Russia relations under deep freeze under Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

https://www.google.ca/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN14A0XT?client=safari

US Russian relations are currently in the worst shape they have been in since the Cold War thanks to Obama & co and he continues to put the relationship into further turmoil a month before he gets kicked out of the White House. Hopefully Trump will be able to deal and salvage this burning ship.

A good closer on an administration that started out by trying to "reset" relations with Russia but in reality just made themselves look like fools.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Good, I'm all for more sanctions and more buildup on their border.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the Russians hacked your election...

4. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The Russians may have released damning information about Hillary, even if that is confirmed I fail to see how that is a loss, she was a piece of ****.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Ask yourself why your biggest geopolitical threat* wanted Trump to win...

25-ish years after the end of the Cold War, Russia has won.

*according to the previous Republican candidate no less

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it's pretty likely to damage relations...

And wake me up when any alternative theory on the hacks passes the smell test.

7. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The current administration has lashed out because Russia doesn't respect them, Hillary wanted to start a war. I could see why they would want a reasonable person in.

Either way they didn't have a vote in this, no hacking was found on voter totals whatsoever and Hillary actually lost votes on recount.

If they helped in anyway on releasing truthful information about Hillary cheating during the elections I'd say that's a +1

If North Korea released Donald Trumps tax return everyone would be cheering on the left. Such hypocrisy

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Wait... So Hillary lost only because Russians hacked the USA and released damaging information on her? Well, had she not been an idiot with national security, she may have had a better chance!

All that aside, she lost because she got lazy and didn't campaign like she needed to in the states that she needed to win.

She was lazy, plain and simple. Pinning her losing on the Russians is about as daft as it comes.

9. juanm, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No, she lost because she was a bad candidate, whose hubris misled her into thinking she deserved to be president. Russia's probable involvement -via social media campaigns (astroturfing)- gave her a nudge out. Pushing Sanders out of the race so that he wouldn't overshadow her didn't help either. Karma is a bitch.

Pretty much anyone would have won against Trump, and yet the Democratic establishment had to put up against him the one candidate that was even less likeable than Trump. It would all be good if they were fighting for a medal, but many will suffer the consequences of putting him in such a position of power.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You have no idea what would have happened if someone released his tax returned. The fact is a foreign government illegally interfered with our election and because it was for the guy you wanted to win, you don't care.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Please. Tell me what they hacked. Voting machines?

Terms matter in international relations. If you want to talk about a leak go ahead, but getting an idiot to click on a link and provide a password is NOT hacking.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    Hmmm, wait, is America finally getting a dose of it's own election shenanigans for once?

I mean, we've only "interfered" with about every election in South America, literally bought an Italian election, overthrown and assassinated democratically elected officials in at least 3 countries, and even picked the PM of Ukraine not even three years ago.

America suddenly giving a **** about people interfering with an election when it's ours just looks like the bully who becomes a crying mess when the scrawny kid on the playground finally punches back in the nose.

No it's not a good thing, but let's get off our hollow high horse, it's collapsing under the American Way/(weight).

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

You act as if this is the first time a foreign government has ever been involved in our elections.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Right? This entire charade is a feigned moral outrage (we don't have morals foreign policy wise to begin with) is the democratic party acknowledging that it has no plans to change and need an out, while the neocon establishment figures in the intelligence agencies get their pretext for conflict with Russia.

14. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

First we haven't seen any hard evidence that this actually is what occurred, second, if foreign governments want to interfere in elections by releasing true information to help inform the voters I would encourage it.

Democrats wish they wouldn't have buried Bernie right around now.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Meanwhile, in reality, the Russians have as little idea of what Trump will do as President as anyone else has.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm still waiting on the gov't to official release information proving their claims. Also, I'm not sure how it's even relevant as Obama knew they were hacking in upwards of over one year ago and did nothing. It's only being brought up because Trump won and they need a scapegoat.

Clinton had been saying for years that they weren't the main thread and actually and ally. She said Iran was our greatest thread.

In the end, everyone is hacking everyone and they weren't the cause of Clinton losing. In a way the ends does justify the means as the means in this case cause no other damage to our country other than leaking out information the Clinton campaign wanted to hide. Perhaps they should have "gone high" as she always proclaimed. :rolleyes: The irony with that statement was always laughable but with the release of all the information it was split my gut laughable.......Clinton's taking the high-road? Yeah.....right.
    The dems are working with their security officials to insure whatever stories and details they make up are solid. ;)

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand he has filled his cabinet with oilmen and Hilary would have been liberal on the environment.

And Russia is an oil state. Hell its probably more ****ed than any other country if oil becomes worthless.

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

His cabinet choices are a good indicator...

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No doubt Putin is not a fan of Obama and his Obamalism policies. He probably doesn't like him on many personal levels either. Same for Clinton. I don't see Putin as respecting either for many reasons. He and Trump probably align more in many ways in terms of simply being able to tolerate one another let alone actually deal with one another.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The Russians did the American people a huge service. They revealed the lies and corruption of the DNC. They also acted in their own best interests to avoid a war with us lead by Hillary.

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. He's lining up to do exactly what he said he was going to do including the types of people he put in his cabinet. Anyone who is shocked wasn't paying attention.
    Agree. Just like news reporters digging for dirt then releasing it. They didn't create the dirt, they are just uncovering it.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Like the video tape of Trump they held onto for 8 months.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This whole thread is a bad joke. Title of thread says Russian relations under deep freeze under Obama. Thread promptly turns into discussion of election hack. Nowhere in the whole thread are actual Russian and USA relationships discussed in re geopolitical interests in the regions where we are particularly intertwined, e.g. Europe via EU-NATO and the Middle East --specifically with respect to Syrian conflict-- so also our and Russia's relationships with Turkey and Iran. But then I suppose any considerations of our policies in context of all those relationships would be too much of a strain on our desire to think of everything as a) binary and b) permanent.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet Trump has surrounded himself by the same people, who on the record in senate and house hearings, are cheerleading more war and aggression with Russia, still calling for a no fly zone in Syria (which again, means war with Russia), and in terms of Keane is actively calling for arming 35 more countries against "ISIS" (whom in that very hearing Jonie Earnst let the cat out of the bag in admitting that what we call ISIS monolithically is actually many different groups we are just assigning the name ISIS to).

American foreign policy continues on unimpeded, regardless of party or President.

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

And I disagree with those positions. I want to just leave Syria and the entirety of the Mid East behind us. F*** 'em. Let's focus on the US and our issues here.