -
hint1 - There was no dog in the White House at that time -_
hint2 - After the unattractive shot of 13 old Chelsea with a big mouth full of braces hit the screen, Rush and his tv audience laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed...Snotsnorting laughter.) The "It's not my fault" wasn't a lie, it was a joke, and while making fun of Chelsea Clinton is insensitive (except when John McCain does it, since he's a war hero and all :rolleyes: ), it's well within the purview of a shock jock.

("They vote with their vaginas!" Rush Limbaugh on women) It wouldn't be nearly as inflammatory if it wasn't largely true. Not all women, obviously, but lots of them do. Which is why, statistically, the sexier man gets the female vote. Kennedy and Clinton especially.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
("They vote with their vaginas!" Rush Limbaugh on women) It wouldn't be nearly as inflammatory if it wasn't largely true. Not all women, obviously, but lots of them do. Which is why, statistically, the sexier man gets the female vote. Kennedy and Clinton especially.

That is one of the most ignorant, misogynist comments I have seen on these forums. I don't know how many things are wrong with that statement. It boggles the mind. If you're trying to be funny ("trying" being the operative word), you should really try a little harder.

And if you're not trying to be funny and really believe that, then you need to turn off the ol' computer and get a life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.