Rush Limbaugh Loves Tiger, finds bug -- and workaround -- wi...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Wow. I guess I can't hate the guy as much as I did. ;)

I don't see the bug he mentioned when I use iSync, but still, my perceptions have been - to a very tiny extent - altered.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Yeah, it's no secret that Rush is a Mac user, i was surprised myself. The very few times I've actually tolerated his show (without having to take painkillers) I've heard him mention his Mac a few times. Even heard him mention an obscure 80's rock/opera singer from Germany named Klaus Nomi. Strange stuff.

Fishes,
narco.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
jsw said:
Wow. I guess I can't hate the guy as much as I did. ;)

I don't see the bug he mentioned when I use iSync, but still, my perceptions have been - to a very tiny extent - altered.
Yeah, I seem to recall that he's a big-time mac evangelist of sorts. My mom says he often talks about his mac on the radio program.

I seem to recall Roger Ebert saying that the percentage of mac users (2%) is really ideal, because it's an accurate reflection of the number of intelligent people in the world...

heh, I think regardless of what you think about Limbaugh's political views and personality, he's a very sharp guy. Dunno about his problem, though, I don't have .Mac...

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Rush has 5 Macs and talks about them quite often.

He's amazed at Tiger much more than he was with Panther. Good to see more advertisement.

dlfitch

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
That's gonna be the problem with Apple taking over Microsoft - suddenly everyone you hate will be using Macs...

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
tangerineyum said:
I must say that I am shocked, and somewhat confused. He seems very un-mac like. :confused:
I don't know. He's strongly opinionated. Ego the size of a planet. Nobody can ever tell him he's wrong. Highly successful. Insulted and abused by his rivals.

Sounds just like Steve Jobs to me. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
shamino said:
I don't know. He's strongly opinionated. Ego the size of a planet. Nobody can ever tell him he's wrong. Highly successful. Insulted and abused by his rivals.

:D Or like 80% of the people at MR with avatars. ;)

Can anyone full text a brotha' who doesn't really want to become a Rush 24/7 member? :rolleyes:

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
tangerineyum said:
I must say that I am shocked, and somewhat confused. He seems very un-mac like. :confused:
He has been a Mac user for a very long time, at least 10 years that I know.
And yes, I am conservative Republican with a libertarian bent, and a Mac user for over a decade. Because it works.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I need to register to the site. Not going to bother. Someone care to copy/paste the article?

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
Thought this had made the rounds several times that Limbaugh is a Mac guy. I believe Limbaugh has said that Jobs' (a big-time Democrat, apparently...look who he put on his Board) dislike of Limbaugh's politics has kept Apple from making a big deal of him, as a major media personality, using Mac's. Certainly Apple seems to brag about any and every high profile person that uses Macs.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
HELLFISH said:
This is exactly what I was talking about:
In what way? No one is arguing about anything in this thread (this one here, not the one you linked)...it seems to me responses fall into three categories in this thread:

- The "can you please fulltext me" crowd (i.e. Lacero and me :D)
- The "yeah, good for him" crowd
- The "his personality doesn't seem Mac-like, but yeah, good for him" crowd

So what's the big issue with that? I haven't seen any "hateful responses," as you put it, in this thread. I didn't even see them in your thread. So I'm a bit lost. Educate me, please.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
mkrishnan said:
- The "his personality doesn't seem Mac-like, but yeah, good for him" crowd
In his defense, responses of these type fit his comment... on the other hand, in this very thread we've fairly well debunked that:
shamino said:
He's strongly opinionated. Ego the size of a planet. Nobody can ever tell him he's wrong. Highly successful. Insulted and abused by his rivals.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
shadowfax said:
In his defense, responses of these type fit his comment... on the other hand, in this very thread we've fairly well debunked that:
I was going to type in something more detailed when I thought more carefully about Mudbug's request to keep this out of the political forum. :D

Suffice it to say that: (1) I think there one can have a concept of a person's personality, even if they are a political figure, that is not inherently a "political opinion" by that virtue; that (2) having such a concept is not inherently "hateful," and that (3) in some real ways, Limbaugh embodies what it means to "think different."

