Russian Opposition Leader Assassinated in Moscow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ucfgrad93, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/02/27/boris-nemtsov-shot-moscow-novosti/24140323/

Looks like Putin doesn't like critics.

But I'm sure the quote below is bringing comfort to the people of Russia.:rolleyes:

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

3. kds1 Suspended

kds1

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I actually doubt Putin ordered the assassination. Though the man has a scary following that is completely intolerant to his opponents.

5. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Think again. The man is former Soviet KGB.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yeah, but he's not stupid. Killing an outspoken critic is a recipe for martyrdom.

7. kds1 Suspended

kds1

That means nothing to Putin. Besides it gets covered up.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No way was Putin involved. Bush looked into Putin's eyes and saw his kind-hearted, angelic soul.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Russian politics is a very dangerous game, it involves both the ballot, bullet and the bomb. Power struggles are settled like mafia dons fighting over power.

That being said, I don’t believe for one moment that Putin ordered this assassination, he after all he comes out the big loser. Putin now days uses the legal system and tax enforcement to silence his political enemies. Boris Nemtsov alive was just a minor part of the opposition, now he’s on everybody’s lips.
    The rally be was going to lead would by all accounts been 20,000 tops, now however it will be far larger.

During the rise of Putin he open the Pandora box of nationalism, in Russia today there are many groups of ultra nationialist who make the US tea party look like cuddly kittens. Each one of these ultra nationialist groups have their own armed enforcers.

Putin might be a terrible man, but believe me there are far worse waiting to step into his place.

For a complete list see link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_nationalism_in_Russia

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Am I right in thinking George H W Bush was Director of Central Intelligence before becoming president so Putin is not alone in that type of background.

11. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It's amazing the equivalency's people try to draw around here.

P.S. GHB has nothing to do with this conversation.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

OK what's difference between the head of the CIA and the head of KGB (other than the CIA is the more vicious of the two)

13. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Putin is already a loser. He has nothing to lose, especially when he can cover it up so easily, and he has the know how. Barely underneath the surface Russia is a mess. Putin is an autocratic dictator who'd like nothimg more than to bring back the "Glory Days" (and I use that term extremely lightly) of the Soviet Union.

----------

This is not what this conversation is about. We are talking about Putin, the murder of his opposition, and his KGB background.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You're quite right the MSM's portrayal of Putin as a bastard because of his KGB background is a given pointing out that he is by no means alone in his CV is off topic.
    You're authoritarian views shine like a beacon.
    (incidentally I do think Putin is a bastard although not alone in that at least he's a clever bastard)

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

You need to reword that first sentence as I can barely understand what you are saying.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Seems clear enough. Punctuation costs money.

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Who's Putin? Isn't he that homoerotic guy who enjoys riding horses while shirtless and who the Republicans spent all of last summer worshipping?

18. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Per Reuters:

What does she expect? For Putin to turn himself in? Ah Angela, your naivety is priceless.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Maybe he can hire the same guys OJ did to find the real killers.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

considering this is the 4th opposition politician having a violent death i'm not so sure anymore

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In Soviet Russia bullet come out of nowhere and kill you!

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly, I am not sure what would be worst: More years of Putin, or the collapse of Putin followed probably by somebody with even lower moral values. I hope I am wrong, but this period seems very much like the 1930's - international tensions, economic upheaval, rising extremism of all sorts, and a failure of democracies to provide any sort of real deterrent to territorial aggression. Let us hope the next few years don't wind up like the 1940's....

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Don't forget ballet. Some of those Russian ballerinas could break your back in the sack.

24. kds1, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

I've made that argument but it falls on deaf ears. His annexation of Crimea and the rest of his adventures in Ukraine is very much like Hitler and the Anchluss and the annexation of the Sudentenland. Meanwhile, European leaders act timid in the face of his agression and want to "talk it out". Hitler felt Germany was humiliated after the first WW and it's economy was in a shambles. Putin feels Russia was humiliated by the collapse of the Soviet Union and being on the losing side of the Cold War, and Russia's economy is in a shambles. Hitler scapgoated Jews, Putin persecutes Gays.

Is there no learning from history?

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You make a valid point about the scum waiting in the wings.

I deplore the methods of Mr Putin, but that being said, recent history has taught us that toppling a dictator is not always a reciept for better times.

Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, Hosni Mubarak are examples.

The sad truth is that some countries just need a violent strongman (thug) at the helm.