Russia’s Best Friend in the US Government

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Trump undermines his entire national security team on Syria
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2018/12/19/trump-undermines-his-entire-national-security-team-syria/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1ec745979276

On Monday, the U.S. special representative for Syria engagement publicly pledged that the U.S. commitment to Syria would not waiver. The very next day, Trump reportedly decided to rapidly withdraw all U.S. troops there. Trump appears to be discarding his entire Syria and Iran strategy at a single stroke, giving up any and all U.S. influence in the region — and disregarding the advice of his top national security officials.

If he follows through, Trump’s decision will have devastating and dangerous consequences for the United States, the region and the Syrian people.

Just one of many examples, “the big announcement next Monday” , waving wiki leaks, inviting Russia to hack us, secret meetings in Trump Tower, that are lied about, making equivalence arguments that benefit Russia at his sham summit with Vlad and now turning over Syria to Russia to the detriment of the Kurds, our Allies and arguably the Syrian people.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I do like that the very thread title admits (implicitly) that the US still engages in proxy wars whenever it sees fit.

Ah the sun never sets on the empire. We can start admitting what we are now right?
no, we are the "good guys",,,,,,,,,,,, funny as hell most who watched Sniper thought he was a great guy, and I was like, er dude is breaking & entering sovereign homes and holding families hostage looking for terrorist while creating terrorist in the process...............

Reactions: FrenchRoasted

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have said that I want less foreign engagements, but Trump is running a circus. We do have locals and Allies who have made choices in the region based on our verbal commitment. We need to get Mr Erratic President out.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I have said that I want less foreign engagements, but Trump is running a circus. We do have locals and Allies who have made choices in the region based on our verbal commitment. We need to get Mr Erratic President out.
that is their fault for trusting Obama......

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Do you actually read the news? Until a couple of days ago, two years into the Circus Presidency, the US was commited to a presence in the region.
because the CIA once again provided terrorist with chem weapons, Trump had said when he was elected that he was going to end it.......

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Should've done it on day one, but at least he got there eventually. Now move on to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Mr President......

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
because the CIA once again provided terrorist with chem weapons, Trump had said when he was elected that he was going to end it.......
Ok, then he is completely incompetent and unsuited to lead. He is all about ME, knows nothing about team, does not get briefings or does not listen or communicate with his National Security team or our Allies.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Ok, then he is completely incompetent and unsuited to lead. He is all about ME, knows nothing about team, does not get briefings or does not listen or communicate with his National Security team or our Allies.
Agreed, fully.

The only pushback I have on this comment is that absolutely no one should listen to the current National Security Advisor if we’re not looking to *provoke* WWIII.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed, fully.

The only pushback I have on this comment is that absolutely no one should listen to the current National Security Advisor if we’re not looking to *provoke* WWIII.
I disagree to some degree. :) You think we are trying to cause WWIII? Now when Trump is bating Dictators, who may have nukes, I can wonder about that.

But I think there is a section of the US government who are charged with acting on Trump’s lunacy, that are pushing back, resisting, trying to soothe our Allies who maybe losing their minds. I think Trump is oblivious, he shoots from the hip, based on his ignorant gut, not based on any kind of a realistic logic process, other than maybe what benefits him.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I disagree to some degree. :) You think we are trying to cause WWIII? Now when Trump is bating Dictators, who may have nukes, I can wonder about that.

But I think there is a section of the US government who are charged with acting on Trump’s lunacy, that are pushing back, resisting, trying to soothe our Allies who maybe losing their minds. I think Trump is oblivious, he shoots from the hip, based on his ignorant gut, not based on any kind of a realistic logic process, other than maybe what benefits him.
Yes, it's called the Deep State.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

No, I think John Bolton is a bloodthirsty maniac whose assessments and tactics will result in WWIII if implemented. I’m specifically calling that monster out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No, that’s the Right Wing’s fairy tale created to fool their gullible.
So what was Obama referring to when he called it “the Blob”?

