Russian Company Dismantles iPhone Statue Allegedly Over Discovering Apple CEO is Gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by needfx, Nov 3, 2014.

1. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

That was certainly quick, and sad.

https://news.vice.com/article/russi...one-statue-after-discovering-apple-ceo-is-gay

Vice also had a piece a few months back relating to the discrimination and violence homosexuals experience in some parts of the country and Moscow. Worth having a look. Just browse through their video section, you'll come across it.

For some reason, homophobia is on the rise in certain parts of the planet instead of decreasing, and violence is also peaking. Even in Athens, Greece we have had discriminatory attacks not two months ago.

Such a shame this day and age.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Not surprising at all. I was watching on TV recently some documentary that showed how common it is in Russia for these homophobic hate groups to lure gay men over the internet to meet up in person only to end up brutally attacking them.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In mother russia, they do not like teh gay...

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Russia will learn one day. I don't see what this has to do with Steve Jobs though. It wasn't as if he was gay.

5. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This is maybe not true:

http://rt.com/news/201855-steve-jobs-memorial-gay/

I know RT is not the most reliable of sources (hey I have RT, Fox, NPR, the Guardian, and the BBC among others on my iphone for example) but this looks legit.

6. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

thanks!!

7. brianvictor7 macrumors 65816

brianvictor7

The hypocrisy of the Russian government never fails to exceed my expectations.

In this case, however, it does appear that the monument was removed because of a faulty screen, but it seems the company which set it up doesn't have much interest in doing so. Source of info is here.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I can understand not supporting gays but taking down the Steve Jobs likeness was uncalled for.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

...meanwhile, NATO continues it's creeping encirclement of Russia. We should be glad that removing an iPhone statue is all they've done.