Russia announces rearmament plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Mar 17, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Whilst I like a strong Russia, their money could be spent in a much more beneficial way.

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

I find it strange that they fear NATO in a certain way. I do understand how NATO and the US are beginning to influence Independent countries that border or are near Russia but when ever I read one of these articles I get the feeling that Russia thinks NATO is actually going to invade which would be impossible. Makes me feel nervous.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Considering the modernization of both China's and India's military currently, as well as the US's continued (though diminishing) dominance militarily - At face value this makes a lot of sense for Russia.

There is a lot of impicit competitiveness in the (trans)Caucasus due to natural resources, and the continued necessity for strength in sea lanes coming in and out of the Indian Ocean.

Of course, as far as NATO goes - I am not sure if that organization is going to have the continued relevance it has traditionally enjoyed. Increased membership has diluted it's original role, as has the fact that most of the interesting stuff now happens in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Russia could very well be a strategic partner in new alliances, and can negotiate better terms with some military heft behind it.

Or it could just be a matter of National Pride...

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

NO! BAD RUSSIA! *smack*

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

What?!?! Russians wont be using AK47's anymore?!?!

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

They are a paper tiger at best.

Pushing the Obama administration hard to get concessions before the next Republican President comes along.

With the price of oil now tanking, they couldn't afford to repaint their missles let alone build new ones...

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I wouldn't be so sure. Russia has a huge advantage with natural resources of all kinds, not just oil.

Militarily they are still a match for the US. Perhaps they have outdated tactics and equipment but lets not forget they still have enough nuclear weapons to obliterate most of the western world. Plus enough chemical weapons to finish off what is left. Then on top of that they have one of the largest tank forces in the world plus a huge number of conscripted soldiers.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They supply most of Europe's Gas supplies and the Asian sub continent too, so they have plenty of money. The fact is a country like Russia doesn't need to re arm, they have enough man power to simply chuck a load of men with AK47's into a battle field and win.

10. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Good for Russia. :) As long as they aren't coming for me I'm happy. ;)

Can somebody answer a question for me re Russia? What exactly is located in Eastern Russia? It seems like the population is primarily in the west. Is there something out there or is it like the northern part of the country where there are no major human settlements other than Murmansk and a few others in the Kola Peninsula.

TBH I think the only nuclear related things they can afford won't make much of a difference.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Lovely, just lovely. I wonder how long it will be until they try to push into eastern Europe.

Don

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So the US can spend what it likes (on arms) and trot round the globe "freeing" others, but if Russia decides it needs to bring its arms up to date (all the while remembering you, the US, are building a missile system on their doorstep) then it's not OK and they about to start invasions?

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, man. They are evil communists that have all their citizens in gulags and they own all their citizens stuff.

I finked every1 newed dat?

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm leery about a country that has an ex-KGB agent as the PM rearming themselves, especially when that country forced countries to stay in the Warsaw Pact, and violently put down any attempt to leave the pact (Hungary 1956).

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm leery about most countries having the arms they do. If you want to look back in history no one is squeaky clean, an no one can really be trusted. Russia is no different. Why should they have to justify themselves?

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Because of Russia's history.

Don

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It is another case of double standards. America has few too many skeletons in her closet for my liking, but comparatively few are questioning the only country ever to use a nuclear weapon on humans.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What about it? Are you implying America has no such shady history?

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've heard, and this is just a rumor, that Britain might have some imperialistic history. Although, it is just hearsay. So we will ignore that.

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm implying that Russia was responsible for turning half of Europe into puppet states, that where only able to exist because of the suppression of millions of people.

Don

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Like I said, everyone has a history they shouldn't necessarily be proud of, and that taken it to consideration should mean that no one has anything more than a rubber band gun. Things are how they are though, and Russia is perfectly entitled to beef up it's arms without everyone going nuts.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There isn't a huge amount anybody can do about it, anyway.

24. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So was it okay for Germany to beef up their military after Hitler came to power? Russia isn't that different from post WWI Germany IMO.

Don

25. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm no great military history buff, so I won't pretend to be, but...was the Vietnam war a good idea, were the Iraq wars a good idea? Would they have happened if the US wasn't armed as well as it is?