Russian fake news: Who's is really to blame?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Dec 18, 2016.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Even if Russia is behind fake news stories during the election who is really to blame?

Where was all this outrage when newspapers and other news outlets started taking large sums of money for promoted news stories. Basically advertisements made to look like news. Some outlets don't even list these as advertisements. In most cases it is pretty clear what they are after you start reading but if they do this for a simple AD why wouldn't they take money for more subtle "news" stories that push an agenda?
    -
    If we are willing to accept this why then would we be surprised/upset when we see other fake/untrue news from these same outlets?
    -
    Shouldn't some of this blame be directed news outlets for having absolutely zero(or very close to zero) journalistic integrity?

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me that the majority of the fake news stems from those who have supported Hillary, all during the campaign. Editors and reporters of the WaPo and the NYT. Various TV dudes of MSNBC and CNN.

As far as Russia? Sorry, but I'm underwhelmed by anonymous somebodies who are spoken of as experts by some few previously unknown individuals and their maunderings are then reported as worthwhile news by the aforementioned WaPo and NYT et al.

I'll believe Wikileaks long before I'd grant any credibility toward some creature like Zindars:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-18/meet-leftist-professor-who-wrote-hit-list-fake-news-sites