Russian Hackers get into major liberal media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ARE you afraid the hackers might show favoritism to Hillary? funny how when things are exposed you guys jump all over the messenger instead of looking at the message.

3. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

If these bleep hackers would only go after Republicans... they(hackers) would be so loved...

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Did you read the article you linked?

Link for Trump flirting with New York Times-hating Russian cyber spies in 2008, please.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Well I think it's justifiable to be concerned about Trump when he freely said, "Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

So he pretty much invited the attention and the hacking. Can we definitively blame HIM, no. But he's a contributing factor.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

please, Hillary got millions into the foundation as a freaking bribe and you worry about trump :rolleyes:.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I never said I didn't worry about Hillary. But I don't think the leader of the US should instigate foreign countries to hack our systems either. Do you? Is that Presidential. Joke/Sarcasm or not. You don't say things like that.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

It depends. If our system is so corrupted that FBI/CIA/NSA/HomSec can't do their job, then yeah... please hack us.

9. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

You do realize wanting a foreign government to hack our institutions is very illegal right ?

And it it is also described as a traitor. Punishable by death.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

FYI wanting still falls under the 1st amendment. I can want the rise of the inbreed between Hitler and Stalin (Hitlin or Staler, your choice) and the destruction of the world as much as I want. I can't really act on it, except where permissible by law.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You keep making this sort of claim; without any actual evidence to back it up.

Hacking of any organization is almost always a criminal act. It compromises the security; finances; and fundamental privacy of everybody involved.

Democratic and liberal people and organizations in this country believe elections should be decided on the issues and the qualifications of the candidates concerned. Elections should not be determined due to vote-rigging; to unConsititutional disenfranchisement. And most certainly not due to the criminal acts of a hostile foreign power.

The thing about privacy breaches such as this: If you don't stand up and reject it now; when it happens to people you disagree with; it becomes a lot more difficult to expect much sympathy when it happens to people you do support.

I believe that Donald Trump should voluntarily release his tax returns. His failure to do so, in and of itself, tells us plenty about the man's character. But I would utterly reject the hacking of Trump's accountant or financial adviser to obtain that document. Why? Because once you've said its "OK" to hack some people's private information - it makes it that much easier to hack yours.

12. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

So you're saying any citizen that wants ISIS to kill people is just exercising his 1st. amendment right ?

Better tell the FBI,CIA and NSA because they've arrested a few people for doing that.

13. zin macrumors 6502

"First on CNN" is code for "We're publishing an article without attribution from our friends at the DNC", in order to paint the Russian boogeyman narrative early before Wikileaks dumps the next damaging stuff.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Wanting and inviting are two different things. Just like you can't say you want to do certain things to the president. !st amendment doesn't apply. Are you really suggesting that inviting the Russians to hack our systems is Presidential? Or even pre-Presidential?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

are you aware that our own GOVT spies on us? are you aware of what damage hillary has actually done to other countries? come on.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Very aware. That doesn't excuse a Presidential candidate from baiting Russian hackers.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

It depends, because you get into the paradoxical situation in which you end up protecting a tyrannical government which is anti-American and anti-constitutional by definition even if all the bureaucratic layers are in order. So either way you might be a traitor.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

to do what? release what they already hacked? her server is "offline".

19. samcraig macrumors P6

You're missing the point. It's irrelevant if something could be hacked. A Presidential candidate should not be inviting espionage. Period. Why is this so hard to understand for some?

20. zin macrumors 6502

How is it espionage? Hillary already reassured us that her deleted emails were all personal.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Look up how often Microsoft and other companies share code with other nations. Trying to finger Trump has much less evidence than the news articles that covered tech companies sharing source code. I'll even help you with your research:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-m...e-with-china-and-russia-pose-a-security-risk/

Your turn.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    Presidential candidates also probably shouldn't have servers available through unofficial sources without good reason and being properly set up, or - just about as bad - having IT departments turning off spam filter solutions entrirely because they have no GD clue on how to add a whitelist entry to allow certain addresses to pass through the spam filter. Not having protection invites problems. Setting up a private server incorrectly sure as hell invites more problems than anyone saying anything in front of a frigging podium with the audience not understanding the context of the wording, which seemed pretty damn obvious but whatever... all this is common knowledge, posted on tech forums or even here in PRSI. Haven't people read anything?

In other words, both sides have been less than imperfect.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Are you intentionally being obtuse?

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Maybe the Republicans had better hired help in setting up their servers. Who knows. Or maybe they have and nothing's been released yet.

In other news, if these make people feel better:

http://www.information-age.com/tech...orporations-have-been-hacked-new-data-reveals

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/19/china-hacking-us-companies-for-secrets-despite-cyber-pact-.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-m...e-with-china-and-russia-pose-a-security-risk/

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/index.htm

etc, most people highly doubt any of the people involved are preferring one side or the other.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

She didn't send or receive classified info bro

25. zin macrumors 6502

Wouldn't be espionage if they hacked yoga routines. That's a fact.

For the record, if someone has her deleted emails, I hope they release them. Given Hillary's record on telling the truth regarding her emails, I'd say there's more than yoga routines there. Sad that people have to rely on hackers to fulfil FOIA requests.