Rush Limbaugh mocks "rape police"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Oct 13, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I know that Rush Limbaugh is not the political force he once was, but, he is still has a lot of listeners. His latest tirade is pretty astonishing-- to me at least. He actually attacked the whole notion of consent.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-left-strict-consensual-sex-article-1.2828825

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" - how else do these valueless hacks of society manage to remain popular for decades? By being ribald. It's fun, their audience simply adores it because it's nothing more than fun for them. Which arguably speaks worse for their supporters, but anyone can be led. But we blame the symptom and never the disease. We blame the reactionary, not those doing the heinous action.

Rush will undoubtedly be given a lucrative bonus.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Actually I thought consent was the whole dividing line, no?

5. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Actually, no. Thanks in part to a massive backlash from the Sandra Fluke incident, he's lost thousands of advertisers, he's been turfed from high-rated stations in almost every major market (forcing iHeart, already billions in debt, to buy stations with less broadcast power than your average microwave oven to get him airtime), his ratings are down in the tenths-of-a-percent range, and in the final indignity, his last contract stipulates that he now gets a commission on ad sales only. NO SALARY.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I have two daughters and the last thing Id ever want is for one of them to ever be in a situation where they felt forced to do something they didnt want to do. Every parent here can agree. But....

... it seems to me that in this day and age women come out from under rocks left and right to conveniently accuse famous, usually rich men of fondling them inappropriately. It always happens many years after the alleged incident. It usally coincides with the accused man achiving fame, fortune, running for office, etc, etc. Do any working class guys get accused of this stuff many years later? Ya dont hear about it much, do ya? Hmmmmm.

The problem is that so many years later, how the hell do you prove this? Why do they always wait so long? Why is it always like this? Im sorry but in many cases(not all) it simply makes the accuser look like an opportunist rather than an actual victim. It also reeks of someone behind the scenes "pushing" these apparent victims into doing this due to some other agenda... like ruining a campaign, tarnishing an image, plain old extortion, etc, etc.

There ought to be repurcussions for people coming out so late and after the fact IF it is found they are either lying or cannot prove their case enough. Its not fair to the accussed to have their reputation damaged by this stuff.

There, I said it.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I was going to say it that if it happened to his daughter he would understand, but I remembered he doesn't have any kids (and three ex-wives)

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Funny, I thought laws prohibiting sex without consent had bipartisan support.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no your misremember the GOP stance on legitimate rape

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Difficult to keep up. Wikipedia still lists Limbaugh as #2, between NPR evening and morning shows #1 and #3. Talkers.com still lists him as the #1 talk show. (I'm sure vastly more people listen to music and sports.) I think you have to pay Nielsen for the actual day-to-day ratings, don't you?

11. samcraig macrumors P6

It happens. You just don't hear about it because they aren't high profile people.

Why do they wait so long? Because they don't want to be dragged through the media, the courts and trial by internet. That's the problem. Also because some might have dismissed it back then as their fault(?) but now, years later, realize it was abuse. And because Trump flat out denied ever doing such a thing on National TV.

The truth will come out. And I think the regardless of whether it's current or years ago - if it's proven that a victim is not actually a victim, they should have to face consequences.

I also believe that when vindicated, there should be no question either. I find it incendiary that after the Central Park Five have been vindicated - that Trump still insists of their guilt. I hope he realizes what a karmic machine he has built.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Go read that Stanford rapist victim's statement and you'll understand why so few women report sex crimes.

Furthermore, in all three articles (NYT, People, and Palm Beach Post), the women did share what happened with a few people close to them, and the journalists verified their accounts. They just didn't go public, and you can't blame them.

It's quite clear why they're going public now though, after the tapes and Trump denying them in the debate.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Better yet, go read the People Magazine reporter's story from yesterday., She explains it well, first hand.

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Talkers is an industry shill rag (.com). In many markets, he's ranking below college alternative music and foreign-language formats.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yup.

Also, from the NYT story:

A few hours after Mr. Trump kissed her, Ms. Crooks returned to her apartment in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn and broke down to her boyfriend at the time, Clint Hackenburg.

“I asked, ‘How was your day?’” Mr. Hackenburg recalled. “She paused for a second, and then started hysterically crying."

After Ms. Crooks described her experience with Mr. Trump, she and Mr. Hackenburg discussed what to do.

“I think that what was more upsetting than him kissing her was that she felt like she couldn’t do anything to him because of his position,” he said. “She was 22. She was a secretary. It was her first job out of college. I remember her saying, ‘I can’t do anything to this guy, because he’s Donald Trump.’”

Nothing but a scumbag sexual predator taking advantage of his wealth and fame to exploit women. Just like he bragged about on that bus.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Damn skippy.. at least I can here

Well for one, the rich can usually bury the complaint with a large settlement or threaten potential legal proceedings with a large team of lawyers vs. some over worked public defender. I don't know how often 'working class' people get accused of this many years later... it might be a nature of the news. But what comes to mind is the stories of serial abusers getting busted after a lengthy period of time has passed. Here in Toronto, just down the street from me, a worker at Maple Leaf Gardens (former home of the Toronto Maple Leafs) used his position and access to the grounds to lure small boys and abuse them. The numbers that came forward were shocking and the abuse stretched back decades.

Some times I'm sceptical too of such timing, I don't like Trump by any means before this, but if an allegation like this comes forward it's opening up to a lot of criticism and review. It's going to be rough on those women for coming forward regardless, and maybe (just maybe) that's what they are hiding from.

17. wepiii macrumors 6502a

Funny! But not true. Not true of the GOP as a whole anyway

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Do cardboard cutouts count?

[​IMG]

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plenty have gone to prison for it in the U.K. I don't think it's extortion.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not disputing. I just don't have access to those numbers. (Or, don't know where to look for the real numbers, if they are available on the web.)

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep. You, me, lots of us here and a lot of the twittersphere too.

CallingOutRushOnTheMatterOfConsent.jpg

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If four people give consent it's not rape, but if one person doesn't give consent it is rape?

Sounds right.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'll never under Rush (both the radio discjackass and the screechy band). Some people may think certain sexual acts are weird, but this doesn't prove that anyone is harmed by them. Consent simply means that everyone is a willing participant. At that point, why is it his business?

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is just me, but consent isn't my standard. My minimum acceptable response is enthusiasm.

"Well, OK, I guess so..." is kind of a turn-off. I'm looking for "Hell yeah!"

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While I would agree with the line I bolded there, Limbaugh was referring to acceptability. His suggestion is that there's something wrong with consenting adults having sex that he deems inappropriate.