Russia taking over the Europe?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulk2012, Apr 25, 2014.

1. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

Wonder what your thoughts are on the quite disturbing topic nowadays of Russia taking over Europe forcing World War III ? Will it happen?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

A little premature to say Russia is taking over Europe.

3. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is what it is..

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Last I saw the news, every European country that was in existence 2 years ago is still in existence today.

So what is this news of Russia taking over all of Europe? When did this happen?

As dukebound85 said, a bit premature.

BL.

5. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

There are many things about Russia that disturb me, but I wasn't aware they are trying to take over Europe. Oligarchy, expansionism, violently bigoted towards homosexuals, these are things I observe of Russia, but I don't think they are crazy or stupid enough to try to "take over Europe." Hyperbole really doesn't help digest the news regarding the situation in Ukraine, so if you have facts or a link to share, please do.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I honestly don't think that Russia could afford to take over Europe.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They haven't even taken over a country, let alone a continent.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Obviously the worry is whether we are witnessing the same type of nibbling at adjacent countries' borders like that seen by Germany prior to World War II. If we are seeing a process like that seen before WWII, Russia would continue to expand, little by little. Eastern Ukraine would be next, followed by some parts of southern Ukraine, followed by Baltic states. If things follow the WWII script, at some point appeasing Russia would encourage Putin to cross a line that could not be tolerated and hostilities will erupt.

In any case I note two things: First, Putin has cleverly distracted the world from his outright illegal land grab of Crimea by threatening eastern Ukraine. Second, Russian planes and ships have been buzzing around the edges of the UK's territory north of Scotland. They haven't really done much of that since the Cold War. I do not know if this situation will spiral out of control, but it does look like the start of a new Cold War and if it is people are likely to suffer in proxy wars. Way to go Putin! :mad:

10. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Get your story straight and read some facts before you write here anything please?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Am I the only one who see the irony of this post.

You haven't provided one fact that Russia is taking over Europe, but mrsir2009 is supposed to "read some facts" before posting here?:rolleyes:

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

To answer your question NO.

The Ukraine is not a member of NATO, and not a member of the EU.

This will not end up a shooting war, because unlike Iraq back in 2003 Russia really does have WMD.:p

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Russian GDP: $1.86 trillion USD (2011)
    UK GDP: $2.45 trillion USD (2011)
    France GDP: $2.77 trillion USD (2011)
    Germany GDP: $3.60 trillion USD (2011)

Russia literally could not afford to take over Europe.

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-27157504

From that article: The MoD said similar incidents happened eight times during 2013.

It's a game which has been ongoing for over fifty years.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think Putin wants Europe. I think he would like to get the old Back To The USSR band together, and play a few tunes.

It's morning in Moscow.

16. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Me neither, I think he wants to consolidate what he thinks he can get away with, without totally upsetting the apple cart.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sorry, I don't follow you. What was Germany's GDP right before it took over Western Poland, the low countries, and France? It is pretty clear that Russia doesn't have the economic means it needs to fully integrate Crimea into Russia, but, that doesn't seem to be stopping Putin from messing around in the eastern part of Ukraine.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

It had advantages that Russia doesn't have right now. We would have to look at the military spending in comparison to the countries around it. Russia and Euroasia make up approximately 5% of military spending in the world. They're the third highest, whereas there are three European countries that are within the top 10. If you were to take two of those countries, you'd be outspending Russia.

Russia also doesn't have better weaponry, wouldn't have the element of surprise, and doesn't have a strategy that nobody has seen before.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The 'game' supposedly ended when the USSR broke up, and I note the dates you cite are after Russia's war with Georgia. I do not accept that there has been a Cold War continuously over 50 years. We had peace between NATO & Russia for quite a long time. Then Putin came to power.

20. Happybunny, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well I think that you should practice what you preach.
    This is from one of the influential German newspapers. The Germans and the rest of Europe do not share your warmongering ways.

The main thrust of this whole article is that is problem in Ukraine was set in motion by the EU and US.

http://www.welt.de/debatte/kommenta...gen-Putin-Die-Deutschen-zoegern-zu-Recht.html

How about you posting some facts or even an opinion.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think he is angling for a little more. He seems to be harking back to 19th century Pan-Slavism at times: Russia surrounded by friendly Slavic countries in a Slavic economic sphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Slavism

In the 19th century, there were times when this appealed to some of those other countries, especially in the Balkans, where the other two choices were the Austro-Hungarian empire, and, the Ottoman Empire. Today, I think there is a lot more nostalgia for "Mittel-Europa" than for Russian dominance.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

but then the germans have proven to be easily mislead about who's "a hitler" in the past :p

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The US deal with Gorbachev was that in return for quiescence over the reunification of Germany, we would not expand NATO eastward. We lied.

Putin's gripe over our $5 billion to topple the democratically elected thug in Ukraine and our effort to get Ukraine into the EU would have meant the expansion of NATO to another part of the Russian border. Plus, the loss of Sevastapol as Russia's warm-water port. In his view, that's unacceptable.

(I don't have to like the dude to see his viewpoint. :))

So far, Putin has our machinations looking childish--and much of the rest of the world agrees: http://rt.com/op-edge/154836-kerry-usa-rt-attack-bullhorns/ Just another example of Obama's Ineptocracy at work.

I've been reading Pepe's stuff in the Asia Times Online for a good while, along with other commentaries there, to see how the rest of the world sees our policies and actions. He's a pretty sharp dude.

If you watch the efforts by the BRICS and particularly the energy deals with Russia/China and China/Iran to get away from the US $ in world trade, US folks better pray. Those countries are well on their way to making the US $ just some colored paper.

24. alent1234 macrumors 603

since the europeans don't seem to care about this, i don't think the USA should be sending more troops to europe
    get the french and germans to expand their militaries to stand up to russia

25. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Distance from Moscow to Kiev - 530 miles. Warsaw to Kiev - 480 miles. Berlin to Kiev - 830 miles. Paris to Kiev - 1460 miles.

Europe is big.