Russia: 48% expect a return of Stalinist-era repression

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 31, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

but,

That's a very odd contradiction. Worry about it, but don't talk about it.

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-stalin-great-terror-repressions-kgb-/26664535.html

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not surprised so many in Russia feel this way. My thoughts have always been that even if there is a time of relative normalcy and perceived prosperity in Russia, there is always something sinister brewing just under the surface. I think the next "revolution" will be right around the corner.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think that seems rather unlikely. Stalin was as bad as Hitler.

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Stalin died 60 years ago, and most of his crimes have been white-washed out of Russian history. He is still seen as the Victor of the “Great Patriotic War”.

To the youth of today he is seen as a figure of POWER, these four Russian proverbs best sum up how most Russians think about Stalin now.

Сила солому ломит.

Лу́чшее -- враг хоро́шего.

Не так стра́шен чёрт, как его́ малю́ют.

Пан или пропа́л.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's because they don't want to be vaporized or visit joycamp. B-B! B-B! B-B! Er...I mean Pu-tin! Pu-tin! Pu-tin!:p

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Seems like it's in the blood, and culture; many of the old power brokers are still running around with the old mindset.

Hence feeling comfortable with invading your neighbors, despite living in a global economy that requires cooperation with the EU and USA. Only a communist acumen would be so bold because they don't need anyone, just "the state"

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really, the problem was that the transition from the Soviet regime to whatever you call this other thing was horribly mishandled. This is what you get when you try to just flat drop Austrian-School ideals (glibertarianism) on top of a country. Life is chaotic (everyone must have a dashcam to get by) and the Russian Mafia basically has a tight-fisted grip on things.

But it is kind of ironic, in a way, as the Republicans would dearly love to drag the US back to the McCarthy era, so there is a sort of symmetry there.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I read that when Stalin's mother asked him what he did for a living, he said "I'm something like a Tsar. The Russian people, they need a Tsar."

There might be some truth to that. I firmly believe that in many parts of the world, a strongman is a better option than democracy.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Better even would be a strongman as president of a democracy.

[​IMG]

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The Founders deliberately limited executive power and Congress has since limited it even more (i.e. the War Powers act.)