Russian officials dump iPads over spy fears

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bigchief, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Rodster macrumors 68040

This has zero to do about the iPad's security. Memo, need to stop watching Dancing With The Stars and catch up on geopolitics. Just to bring you up to speed, both the US and Russians are in the middle of a cafeteria food fight. :D

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

My guess is you can't install custom roms on iPads

5. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never watched Dancing with the stars and I am up to date with what's going on in the world.

So you're saying they did it for show not security. Ok, that's what I want to know.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

I should have inserted [sarc]. But yes right now it's tit for tat, you sanction us, we'll sanction you. You hurt our economy and businesses and we'll hurt yours.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Has to do with the Ukraine area ;) Sanctions this and I'll get you back sort of thingy

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

They should ditch all digital communications if they don't want to be spied by the NSA.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The US would boycott Russian products too, but they don't produce anything of value.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Android runs on top of Linux, so the Kremlin could, at least in theory, modify the kernel or some other underlying system components to suit their needs. By comparison, the iPad runs on top of XNU/darwin, which are also kind of open-source-ish, as well as being more modular, but getting at the iOS core is a little more if a challenge for end users.

Interesting, though, that the story comes to us via google ...

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that the whole mess in Crimea was instigated by Samsung, to get back at Apple.:p

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I do not understand your statement of "runs on top of" in both cases(iOS, Android).

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

In operating systems, they have this thing called a "kernel" which is the core of the system through which all other programs must communicate. Linux is one kernel design, XNU+darwin is another – the functionality is pretty similar but the design is drastically different. Because the kernel manages "low-level" machine and peripheral operations and access, it is usually depicted as the base of the system and other processes/applications use it to "abstract" their interactions with the machine, allowing them to work consistently on different hardware. The kernel is semantically the lowest layer of a system before you get to the hardware itself, hence "runs on top of".