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
mkrishnan said:
I was going to type in something more detailed when I thought more carefully about Mudbug's request to keep this out of the political forum. :D

Suffice it to say that: (1) I think there one can have a concept of a person's personality, even if they are a political figure, that is not inherently a "political opinion" by that virtue; that (2) having such a concept is not inherently "hateful," and that (3) in some real ways, Limbaugh embodies what it means to "think different."
I guess what shamino says sort of exposes the thinking behind someone's surprise that Limbaugh owns a mac (and is a mac zealot): It's clearly rooted in the assumption that because he's extremely conservative, he wouldn't own a mac. If we want to start ANOTHER discussion in the political forum about this, we could go into more detail. I don't really want to, but I will say that there is no question that there are those mac zealots who subconsciously project their own personalities (and those of their friends) into their political stances. It's all very subtle, and I would say rather harmless, but you definitely end up with comments like we have had on this thread (several horrible ones that have since been deleted) to the effect of just assuming from his political stance and... rather inflammatory persona on the radio with respect to it--that he is an unlikely candidate to be a mac user.

This subconscious thought breaks down with the slightest reasoning, of course, and people who make the (usually harmless) comments to this effect will generally quickly agree with shamino--his personality, almost ironically (in light of the prejudices, that is) is to a tee that of the stereotypical mac user.

I think that even Jobs and Apple are horrendously guilty of this mistake, and their behavior speaks volumes to this and their perspective on their customer base: as has been mentioned, they make a big deal out of mac users, even political ones (gore?). Yet they have never mentioned that, say, Bush and Limbaugh are faithful mac people.

In a very real, yet vague and somewhat subconscious way, the macintosh is colored by "liberals"/democrats, in the US. That is to say, there is a documentable skew towards them in the user base, the company itself is predominantly "left-leaning", and certainly its leadership is.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Microsoft as a company is also fairly "left-leaning," so this all must be interpreted with a huge grain of salt, realizing that the strata of humanity in this community and any other is so big that one is forced to make generalizations ("left", "conservative," etc) in order to understand anything at all, and yet so diverse that these generalizations and labels inherently step on the toes of people.

with all that rambling stuff in mind, I would say, cautiously, that HELLFISH's coments regarding this are not unfounded at all, it's just that he seems to be excruciatingly sensitive about it, which I would say is somewhat misguided.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
shadowfax said:
This subconscious thought breaks down with the slightest reasoning, of course, and people who make the (usually harmless) comments to this effect will generally quickly agree with shamino--his personality, almost ironically (in light of the prejudices, that is) is to a tee that of the stereotypical mac user.
It's typical of anybogy who believes passionately about something. That something may be a religion, a political cause, a choice of operating system, a sports team, or anything else.

When you passionately believe in something, you talk about it to everybody you can make listen to you. In doing so, you make some friends and some enemies. This is normal. When you're a public figure, nothing changes, except for the number of people who you turn into friends/enemies - not because you're any better or worse than the rest, but because your opinions reach more people.

Limbaugh believes passionately in the US-conservative political stance. Jobs believes passionately in the inherent superiority of his corporation and his products. Ditto for an evangelical preacher, Yankees/Red Sox fans, powerful heads of state, etc.
shadowfax said:
In a very real, yet vague and somewhat subconscious way, the macintosh is colored by "liberals"/democrats, in the US. That is to say, there is a documentable skew towards them in the user base, the company itself is predominantly "left-leaning", and certainly its leadership is.
Well, there's that perception. Apple has a (not very accurate) reputation for being a company founded by and run by hippies and ex-hippies. Since the hippies were anti-war in the 60's and the Democrats are anti-war today, people end up with this association.

I'm sure there are a whole lot more conservatives using Macs than Jobs and the Apple Faithful would like you to believe. But you don't hear about them (aside from the big symbols like Limbaugh), because most people really don't care. I can't imagine anybody choosing a computer based on the perceived political beliefs of the customer base.