Russia is mobilizing...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Oct 14, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

"Since September, Russia has conducted a nationwide civil defense drill, purportedly involving 40 million people, preparing them for catastrophes -- among them nuclear fallout. Russia’s military announced who would run the country in the event of war and ran an exercise simulating that in the south. The governor of St. Petersburg clarified what bread rations people could expect should Russia come under attack (300 grams for 20 days)."

http://abcnews.go.com/International...uclear-war-amid-us-tensions/story?id=42773541

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The Russians are playing a very stupid game.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

why?

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I can't answer for him, my own opinion? Russia is broke, yes America is broke but we still control the primary currency of the World. Russia can't project power militarily far from the homeland simply because it doesn't have the funds, logistics or manpower. Russia can't win a conventional war with the US, any attempt by them to do so would lead to heavy Russian loses which forces them to open up the canned sunshine.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Seems like Russia is saber rattling during an election year.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they are getting ready since they don't think their man trump will win.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

with Hillary blaming the Russians for everything, and Ovomit bombing syrian troops even after a cease fire was declared then he can only get ready as he sees fit should Hillary make it into office. as pointed out Russia can't afford a conventional war BUT they can go full retard with nukes should Hillary go full retard herself in order to kill Assad.

8. zin macrumors 6502

The Russians have been treated terribly by the U.S. Government. If Clinton gets in, the situation will only deteriorate.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I agree. as much as i don't like it, there is no way that Russia can keep the current borders and the current low level of influence without making LOTS of noise.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They are playing a very dangerous game. Their economy is not exactly thriving at the moment, 2/3 of their land area consists of permafrost which is melting into an uninhabitable morass, per capita health metrics are poor, wealth disparity is immense, and respect for democracy is superficial at best. Putin is executing the oldest trick in the book - creating a siege mentality - and it is working beautifully.

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

This is exactly why we should play very careful with them.
    Russia is a wounded animal, but still an animal with powerful nukes.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

"THEY" are playing a "game", oclueless and pig hillary have been poking the hornets nest for a while trying to remove Assad, Russia bombs ISIS and O-stupid bombs Syrian troops . we happen to be about 20 TRILLION in debt, where are we going to get the money for war? borrow from the Saudis who fund ISIS? another loan from China?

13. subsonix macrumors 68040

I beleive the US only got involved after it was clear ISIS made progress in Syria. I.e several years after the civil war broke out. This intensified after the terror attacks in France. Everyone seems to have a common enemy in ISIS, but last year when Russia joined, it soon became clear that they also targeted anti Assad rebels.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The situation between Russia and the US started when the Soviet Union fell. We were so concerned with winning the Cold War so that it would never go hot, we never planned on what to do once we won. When the Soviet Union fell the West was too busy clapping and celebrating that they fell rather than offer the Russians a hand to enter the modern age. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Right on man. So we should all vote for Drumpf so the tensions subside.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I miss the Nuclear Freeze movement. When Russia moved SS-20s into Eastern Europe their response was: denounce Ronald Reagan as a war monger, hang used tampons on the perimeter fences of American military bases, and excuse the Soviet Union's saber-rattling as "peacekeeping."

My oh my, how the times have changed. Now the same leftist-liberals apologize for droning and bombing civilians, conducting regime changes, and threatening war all over the world. And the Russians are the ultimate boogeymen.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Putin - don't be stupid, and try to attack the most powerful military in the world...the US. Dude has seriously lost his mind if he thinks he can scare or beat the US.

18. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He won't. He'll wait for US intervention in Syria and then he'll conquest Ukraine and possible some other ex-URSS countries. NATO will have to intervene in Europe, and the US won't be able to withstand a proxy war and a direct war at the same time.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Dude I'm really getting tired of people like you lumping every liberal in one convenient box.

I am against drones. Period. And if you haven't listened to Putin lately you're missing out on the other guy threatening war all over the world.

As a matter of fact why don't you just move to Moscow. You seem to like that country better.

20. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Food is terrible.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Good luck trying that! WAY too many smart people in DC to not see that coming. I am willing to bet some of the Top Secret meetings are about a possible future attack from Russia.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Russia is more or less impotent in 2016. But for its existing nuclear stockpile, Russia is Brazil with snow.

23. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If two nuclear powers attack each other on their soils... well, it's over for humanity.

24. subsonix macrumors 68040

Who here are proposing bombing civilians and conducting regime change?

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

While I partially agree, I think you are overestimating the likelihood that Russia's political system was set to evolve into something truly democratic and equitably prosperous, as well as the ability of the US to help achieve that outcome.