Read up on the history of the Dulles Brothers, there has always been unelected power in the government trying to influence the country regardless of the orders of the president. Hell, that apparatus is what intentionally lied to JFK in an effort to turn the Bay of Pigs into a shooting war with Cuba.

Or perhaps read some transcripts of the Church Committee and how every block on those actions have since been undone. There’s always actors in governments with their own agendas.

It’s not a secretive cabal, but networks of extremely powerful and connected people who’s interests line up at a given time until they don’t.

Reactions: jkcerda

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
File this under the "we broke it, so we have to fix it" foreign policy. This was the justification for staying in Vietnam, that turned out well.
There is no Santa Claus, but there is a deep state. It's nothing more that the permanent bureaucracy in Washington that includes a lot of military contractors and their neocon cheerleaders. Trump's populist instinct on Syria happens to be right this time, we need to GTF out of there but there are many forces allied against him.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
File this under the "we broke it, so we have to fix it" foreign policy. This was the justification for staying in Vietnam, that turned out well.
There is no Santa Claus, but there is a deep state. It's nothing more that the permanent bureaucracy in Washington that includes a lot of military contractors and their neocon cheerleaders. Trump's populist instinct on Syria happens to be right this time, we need to GTF out of there but there are many forces allied against him.
Well put.

Notice how the likes of Rumsfeld and Cheney managed to be in the various war planning departments for decades shaping foreign policy along with the RAND institute.

Hell the Kagan’s have been running various activities for years as well. Victoria Nuland was in Obama’s administration. This from a “peaceful” president.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Perfect!
[doublepost=1545342300][/doublepost]
This from a “peaceful” president.
If Obama was peaceful then I am actually Henry Alfred Kissinger, born 5/27/1923 in Furth, former NSA and Secretary of State, currently promoted to the role of PRSI reinstated user.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Frankly, the nutjobs like Alex Jones are doing a massive disservice by purposely turning the concept of a deep state into a joke, when the academic term has been around for decades and acknowledged by plenty of government officials in recent decades.

Anytime you hear of a DoD official or a multi billionaire donor nixing a plan from the Oval Office, that act is that of the term “deep state”.

It’s not a secret dungeon with men in robes, but merely a power structure outside the confines of democratic (small “D”) oversight.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So what was Obama referring to when he called it “the Blob”?

Read up on the history of the Dulles Brothers, there has always been unelected power in the government trying to influence the country regardless of the orders of the president. Hell, that apparatus is what intentionally lied to JFK in an effort to turn the Bay of Pigs into a shooting war with Cuba.

Or perhaps read some transcripts of the Church Committee and how every block on those actions have since been undone. There’s always actors in governments with their own agendas.

It’s not a secretive cabal, but networks of extremely powerful and connected people who’s interests line up at a given time until they don’t.
Those powerful people can swing right or left. But the current argument that Trump pushback is the deep state strikes me as a partisan excuse. Pushing back against stupid makes perfect sense and can result in a huge coalition of people, across a spectrum of political leanings. Call it the sensible State trying to wash away corruption, idiocy, and incompetence.
[doublepost=1545346162][/doublepost]

Here is a good article:

The Deep State Is Real
But it might not be what you think.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/05/deep-state-real-cia-fbi-intelligence-215537

For Trump, a man who has always defined himself against caricatured enemies, the deep state is a useful boogeyman that allows him to merge several disparate political targets—real, exaggerated and imagined—into a single villain he can use to rally his supporters. The media’s role is particularly crucial: When Fox News host Sean Hannity tweeted on June 16 that he would open his show that night with an examination of “the deep state’s allies in the media,” the president of the United States retweeted him. It’s not easy to make conservatives distrust law enforcement and intelligence officials, but showing them to be in league with snotty liberal reporters makes that possible.

Last edited:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Most of us can agree that most (if not all) of the US's recent Wars have been to satisfy Corporate profiteering. Yet, there's hardly a mention of how reprehensible these Corporate actions are, but instead it is always the Governments fault. Some faulty thinking there...